CIF delays high school sports season until December

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 20, 2020.

2. SpincycleUSC

SpincycleUSC Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Uncertainty likely benefits the local school - so on balance, this probably helps USC for the tail-end of the 2021 class and with a jump on 2022. Hard to imagine recruits and families getting comfortable committing to places they may not have been able to visit yet.

3. Trojanmack909

Trojanmack909 Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Man this sucks for those hidden gem seniors who haven’t been recruited hard and needed that senior year tape to get a shot.

This virus should’ve been suppressed and under control by now, but our government did such a botch job in handling this thing it looks like it’ll be a while before we return back to “normal”.

4. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    The government? You don’t think it’s on the people who didn’t social distance, wear masks & self isolate? It’s not government, it’s on unsafe, arrogant individuals....

TrojanSigma and Area51Trojan like this.
  5. oc trojan

oc trojan Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    any idea on when baseball season would be for high school? take the political crap to another thread

dp4life likes this.
  6. LoyalTrojan

Jul 20, 2020
    Who do you think is passing it onto people in nursing homes? The government?

Wolfpack4SC likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Looks like baseball playoffs will be 2 weeks at the end of June which means it will be contested in the spring. This article has all the information. Important to note that there are 10 sections in CIF and each one will announce their specific dates of participation.

https://scorebooklive.com/california/breaking-cif-postpones-fall-sports-moves-california-high-school-sports-season-to-december-2020/

One of the questions I have is since several sports will have playoffs and championships at the end of June and most schools are already dismissed, will seniors be allowed to participate?

And frankly, how many student athletes overall want to be competing and playing that late into the semester when they have final exams, senior activities, and for juniors, AP exams.

Rodgarnay51 and oc trojan like this.
  8. LoyalTrojan

Jul 20, 2020
    I agree with that. The world shouldn’t stop. However, keeping your distance and wearing a mask to help prevent any droplets being transferred to another person or prevent breathing in a droplet is just plain wise....

9. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Active Member

Jul 20, 2020
    "The government? You don’t think it’s on the people who didn’t social distance, wear masks & self isolate? It’s not government, it’s on unsafe, arrogant individuals...."

Our collective incredulous stupidity, reigns supreme dear friends. I've confronted dozens upon dozens of people with "please wear a mask, it serves no purpose just sitting on your neck" most respond by putting it on, others see it as an attack.
    Four different times I've approached POLICE MEN about not wearing masks nor bothering to space as they were shooting the breeze; their collective response was to insult my intelligence. What if you take Corona to your elderly parents? I said to the most defensive ones. How can you honestly force us commoners to respect this law when you are laughing at it.
    The groups I confronted consisted of 7, 6, 2, and 8, one of the violators demanded to see my license, I stood my ground and told him TRUTH was my license. They came to their senses and let me go about my business.

So yes! we are our own worst enemies, specially in my community(south central LA), IT'S BAD!

Yup All Right and Awsi Dooger like this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Twice you said you confronted people. One shouldn't then be surprised that some considered it an attack.

I assume you also go to bars and ask people for their keys if they appear to be drunk and look like they might drive home?

Or maybe you should consider confronting single men about not wearing condoms when they have sex. Doesn't do much good if it stays in a pocket.

Frankly I don't respond well when "confronted" by any stranger.

DADMoyock and Jay4usc like this.
  11. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Does this help SC recruiting?

12. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    CIF is cow towing to Newsom ideology. I am a HS CIFBB Umpire and the spring season was shut down fast......... flat out cancelled! After all the families paid there fees etc. with no refunds or forward application to 2021 season.

Big Bummer for all HS Football seniors to showcase this fall what they can do. CIF is 100% following the politics of Dems.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 20, 2020
    No. But it doesn’t significantly hurt it either. SC already has 18 commits and a good idea of who it would like to add to complete the class. The group of people this absolutely hurts are those guys right on the border of getting offers, where college coaches were going to make a decision on an offer after the first few games or half a season.

USC is probably okay not offering any of those guys, but in a perfect world, you absolutely want those guys. Just because a guy is good enough as a sophomore to get an offer doesn’t guarantee he’ll be a better college player than the guy good enough to get an offer as a senior. You want as much information as possible as a coach going through the recruiting process and USC’s staff won’t be able to do that now.

Troy70 and LDIABootney like this.
  14. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Jul 20, 2020
    That's exactly it. One side of the aisle has become engrossed in incomparable ignorance and stupidity. It is the side of the aisle most represented on football sites like this. The stupidity is allowed to thrive because there is never any threat of a result. This time there was guaranteed to be a result, and therefore the stupid side was exposed, in the same direction it would always be exposed, upon series of results.

This should not have been complicated at all. There is value in the extremes. When it hasn't happened in a full century that is the utter definition of an extreme. Therefore every projection is going to be too low, and so forth. It is the classic example of big picture focus totally destroying obsession with details. Notice the stupid side was desperately scrambling for one deflective detail after another.

The stupidity is a revolving door. Now that certain aspects are shutting down again the people who caused it are the ones whining about it.

15. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Active Member

Jul 21, 2020
    "The stupidity is a revolving door. Now that certain aspects are shutting down again the people who caused it are the ones whining about it."
    Thank you for sharing your strong understanding of humanity with us. Perhaps just maybe the end result from this virus will be better unity/understanding among all of us. PERHAPS!

16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jul 21, 2020
    So, you are ok with nearly 13 million deaths in the US? (Multiplies the current death rate of 3.6% in US by 359mil people). As long as it’s not you, I guess

17. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Where's your source for the 3.6% death rate? Most sources have it at something less than the flu, perhaps 0.25%.

Given that 50% of deaths are in senior homes, most of the rest are in the Northeast...and I believe there are only 2.1M total in senior homes currently, so you'll have a hard time getting to 13M. Statistics wasn't your major, was it?

We also know that folks under the age of, say, 50, have almost no chance of dying from this. Was that included in your modeling?

18. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 21, 2020
    "Researchers, initially analyzing data from outbreaks on cruise ships and more recently from surveys of thousands of people in virus hot spots, have now conducted dozens of studies to calculate the infection fatality rate of Covid-19.

That research—examining deaths out of the total number of infections, which includes unreported cases—suggests that Covid-19 kills from around 0.3% to 1.5% of people infected. Most studies put the rate between 0.5% and 1.0%, meaning that for every 1,000 people who get infected, from five to 10 would die on average."

Oh, and the US population as of last December was just a bit over 330M. At some point, over several years, the cumulative total of deaths could end up there but it's not happening this year and it's not happening in 2 years. A vaccine and basic immunity, plus continued focus on basic sanitary procedures will make that number an impossibility.

19. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 21, 2020
    My guess is that it's even lower, given that the vast majority of cases are not reported and don't show serious symptoms.

It's also a lot harder to get tested without having symptoms, so the reported mortality numbers are clearly overstated. Dem governors have killed off the low-hanging fruit in senior homes, so recent cases skew younger--and less deadly.

20. Trojanlegacy

Trojanlegacy New Member

Jul 23, 2020
    Anybody worried about players transferring out of state and being recruited elsewhere. Like Garcia to Miami hype from a few weeks back?