Covid community numbers and Myocarditis concerns tipped the scale against the fall Pac-12 season

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 12, 2020.

2. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Aug 12, 2020
    I don't see why they even want to try and do a Spring football season... just call it quits for this year and start over with Spring ball in March... but it should be a couple of weeks longer than normal and several more practices allowed.

There will also need to be a modification to the scholarship players allowed since many seniors will be returning that would have been done playing this year.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 12, 2020
    If there is a vaccine for Spring season isn’t it too much to subject player’s bodies to a fall season? Hope the cardiac inflammation Is better understood.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Aug 13, 2020
    There's a chance the ACC and SEC and Big 12 play this fall. With ND playing in the ACC. And that will be great for those teams and conferences. The Pac-12 made a mistake.....

gubo&palanka and KeenObserver like this.
  5. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    The Pac-12 Presidents made the very tough but right call. Player health over public entertainment.

billsb1970 likes this.
  6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 13, 2020
    "Helton said there were still a lot of questions to answer about the possibility of a spring season and that the conference could see where it was on Jan. 1 and then what the viable options would be.

"Ah'ma up fur it long as ah don hafta play Ellerbammer."

7. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    I don't think it was tough at all for them. They needed an excuse and our healthcare system planners sacred the shit out of them with their cardiac complications for the asymptomatic. You know who these planners are - many LCSW types who all enjoy the same groupthink which has morphed beyond what best for the most number of people and want to suck up to Newsome Garcetti and the likes. Politics is above responsibility to the people.

I am going to repeat what I said initially and have heard from several coaches over the past few days now. The cost to people from the shutdown of sports will be greater than having let them play. I posted about ruined lives due to cancellation of the opportunity and forcing people to the NFL early and carriers being dashed. It was nice to hear coach Naivar say that his guys got up early and took the worst news they could get and still took the opportunity to get better. That was great. Maybe they will enjoy a new head coach by the time we get back around to it. Perhaps this is a great force mejure way of getting out of Gomer's remaining contract. Give him $500K per year for a few to just go away.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  8. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Are you sure? What is the increased risk of COVID exposure if these guys play versus if they don't play? That's the key question. Has anybody even attempted to answer it? If so, I haven't seen that analysis.

9. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020

That remains to be seen. If those other conferences start the fall season then have to cancel after a few games then they just look like a bunch of idiots.

Baseball can barely play and those guys dont even have to hit each other.

10. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Trump has already had one of his cabinet members and one of his biggest financial boosters die from covid. The problem is what will be the reaction when something real bad happens, a star player, a coach, a parent. There seems to be an attitude that the teams still playing will never have an issue. I just do not see that happening

11. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Right on Arhedge, it is incalculable. In fact one factor is that players would not be getting into trouble at clubs clandestinely if they were in dorms in a controlled environment on campus. Me thinks it may be the case that they are worse off not participating in a program, should you want to keep them away from the herd that is...

For the other discussions about liability, do you know how many waivers you have to sign to begin with when you sign up to play a sport? And the University often gives them health insurance and other bennies if they become ill. That leaves only damages if they can prove it's civilly reasonable that the institution uniquely hazarded their well being. But that would not be the case here. Then that leaves only lost earnings if the player can never pursue his NFL career and the institution would be to blame. It gets dicier and dicier the more removed you are from the original cause of action. I'm not an attorney by any means but it sounds like these would be acts of God and that the University took precautions like the incessant cleaning and masks and distancing to the coaches and testing frequently and medical staff presence. But even more than that, it would be about the probabilities that any given player would suffer such a loss. They are something on the order of .007% chance even before the precautions already taken 154/21,810,000. CDC says guys between ages 15-24 COVID deaths in the US have been fewer than other causes of pneumonia and totaled 154 out of 12,624 total deaths for the relevant age group. That's 1.2% of all deaths for the age group who were COVID.

BTW @xuscx, which cabinet member died, I've been away from daily news for a while on a project...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Cyrus likes this.
  12. miker1

miker1 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    If they get it playing college and someone dies the school and conference are [email protected]@@ed. If they get it on their own and die the school cant be blamed for that.

13. trojan07

trojan07 Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Good luck proving that you got it while playing and not while you were anywhere else... I'm sure the players discussing unionizing had nothing to do with their plan to pull the rug out from under... FYI... there will be no fall "spring" football either..

User1234 likes this.
  14. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Truly though - I'm curious about the MLB players that have tested positive. Have any of them been hospitalized? Have any of them suffered symptoms severe enough to warrant them sitting out a game or more (as players might do if they had other such illnesses that they couldn't reasonably perform at a decent level?)

I think that if the SEC, ACC, and Big12 do play, it is a virtual certainty that there will be multiple COVID positive cases among the member schools.

However, I'm halfway hoping the commissioners of these respective conferences get their Ivan Drago on when discussing COVID-positive players and coaches and just go, "If he dies......He Dies."

15. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Aug 14, 2020
    Myocarditis can cause sudden cardiac death in athletes. Approximately 75 athletes (13-25) die a year in the USA from heart-related conditions. Generally, around 6% of those die from myocarditis. It tends to happen during or after extended workouts. For prevention of myocarditis and sudden cardiac death it is recommended to stop elite sport for 4 weeks after an unspecific infection. Whether moderate sport can be started earlier is unclear. When myocarditis is verified, athletes have to withdraw from sport for at least 6 months.

The cardiac imaging protocols now put in place by the conferences as part of Covid-19 testing can identify the development of this condition. Keep in mind that so far, nobody in the Pac 12 has even tested positive for it (5 in the B1G have). As long as the testing is put in place (which it has), Myocarditis should be caught early and the player should not be in severe danger...at least not any more danger than a member of the student body that tests positive for Covid-19 and it triggers the condition. In fact it can be argued, as Saban and others have, that since the football players are constantly being monitored and tested, they are at less risk than the population at large of this becoming a serious condition.

....You can even argue that this testing will save more lives than the virus takes. Cam Smith's Covid-19 test revealed a heart abnormality that would have eventually killed him. He's now having surgery to correct it and should be able to lead a normal life that includes football in 2021.

....That is the logic behind the SEC, ACC, and the Big 12 deciding to go ahead with football (for now) this Fall. Is it the right decision?

Time will tell.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Butcher22 likes this.
  16. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Several
    [ˈsev(ə)rəl]
    DETERMINER
    1. more than two but not many.

There are ~170,000 student athletes participating in division 1 athletics. Several of them supposedly have an issue of myocarditis that may or may not be related to CoViD19. That's hardly a case made for myocarditis being a tipping point. Sorry , but this was a political decision.

trojan07 likes this.
  17. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Indeed. Although I would say it was far more a legal liability and public relations (so, ultimately, a financial) decision than anything else. They can dress it up however they want to, but if the university presidents thought the overall costs (dead kids and the resulting PR fallout) was outweighed by the $$$$$, they'd pick the green every time.

18. jerald grossman

jerald grossman Points Member

Aug 19, 2020
  19. SC-88

SC-88 Points Member

Aug 19, 2020
    All cabinet members still alive, none have had covid. National security adviser, Robert O'Brien had covid, but is alive and well.