College Football Playoff Epic Failure

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Conquest4ever1981, Jan 3, 2016.

1. College Football Playoff Epic Failure

2. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Totally agree, playoff games on new years eve? What a stupid idea, before alabama was at half time we all stopped watching, some of us HARD CORE sports fans, in order to party up new years eve with our friends and families. I'm sure the east coast was far worse. Being hung over and lazy on new years day....way better for loafing around watching football. Lol!

3. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    The New Year's Eve deal was stupid. These games should have been on Saturday.

4. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Extremely stupid to have on New Year's Eve.

5. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    You get it this upcoming one as well.

Semi (Peach & Fiesta) on 12/31, and there's no where to move 'em even if you want.

Rose Bowl will be 1/2/17

6. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Didn't see either semifinal. I was out working. Now, if SC's game was on New Years Eve, i would've adjusted my schedule.

7. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Sweetie? Are you gonna be watchin' football on New Year's Eve or watchin' me leave?

Coming dear! *click* goes the TV

8. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Poor decision. You have to honor New Years with the major bowl games, psuedo playoff notwithstanding.

9. denali

denali Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I don't get why the writer thinks the Rose Bowl should move its game. It's always been at 2 PM PDT on New Year's Day, following the parade. We're supposed to move the parade just to accommodate the other bowls (exc, when New Year's is on a Sunday)? The Rose is at least trying to preserve a modicum of tradition.

10. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Too many bowl games....

11. Conquest4ever1981

Conquest4ever1981 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Just curious if sponsors this past go around were locked into a rate regardless of the air date and time. Surely potential sponsors had to know a NYE airing would negatively affect ratings.

12. RCR4USC

RCR4USC Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Hey Conquest. I am friends with a sponsor and was with ESPN folks at the Rose Bowl. Sponsors paid for the viewership delivered. Thus, sponsors not hurt. Just ESPN with the lower ratings as they did not receive the money they thought they would get.

13. KeepCalm&FightOn

KeepCalm&FightOn Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I know I am in the minority -- and for good reason -- but I actually liked it. I stay in on New Years Eve's and go to the Mummer's parade the next day, all day. The games gave me something to do the night before. This way, I only missed the Rose.

14. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Here's an idea: Make the effing pseudo-playoff games available to college football fans for free!

15. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I saw that stupid Jimmy Kimmel add on TV for months -- the one where he walks into a black-tie New Years Eve party and they are singing some version of Auld Lang Syne. I watched that stupid commercial, like 100 times or more, but never understood what it was about. Perhaps I'm stupid, but you couldn't hear what they were saying, and it didn't make sense. It ends with a mascot for some team putting his arm around a cute girl and her giving him the, "Yeah baby" eyes . . .

What the hell is that commercial for? They play it 5 times an hour. Whatever. After 5 times, if it doesn't make sense, you just tune it out.

So then, when they put the playoff games on New Years Eve, I was like, "Huh? That's stupid. I just assumed they would be on New Years day." Who watches football on New Years Eve?

Well didn't you see the stupid Jimmy Kimmel commercial? Yes --- 100 times, but I never knew what the hell it was about. I thought it had something to do with mascots hooking up with cheerleaders at parties.

So . . . .

A) If you are going to put the game on New Years Eve, then state that plain and clear: no black tie, no strange beastiality theme with furries and cheerleaders, and not singing inaudible lyrics. How about a GIANT FONT that states plain and simple, THE PLAYOFF GAMES WILL BE PLAYED ON DEC 31 AT SUCH-AND-SUCH TIME.

B) It was a failure. Don't do it again. Yet the tools at the NCAA are defensive and arguing that it wasn't a total failure. Idiots. They are so arrogant that they'll probably double down and do it again next year.

High school football should play on Friday nights.
    College football should play on Saturday.
    Pro football should play on Sunday, with ONE game on Monday night.

No more stupid Thursday night games.
    No more stupid New Years Eve games.

Any questions?

16. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
  17. Helen of Troy

Helen of Troy Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Win! So funny!!!!

18. Conquest4ever1981

Jan 6, 2016
    Based on the awful ratings there may be no more playoff games on NYE but sadly I believe the Thursday night games are here to stay.

19. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    No Kidding! When did the All-ESPN crap start? Used to be I could sink into my couch on NYD and watch the RB on channel 7... now I gotta pay for cable? That's not happening.

20. Conquest4ever1981

Jan 7, 2016
    Sadly, the genie is out of the bottle and his toothpaste is out of the tube. I miss the days when the Rose Bowl was on NBC.

21. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I liked the NYE format. The second game was over and we had plenty of time to go party. ESPN tried to get a switch to Saturday for this season and that would have been fine too with the limited NFL conflict. You also have to love this quote regarding the requested Fri-to-Sat switch:

“It was really about sticking to what we had announced,” said Larry Scott, the Pacific-12 Conference commissioner.

For once that tool did something that worked (for me).

I can see why people on the other coast or people who think the main reason for football games is to get hammered might not like it but it worked out great here.

I don't really give a cr*p about ratings.

As to the horrible games, that's going to happen some years.

As to an eight game playoff - I think that would be ok (I think four is better) but 16 would be ridiculous. The last thing college football needs is some middle of the poll school crying about missing a playoff.

Look at what over-expanded playoffs have done to the NBA and NHL........no thanks.