Coaching Candidates You Aren’t Interested In

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 1stNGoalSC, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    If it makes you feel better, his actual record at ISU is 25-23, and as I said above it's 22-14 after his first year taking over after a 3 year span where ISU went 8-28. He also went 36-15 at Toledo.

LDIABootney likes this.
  2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Yeah I adjusted it after I realized it was wrong just when you quoted me.

He's also developed Brock Purdy into a decent, if not great QB. Purdy has 22 TDs with 8 INTs.

I'd imagine Campbell can develop Slovis into the next level too.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  3. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    YEP...

...I've been thinking of McVay along those lines also. I also like Tom Campbell and there's no evidence he'd use USC to improve his current contract.

Seaking77 likes this.
  4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Maybe not. But Florida St was willing to pay $17 mil just to get rid of Taggert, and then they’ll be paying a new HC, which may include that coach’s buyout if he’s currently working.

Reports are that prominent USC boosters are ready to make Meyer the highest paid HC in college football. One year of that salary would nearly cover Fleck or Rhule’s buyout, then the annual salary would be lower.

The problem is that we wouldn’t be getting Meyer with that money. But we know they could pony up the money it if they were motivated enough to do it.

LDIABootney and CP619 like this.
  5. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Totally with you on this post. I think you go for Urban #1, the question is does he want to coach, and where. His successor at Ohio State is doing pretty well so he's not going back there. ND is set, for the moment, with Kelly, so that's another dream school not open. I am more of a James Franklin fan than most, for most of this year Penn State has been at the top statistically of offense, defense, and special teams play - all three. After their sanctions they have come back - the game this weekend will say a lot. I think if Penn State wins, it will be hard to get him to leave, but if they lose there's a chance. I like Campbell - watched the Iowa State-Texas game this weekend. Iowa State was a disciplined, well-coached team with average talent; imagine what he could do with SC's talent. I like Rhule a lot - his teams have played great defense. Fleck also an incredible motivator. All of these guys know how to assemble a great coaching staff, how to organize and motivate their teams, and they all instill discipline in their players - what we have missed with Clay.

The question is where do you go beyond these names, because they all could be long shots. On the lower tier, I like Mike Norvell, who is the head coach of Memphis. He has improved on the team Justin Fuente left him, assembled a great staff. He is only 37 but has some experience. Maybe Bryan Harsin at Boise State - also a good job there, but some Boise State coaches crash the big time and others do not. Does SC try and get Jeff Tedford as a last resort?

I think only Urban can make a difference in our current recruiting class. High school football players will wait and see for anybody else. The transfer portal, however, might be active and in our favor this year??

TrojanFireHorse12 and jjg4sc like this.
  6. DaFireMedic

Nov 19, 2019
    That wasn’t really the point. The point is that Meyer and Herman were pursued by other schools, yet didn’t use that only as leverage for a raise to stay at their schools, and accepted offers when they felt they had the right one.

There are many reasons to come to USC beyond salary, many of which were pointed out by Arhedge. A top quality HC has a legitimate chance to win an NC at USC, far better than at Minnesota or Baylor.

I have no idea if those other reasons are important to Fleck and Rhule or not. Whittingham is not leaving Utah. He is staying there despite many opportunities at bigger football schools. I can respect that.

But I’d certainly be inquiring with Fleck and Rhule should Meyer not be interested, and on down the list, including Luke Fickell.

CP619 and J4SC75 like this.
  7. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    USC ONCE HIRED A COACH FROM A "RIVAL" SCHOOL

He was the late Larry Smith, from Arizona. The argument was the same: see what he's doing with lesser talent at a smaller school. Unfortunately, Smith came here and continued to think he was still at a small school and couldn't see himself fighting for a national championship. His ultimate was to win a few games and, once in a while, make it to the Rose Bowl. I think it's the wrong strategy to try to weaken Utah or any other school in the west as they are mere bumps on the road to compete against the likes of Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson, Georgia et al. Helton earlier said his goal was to be like Stanford. Notwithstanding that fact that he later amended this, could it be that instinctively he's never been able to see himself winning the big ones, influencing everything about his tenure?

8. DaFireMedic

Nov 19, 2019
    It may not be that easy, but that’s where it should start. Make that phone call.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  9. August West

August West Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    JDR
    Kris Richard
    Hue Jackson
    James Franklin
    Matt Campbell
    John Harbaugh
    Pete Carroll

10. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    I agree with you that hiring another former USC player as either a head football coach or AD is a big mistake. When selecting a head coach for a traditional college football powerhouse program the University as the decision maker has to look at the record of the individual and his qualification and not because he is a former USC player. As for Sean McVay, I see him as the SC head football coach sometime in future but not now. He is doing well with LA Rams and he won't leave now. SC football needs competitive, intense, smart, championship-caliber type coach like PC, McVay, and Coach O. But unfortunately this type does not appear very often. Franklin and Stoops would not fit the SC culture and our expectations.

11. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Hue Jackson!? Have you lost your mind? Put aside the NFL record -- as hard as that is to put aside -- and just think back to his days as O coordinator under Hack. If they hire Hue Jackson, I'm outta here.

12. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Arhedge already got the Hue Jackson part covered but why John Harbaugh?

As much as I would want him, John makes $7 million. He would need 10-11 million at SC to come here. A better chance of getting Urban at 9 million.

13. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Marvin Lewis, anyone?

A decade of college coaching experience.
    Super Bowl ring as an assistant coach.
    6 seasons with 10+ wins as HC in the NFL

14. August West

Nov 19, 2019
    I don’t think he’s made for the college game.
    You do realize the guys I listed are guys I absolutely DONT want, right?

15. August West

Nov 19, 2019
    What’s the title of the thread?