Coach O - I still admit it

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Globe, Jan 14, 2020 at 1:46 PM.

1. Coach O - I still admit it
    Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    I didn't think we should've given him the permanent job. I couldn't get past the Old Miss failure and getting rolled by UCLA that year.

In my defense I didn't know the alternative was a drunk idiot who brought Washington up to mediocrity.

AMLTrojan, VELOSH82 and Ojaitrojan like this.

2. usc_ee

usc_ee Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    I thought we should have kept him. The player rallied under his leadership. Hayden was an idiot as an AD for this and they way he botched handling the sanctions.

3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    "I didn't think we should've given him the permanent job. I couldn't get past the Old Miss failure and getting rolled by UCLA that year"

BTW: That UCLA roster was probably their best team during the Jim Mora era. That's the Brett Huntley, Miles Jack era. (Noel Mazzone, Lou Spanos, Angus McClure days). Not to mention they had two elite recruiters Adrian Klemm (Pittsburgh Steelers OL) and Demetrius Martin (Arizona DB coach) they were killin it in recruiting. That roster was loaded. That was a 10 win team on a bad day. UCLA in 2013 10-3 (#16) and 2014 10-3 (#10) they Won both bowl games those years against K State and Virginia Tech. This current Helton lead USC team would get distroyed by that team.

What more do you want?

a. He went 6-2 with someone else's system and roster. (There is not much you can change mid season)

b. He's an ACE recruiter:
    When I say ACE I mean if you wanted to hire someone with his ability to recruit. They probably would not be available. Or you couldn't afford them.

c. Players and fans loved him. Dudes were saying they would run through a brick wall for him.

This was a no brainer hire for me.

1. Recruiting
    2. Fans / Alumi support
    3. Players coach
    4. Knows how to build a NC roster. Pete Carroll is an ACE recruiter too but Coach O landed a ton of those guy on his own.

He has everything you need to build a winner.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 6:03 AM
    reaLchaZZZy, Butcher22, Jose and 7 others like this.
  4. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    In those immortal words spoken by Jackie Gleason:
    "How Sweet It Is"
    Complete and Utter Redemption for Coach O

[​IMG]

5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    Many of us who are crowing ‘see! We were right about Coach O!’ Are making the assumption that he would have had the Same success if had been at SC. I would like to remind everyone that Coach O was headed for the hot seat until Brady came on as a coach and changed that offense. We will see if Coach O is a one hit wonder or the real deal next year when Brady isn’t there and he doesn’t have a Heisman winning qb.
    Don’t get me wrong, I will always love Coach O, but I think we might be making him into a saint here.... if ya know what I mean

6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    Glad Pat got us Sark then Clay, lol. SC is so screwed

7. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    All true, but remember, the point of comparison is the Clay Sarkiffin trio. In short, compared to them, taking our chances on CEO was a no-brainer.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    In hindsight, absolutely.

9. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    All true statements. But remember, it came out I believe that Pat had asked Pete His opinion...... and Pete unequivocally said he would choose Sark. Pete loved both Orgeron and Sark, but he would have chosen Sark as his heir apparent. Pete was wrong too!
    I wanted Coach O. Just sayin

10. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    No, I mean even back then it was obvious. At the time, I thought we would be getting Petersen or Chip or some other clear upgrade. Others argued for Brian Kelly, Urban, or Saban (I didn't see any of them as realistic). Any of them would've been an A+ hire. I saw CEO as a solid B. Sark was a C and giving Clay the permanent job before the Pac-12 championship was a solid D.

11. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    Agree - Orgeron was an excellent recruiter and 6-2 as interim coach. You can argue that the losses to the Ruins and Domers justified not retaining him but he was an interim coach. He recruited and coached many of those kids, but there was only so much any interim coach can do. Given that he did what he did but that his pedigree was stronger than Sarkisian's, and certainly stronger than Helton's.

The ship has sailed on Coach O and USC - but to pretend USC and AD Haden didn't make an absolutely huge mistake in not retaining Coach O and to suggest he wouldn't have been any more successful the past four years than Coach Helton has been is simply ridiculous.

pb4sc likes this.
  12. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    Agree and admit, I loved him and hated to see him go but he just wasn’t the guy for the job at the time. He still seems like not a great head coach but more of a figurehead with great assistants - but he can recruit like a mad man. Their offense reminded me of what we could be with an oline and a legit running game - the mismatches with a great qb and receivers?....we have that - but not quite the qb running or that oline and running threat. I really wanna believe with the right staff - we could be that even with Helton being more of a figurehead. The kids love that guy, but recruiting is lacking and the assistants just aren’t there. Bottom line, IMO we made the right decision at the time to not hire O. I think we wouldn’t have had the commitment as a university to hire those same assistants and would have fired him in two or three years.

13. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:35 AM
    My feelings about Coach O at the time he was our interim coach was thus:

1. He failed miserably when he had his own ship to captain in Ole Miss

2. He failed to beat UCLA. Yes, that UCLA team was very good, but you can't lose to Juicy when you're trying to earn the job.

3. Basically, I felt like Orgeron was one of those guys who was an excellent coordinator, but a poor head coach. There are many who fit that description. Norm Chow was another who excelled at being an offensive coordinator, but was a dismal failure as a head coach.

OnewaySC, Globe and jjg4sc like this.
  14. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    I also believe this to be true. Pete's word was gospel back in those days and he really screwed us on this one.

I wasn't sure if I wanted coach O to take over, but I was DAMN SURE I didn't want to take that loser Sark off of Washington's hands giving them the opportunity to upgrade while saddling ourselves with a perennial 8-5 coach.

15. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    I knew this week I should have bought Coty stock back on January 2, 2019 cause it has risen 99% since then.

uscvball likes this.
  16. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    Then he took all those amazing qualities to Ole Miss and went 10-25.

August West likes this.
  17. August West

August West Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    Exactly

BOT was never approving the hire. This revisionist BS is just that.

Ed is EXACTLY where he needs to be.

18. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 16, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    Rumor is he and players were told prior to the game that he wasn’t getting the HC job and the players wanted to sit out the game in protest before they were threatened to have their scholarships revoked... thus they layer an egg vs ucla

that’s the RUMOR

not sure I buy it

reaLchaZZZy likes this.
  19. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    This comment doesn't make sense. CEO's Ole Miss tenure came before his interim USC HC tenure, not after.

20. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    Not hiring Orgeron was understandable (and I'm not sure he would have done great here because our administration probably wouldn't give him the support LSU has that has enabled his success). Hiring Sarkisian and then two years later promoting Helton from interim to full-time HC instead is the unforgiveable part.

AMLTrojan likes this.