Could coach O have been successful at SC?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ACETrojan, Jan 8, 2020.

1. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    As I was just reminded....

"Minus the field storming against Stanford, Orgeron's five other wins took advantage of teams with a combined 25-37 record. Only against Cal did USC build a halftime lead of 20-plus points and sustain such a margin throughout the second half."

He's actually been HC since 2016. As we know, SEC teams have to be evaluated more on their conference record as their OOC games tend to be light on competition. With that in mind, Ed has gone 4-2, 6-2, 5-3, and 8-0 in conference. No division or conference title except for this season.

How many of those top 10 wins are from THIS season compared to Bama? And what of the top 10 losses vs non-ranked? LSU lost to a Sunbelt team, at home, 2 years ago. What is the lowest ranked team Bama has lost to in the last 5 years? Bama lost to LSU this year by 4 points and did put 41 points on the Tigers despite LSU failing to put up even ONE point against Bama last season....at home.

In 2018, LSU finished the season barely making the Top 20. How does that make Orgeron one of the top 5 coaches in college football?

Right calls require two things....money and full control. He'd have had neither.

2. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Who gives a crap about anything other than our players would have played their asses off for him and punched the other teams in the mouth.
    Who knows what the results would be, but it would be a damn good start

3. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I’m sure Ole Miss’s players punched the other team in the mouth also. It got them 3 conference wins in 3 years. His USC team also gave up 35 to UCLA. There wasn’t a lot of punching going on in it by us.

4. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    It's an apples to oranges comparison. Yeah, he would have been more successful than Gomer but who wouldn't be? The bottom line is that at LSU, he is given the resources to do pretty much whatever he wants to do (both on and off the field). He would have never gotten that at USC. In fact, NO coach of any repute would get that at USC. The days of a HC running a completely autonomous program are long gone.

5. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Pete Carroll always said that his job was to coach and prepare his team to play and to let the administrators take care of "all that other stuff." Ed Orgeron has taken that part of Carroll's philosophy and added it to his own coaching philosophy. Like Carroll, Ed had an epiphany on how he wanted to coach his system for success. I've noted Ed's epiphany for years on this board and have been right about this. Meanwhile, the ODS sufferers have been wrong. When a person reaches that stage in their life they can take a bag of beans and make them into magic beans. No lack of resources or lack of administrative control or outside influences by any board of directors will stand in their way because they treat it as a challenge. They coach the damn team FIRST! So yeah, Ed Orgeron easily would have done at USC what he's doing at LSU - last I checked, the recruiting grounds are still very fertile around these parts. To sum, Ed coaches FIRST by applying his philosophy and everything else is just gravy on the steak. It won't be long before NFL teams come a knockin' on Ed's front door. There may be a Super Bowl Championship in his future too.

reaLchaZZZy likes this.
  6. ACETrojan

ACETrojan Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Funny. For a guy bitching that we are all wasting our time beating a dead horse you sure spent a long time answering the question. Lmfao

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Even funnier....I'm not a guy.

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I think he would have been successful but not as successful as he is at LSU. SC for sure wouln't pay $2.5M for a DC, so his staff would not be as good. So if O was here he would not be playing for a NC but would have been much more successful than the clowns that followed him (Sark, Helton).

9. VegasPlayer

VegasPlayer Junior Member

Jan 8, 2020
    IMHO, CEO would have killed it in the weak Pac 12 conference, he wouldn't have needed a DC making 2.5 M per year to dominate the conference.

The SEC teams have the best coaches, and the most money to spend to attract the best.

You're right that he would have been much more successful than Sark and Helton.

No one knows what really would have happened If CEO would have been named the head coach at USC. Everyone has a right to their opinion as to what would have happened.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  10. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Exactly what I have been thinking. Endlessly pining away as jilted lovers. Pathetic.

11. flyfishintrojan

Jan 9, 2020
    I absolutely knew to buy Netflix stock IPO after it jumped up 4000%.

12. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    I know for a fact, as in he told this to a personal friend of mine, that he knew within two days that he had made a gigantic mistake by taking that job. He had no players.No one can coach garbage. He had two years worth of recruiting, really not even two full years, and he brought some good players in and Houston Nutt, who I’ve never heard anyone describe as a good coach, took those same players to the Cotton Bowl and they got ranked as high as Number 4 the year after. Then after a lot of Ed’s players were gone he went 4-8 and got fired.
    Ed Orgeron is coaching in the National Championship Game and Houston Nutt is doing who the hell knows? TV commentary.

reaLchaZZZy likes this.
  13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    I don’t think anyone is pining for him. The question was asked, so people are weighing in.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    reaLchaZZZy and in2nation like this.
  14. flyfishintrojan

Jan 9, 2020
    You don’t , huh? Re-read the 94 threads on COACH O.

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Search "Orgeron" on this forum. Its been endless pining for awhile now.

16. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020

Want to know who Coach O is?

reaLchaZZZy likes this.
  17. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Jan 9, 2020
    I don't think it's pining for Coach O as much as a new argument against Pat Haden as Athletic Director and the damage his tenure caused to USC Football and a pretty decent one, too.

reaLchaZZZy and in2nation like this.
  18. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Would he have been successful at 'SC??

The way he left suggests a betrayal of some sort on the part of Pat Haden. That sort of thing is representative of everything that's wrong with USC at the moment, top to bottom, from athletic department all the way to the Board of Trustees. We've seen it over and over and over again: USC has an utter lack of character in its leadership.

So, no, he wouldn't have been successful at USC, because today's USC sucks. In part, then, the answer to the question is given by the fact that he isn't at USC being successful.

reaLchaZZZy likes this.