Colorado got screwed

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by heyrev, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Colorado got screwed
    heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Does anyone else think this? It seems more arbitrary to me that the Pac-12 forced a North-South championship game instead of matching the two best records. Yes, these were the protocols agreed upon at season's start but it's also been a year of last-minute schedules and drastic change. I think the Buffs have a legitimate gripe.
    https://www.buffzone.com/2020/12/17/howell-pac-12-did-no-favors-for-cu-buffs-usc/

gubo&palanka likes this.

2. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I don't know. It's always been north versus south. Finding the next best north team seems like less of a departure from the rules and expectations than dropping in another south team.

Now, had Colorado not been blown out in their last game by a 1-2 team, I'd have more sympathy for the Buffs.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. CurtC

CurtC Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I think the system worked fine, considering the environment this year. I do kinda feel sorry for UW though, but not much that could be done.

4. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Dec 18, 2020
    How about Buff Husky game in January if the RB semis moves somewhere else...

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Why? How many times since the advent of the pac 12 championship did Oregon, washington or stanford have a better record or season as 2nd place team in the north, than the south champ? It happens.

gubo&palanka and J4SC75 like this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    No. Nothing more arbitrary than picking "the next best record" simply because the N/S matchup doesn't look great. Besides, Colorado looks like USC. Unimpressive wins over average to bad teams.

And if that's the criteria, then A&M should be facing Alabama in the SECCCG instead of Florida. Florida has played one more game but A&M only has one loss....to Bama...and A&M beat Florida straight up.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Agree, the Huskies are the one's that got cheated out of playing for the Conference Championship. I get the protocols and all, but just imagine how those players are feeling.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I think CO should have had to play OR, then the winner play SC. In an ideal world...that would have been more fair.

But alas, not an ideal season and we ran outta time. I think USC v UO is flashier, more exciting and will sell more ads.

Beating CO would not have felt great, but beating UO always feel great...we gotta win though.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    USC plays 3 games in 2 weeks and then Scott suggests Colorado could have scheduled another team this weekend -- meaning they would have prepared for 3 different teams.

What a conference!

10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Based on the eye test...I wouldn't say A&M is any better than Colorado. They lost by 4 TDs to Bama and beat 0-9 Vandy 17-12. Talk about being unimpressive. They have beaten two teams at or above .500 - Auburn at 6-4 and Florida. We just saw how Florida is able to even lose to teams under .500 so I'm not impressed by the 3 point win. A&M is a beneficiary of the PAC12 and Big10 not playing games until halfway into the season. They were able to move up the polls just because there weren't very many teams even eligible to be in the top 25. They've stayed there because they haven't even been playing. The #5 ranking for A&M is by far the biggest farce in the entire committee process. They talk about the "eye test" yet ignore those same elements in an SEC team. We have gone back to the BCS era.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Utah beat them solidly, no question. While factually correct "at the time," it is perhaps a bit misleading to refer to Utah as a 1-2 team without a disclaimer.

What we do know for sure is that Oregon lost to Oregon State and Cal in their last two games played.

And we also know that 2020 was a year to make exceptions to the "rules."
    https://bigten.org/news/2020/12/9/ohio-state-will-advance-to-big-ten-football-championship-game.aspx

It will be more satisfying to beat Oregon though frankly. Or infinitely more frustrating if we do lose those sons of motherless goats.

zitorocks likes this.
  12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Oh let's talk about #7 Florida as well. They have two wins against teams over .500. They beat UGA pre-JT Daniels. They'd get crushed today. They beat 6-4 Mizzou. That's it. They lost to A&M and LSU. How does that get you to #7? Their last 5 opponents are 14-33 on the season.