Clancy Pendergast Not Returning?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by FTFO33, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Clancy Pendergast Not Returning?
    FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    FWIW, I was watching NFL Insiders and Adam Schefter said that Pendergast will not be returning to USC and is looking into NFL jobs. If there's one person I believe in this world of hit and miss rumors, it's Schefter.

2. djh36

djh36 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    saw that per Adam Schefter's tweet as well.

3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I'd like him to be wrong on this one.

Wonder what he says about Baxter and Robinson. If he says they are going, I'd like him to be wrong on them too.

zitorocks likes this.
  4. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    If he were staying, I'd see no reason for that not to have been announced by now.

5. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Wilcox has a $1 million buyout for any Pac-12 school and apparently USC hasn't been very willing to pay that fee

6. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Dec 26, 2013
    At this point, there seems no rhyme or reason to what's going on with Clancy. It would seem if Sark wanted him he'd be named, but looks like it's not going to happen. Wilcox? Whomever it is won't have much impact on recruiting if he isn't named soon.

7. FightOnSC21

FightOnSC21 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I really wanted Clancy to stay. This might end up having a big impact on next season, even if Wilcox comes to USC. We saw great improvement this year under Clancy, and have most of those guys returning. Would be a nasty D in the second year of the system, and those guys bought into Clancy (Josh Shaw saying CP was "second to none" and just saw Scott Star tweet "Hope Pendergast comes back").

8. gross1767

gross1767 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    That's to bad he did a great job here transforming this defense into a really great one over night.

9. O Face

O Face Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I can't remember the source but I heard that Sark and Haden had to wait until after UW bowl game (tomorrow) or 1/1/14 to NOT be affected by the $1M buyout. That's why they haven't hired Wilcox.

I personally liked Clancy P. as well (so did Shaw who can bolt for NFL). The only plus to getting Wilcox is he would be familiar with the new SC Staff (since we're 80% of UW's old staff now). However, Wilcox would view this position as a stepping stone to being HC sometime soon and would be gone within 2 years anyways. Should've kept CP!

10. bearsecutor

bearsecutor Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    good points all, but clancy doesn't recruit...sark has an approach that is thought out whether we embrace it or not- it conspicuously acknowledges that 50% of success in D-1 is recruiting and that ALL asst coaches need to not only recruit but be strong recruiters , and that everyone has to pull their weight..sark is no fool he saw what our D did against FSU (but they had a slow footed QB and weak OL)...the asst coach who arguably sark should retain is TeeRob, and Im sure hes seen the great job thats been down their as well. But like any new hire going into a com high pressure situation from the outside, you need an XO who will have your back at all times, hence hansen..there is still hope hansen could slide into another spot ad they retain teerob

11. Sams Corner

Sams Corner Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Can someone present the upside of dumping Pendergast in favor of Wilcox? I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I'm missing something.

12. ieforusc

ieforusc Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I believe it. he'll be a hot commodity in the NFL this offseason.

13. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Would've liked to see him stay, also.....the D really came around and some continuity / familiarity would've been the best idea, IMO.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 26, 2013
    More to the dark periods than you may think. It does not slow down recruiters at all. During the dark our recruiters are all over the country talking to HS football coaches and as long as they don't contact the recrui,t all is well. You would be surprised how much the HS coaches will open up with a laptop full of film, some beers, and onion rings.

15. huntingtonharvey

huntingtonharvey Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I don't think CCP is a sure-fire bet to stay at USC anyways with his NFL success already. Wilcox's defense also features multiple fronts and is an attacking style of defense utilizing hybrid defenders. Like CCP he allows his defense to fit his players and is not dogmatic to his scheme like M. Kiffin. I would like to keep CCP for continuity and "if it 'aint broke" common sense but I don't think Wilcox will be a huge departure.

16. WestLATrojan

WestLATrojan Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I have heard that Clancy doesnt recruit

17. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I heard it too. I think he might have stayed had he been made an offer ala TH

18. bkemdano

bkemdano Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Concern about Wilcox leaving for an HC job is understandable....so hoping if he is hired, we put a buyout into his contract that allows us to recoup some dough to spend on his replacement... A buddy of mine said tonight Coach O is coming back on an agreement that was settled 2 days ago....take it for what it is worth since I am a 1st time poster (long time reader and a '75 grad) but if both sides admit there were mistakes made on both sides, I think this could be very good for our football team!!! Fight On!!!

19. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Dec 26, 2013
    If true, this is not a complete surprise as the rumor from the day Sark was hired was that he wanted to bring Wilcox, Sirmon, Heyward and Lupoi. Well, Sirmon and Heyward are already at SC while Lupoi appears to have other issues. As much as Clancy had solid credentials to bring to the table, Sark has never really given any indication that he was looking in a direction other than Wilcox.

20. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Guess the dead period helps with our Coach Qs

21. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Do not like Wilcox.

Color me extremely unimpressed and very disappointed if this is the direction Sark insists on going.

22. USC in SC

USC in SC Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Wilcox is going to be the man. CP will probably be a DC in the NFL next year (Dallas). I am also guessing that Joe Salave'a will be brought in to work with our DL.

23. Rex N Effex

Rex N Effex Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Wasn't Wilcox at Boise State when they basically shut down Oregon? Boise had a very good defense when he was there at Boise from what I recall. I think his defense at Tennessee was good also. I really liked Clancy's attacking style this year, but against every team that chose to spread us out and make us go sideline to sideline, ASU, Arizona, UCLA we did not look good. A lot of that was not substituting enough from what I saw, guys bent over gasping for air barely able to get into their stances before we were being gashed again. When we played teams with non mobile QB's our defense was money.

24. USC in SC

USC in SC Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Wilcox is no slouch. He took a Washington team that was horrible and turned them around. We have liars more talent to work with compared to Washington. He did a great job a Boise and Tenn as well.

25. USC in SC

USC in SC Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Hearing Baxter gone as well. This is probably because Pendergast coached the Secondary. We will have no secondary coach, and Sark, no doubt is looking.

26. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    I think Keith Heyward is here to be the secondary coach from UW staff.

27. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 27, 2013
    I hope that Pat Haden did not wasted the perfect opportunity to turn around USC football. I am really doubting his ability.

My opinion is Peterson would have been the right choice. Especially for the long run.

Sark is too much like Kiffin for my taste. And you saw what happened.

I hope he doesn't make the same mistakes.