concussion protocol?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by old scotty, Sep 24, 2019.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I noticed that too, it concerned me when I saw it. Also the way the back of his head hit.

I do just hope he is doing OK. The UW game is secondary to his health.

oajr01 likes this.
  2. Christian

Christian Active Member

Sep 24, 2019
    If teams are going to go man to man with little to no help over the top then our QBs should be throwing those jump balls. Pittman, Vaughns and ARSB will win those 1 on 1s more often than they lose. Very few college DBs are able to defend those downfield jump balls successfully without drawing a flag for PI. I’d take my chances every time.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  3. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    For a big away game, I'm fine with Fink, upperclassman, capable guy, lots of good weapons around him. Slovis obviously had some issues at BYU, first time in a hostile environment, and even if he's cleared to play, I would still start Fink.

Bigger issue is Hufunga. No one else on the Back 7 has come anywhere close to stepping up in the way he has. Hufunga and Drake are the only ones who have shown they're able to wrap up and perform solo tackles. Maybe Hufunga's absence will propel someone else to step up big time, but am hoping he is cleared to play, and his health is good.

4. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    On the flip-side UW's QB Eason is not exactly a mobile athlete like the first three QB's USC has seen so far. UW will have to protect Eason just as much as our guys will have to protect Fink. Eason has 13 rushing attempts for 19 yards through four games for the Huskies. That's not exactly Michael Vick or Marcus Mariota caliber numbers so there should be plenty of chances for our guys to get to Eason early and often which will hopefully throw off their timing.

Troy70 likes this.
  5. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    I don't recall many tight throws into tight windows, or many timing-routes. And we've still yet to see any throws to the TE's, which are a staple of so many passing attacks. Come to think, I don't recall seeing any passes to the RB's either (could be wrong).

Most of Fink's passes had high loft and were touch passes, and many were into double-coverage. This can work with the Pittmans/Vaughns, but the law of averages will eventually kick in and other teams will be reading his tendencies more.

6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    We've seen that approach before, and it usually only works 1 time through. Eventually other teams will pick up on the jump balls and drill their DB's to expect it (Safeties will take a deaper drop and come forward for the pick rather than trying to cover backward). There will be more "peeling-off" from the DB's to read Fink and drop their other guy to come over for a double-coverage (as was the case in the INT).

If Fink cannot make the tight throws and keep them honest (if Harrel doesn't change up the calls), defenses won't respect the underneath and will just plant safeties deep and play center-field.

Pitttman/Vaughns/ASB may win some of those, but all the opposing defense needs is to win 2 of those, as our offense isn't on the field long enough to recover from that, and our running game was non-existent.

Harrel will have to come out with a more diversified gameplan, and give Fink other options to keep from being predictable. Peterson knows what Fink "likes" to do.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Troy70 likes this.
  7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 25, 2019
    I didn’t see Fink throw into tight windows either. I don’t know if it was just because he didn’t need to or not. And I’m not sure what it is with the TE’s, but none of the QB’s have been throwing to them, except for the one 60 yarder to Krommenhoek a few games ago.

Fink was hitting the short and mid range game well, and had at least 3 nice long passes over the shoulder of his receiver where he showed nice touch and where only his man could get to it. That 44 yarder to Pittman on 3rd and 9 in the 4th Q that set up Stepp’s TD run was the big one for me.

He did throw quite a few jump balls into double coverage trusting his receiver to make a play, but then again so did Slovis. I agree, I’m not sure I like those all the time, but they’ve been working for both QB’s so far. If you have single coverage and a clear mismatch, i.e. Pittman vs just about any DB, I’m all for it.