Consent is never a blanket statement

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by uscvball, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Consent is never a blanket statement
    uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    "As students returned to campus for the fall semester, the University of Southern California rolled out a program set on instilling the concept of “affirmative consent,” in hopes of making a “yes means yes” attitude the “standard in every sexual encounter at USC.”

Brenda Ingram, director of Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services at USC Student Health, launched the initiative called “Trojans Respect Consent,” in which all incoming freshmen, were required, beginning Monday, to undergo 90 minutes of training on her concept of “affirmative consent,” according to a school news release.

"Shift the legal narrative from ‘no means no’ to ‘yes means yes’” Tweet This

“Though not all affirmative consent laws require verbal affirmation, the overarching idea is to shift the legal narrative from ‘no means no’ to ‘yes means yes,’” Ingram says in the release.

The director emphasizes that it is “critical” to “check in with your partner or partners every step of the way and continually assess whether they are able to provide rational, genuine consent.”

“Though by no means a comprehensive answer to the problem of assault, creating clearer parameters to the definition of consent can help move the needle on the larger mission of eliminating sexual violence,” Ingram said about her plan to impress upon students that “consent is never a blanket statement.”

Ingram advocates for both affirmative consent laws and university policies in order to “ensure that every participant is providing authentic, uncoerced, ongoing, voluntary permission to proceed at every step in a given sexual encounter.”
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13697

Every step of the way? I can't wait for her to try and define what defines "a step". Good luck USC students....I hope your future sex life isn't stunted by such ridiculous "parameters".

2. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    [​IMG]

Of course, the only way to ensure that every participant is providing authentic, uncoerced, ongoing, voluntary permission to proceed at every step in a given sexual encounter, is to film same.

You can almost hear the talk:

"It's okay. Nobody will ever see the video, but we have to film it. University policy. Sorta' like the body cams that police officers have to wear...."

fssca51, TheRealAirbns, DJ4SC and 3 others like this.
  3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I wonder if Ms Ingram ever advanced to any of these "steps?" Got doubts

uscvball, 901 Club and ca4usc like this.
  4. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Geez. It's surprising they aren't offering a boilerplate consent contract to students, too.

"Okay, baby, I know we were talking about humping like crazed hedgehogs, tonight, but before we begin, I'll need you to go ahead and initial pages 1-52 of this contract, and indicate any exceptions in writing on page 73. Good... good... good... uh-huh... Okay, that's great. Now I'll just go ahead and start with my initials, too, while you get going on your copy...

"Well, that wasn't so bad. Only an hour and twelve minutes to get through the paperwork. Now, why don't we just slip downstairs to the notary so we can square this away and then we can make a stop to get the breathalyzers done. Would you like to hammer out the post-hook-up communication agreement now, or wait until we see how everything goes?"

Oh, and all you scholarship athletes? Don't even think about coming within 10 feet of any member of the opposite sex - students, staff, or faculty - for the next five years. It's just not worth the potential risk to your future athletic career.

Nothing like new staff positions in the post-Tyndall USC world, right?

Be sure and check out Ms. Ingraham's page. It's worth it.

My pronouns are zbigniew, billabong, and monkey-twaddle. Please be careful. It's easy to mix up the nominative and dative cases with those.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Troianus Acies and fssca51 like this.
  5. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Body cams needed....LOL

Troianus Acies likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Except that she was hired July, 2018, before the Tyndall situation was public knowledge. It's more a post Bryce Dixon/Osa Masina world

I knew I would regret it, lol.

Let's start with the obvious and I think scotty is right....
    upload_2019-9-13_19-7-23.png

"As director of Relationship and Violence Prevention and Services in USC Student Health, Ingram oversees immediate therapy services, advocacy, and community outreach related to gender and power-based harm (e.g., sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking)"

What? What is power-based harm? And does it makes sense to have community outreach to victims of stalking? Isn't that a form of stalking in and of itself?

So as a Director, her education consists of..."EdD from the University of Phoenix, MSW from Cal State Sacramento, and BA in psychology from UCLA." University of Phoenix? Lol. An MSW from Sac State is also online. Lol. We are down to a basic psych degree from westweird.

But wait! "Her research has focused on the impact of community violence on educational attainment for African American elementary students. She has developed her expertise in sexual trauma, sex trafficking in communities of color, racial trauma and historical/intergenerational trauma." Has Amazon offered a PC translator for sale yet? Her research is in a completely non-related area but apparently she has developed her own expertise!

She likes "playing her saxophone for self-care." Has she gotten consent from that poor saxophone?

"Her pronouns are she, her, hers". I mean.....really? This is actually on her official USC page. I'm embarrassed for what the school has become. Has anyone EVER, on their own bio page ever discussed their "pronoun"?

What we have is an activist lesbian who is instructing hetero undergrads how to have "appropriate sex". Students are REQUIRED to receive "training on her concept of “affirmative consent." How in the hell does she purport to force students to listen to HER concept of anything?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019

By the looks of it......there are no words except holy s#@*!

8. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    By the looks of her, the term “She’s a handsome woman” might be appropriate.

9. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I wish George Carlin were still alive. He’d be all over this shit.

10. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    The university has officially jumped the shark......

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  11. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    A few years ago I joked about developing an app where 2 consenting adults synched their phones on the app to prove they consented to sex. I seriously think the app will become a reality.

12. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    This whole thing scares me. If I were a USC student today, I would avoid having anything to do with this toxic mess. How in the world is a Math major going to wrap his /her mind around partial derivatives with Ingram's shit ringing in their ears?

Troianus Acies likes this.
  13. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    USC administrations new mantra SHOULD BE...

"AND HERES ANOTHER NICE MESS YOU HAVE GOTTEN ME INTO!"

P.S.
    Thanks to Laurel and Hardy.

fssca51 and DJ4SC like this.
  14. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019

And that is a great Segue to this....

fssca51 likes this.
  15. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    It, and "she" are as I suspected....

Yikes....gotta say it, I would not pay to send a kid to a school like this these days

Troianus Acies and TheRealAirbns like this.