Chris Steele ruled NCAA eligible for this season

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Aug 6, 2019.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 7, 2019
    You are correct. Apparently, Phillips was eligible because he did not play 4 games last season, meaning he could count it as his redshirt. That was before Martell's case, where the NCAA got criticized for creating "free agency". Fair or not, I don't think they will approve Bru's waiver.

The NCAA may have "clarified" their criteria, but they are still pretty darn muddy, and there doesn't seem to be any source to go to for clear criteria on what qualifies for a waiver.

KANDI11 likes this.
  2. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Bru's situation is different than Steele's, Philip's, Martell's or anyone else for that matter. Bru entered the portal twice in the SAME YEAR, within, like 3 or 4 months of each other.

Come on guys, it is not hard to understand... this causes a unique situation, but I would be shocked if they approve him based on that alone. Nothing to do with screwing us because we're SC. These other guys people are throwing around had "reasons", even as weak as some may appear... Bru has nothing. He can claim he committed to SC first all he wants, seriously doubt that will work and quite honestly it shouldn't. He made a mistake and will have to sit.

3. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Since there never has been any clear cut policy on eligibility then how did he make a mistake? Tell me how Martell qualified? Or for the fact that Fields was allowed to be eligible because he felt threatened at Georgia . The culprit was kicked out of school and his sister still attends there. What a bunch of crap. The NZAA has shown that they will do whatever they want and they don’t have to justify their decision. So no it’s not easy to understand why one kid is eligible and another isn’t when there is no consistency.

4. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2019
    The NC2A is a rare beast, no doubt. I'm simply pointing out, once again, he entered the portal TWICE within 3 or 4 months. I'm not debating why one guy maybe eligible and one is not. That is a case by case discussion. However, Bru entering the portal twice... we got that right... that is a unique and I believe will be disqualifying in itself. His mistake is he should have stayed at SC in the first place.

His only hope, in my opinion, of being eligible is that he committed here first and has never suited up for TX during a season. All these other names being thrown out fall into completely different categories to me. They had all been with a team for a previous year. Steele is the one that wasn't, but he has a clear situation that caused him issues... Bru's situation doesn't seem that way at all. Even then, Steele committed to FL, then came to SC... one entry to the portal. Bru = 2 times.

5. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2019
    No doubt different but then I would need to see it in writing where that disqualifies him from being eligible immediately.
    Like I said, the NZAA is continuing to make up sh#t as they go because they never thought this through.
    It would make things more fair if they just let all transfer players eligible until they get their act together.

6. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Aug 7, 2019
    They're getting a group of defensive backs with some elite talents. Can they figure out how to piece them together and maximize them is the key. I don't trust this staff much to do it yet but hopeful it falls into place this year.

There is serious talent on this defense. Like conference title and playoff good talent. Depth? Fitting the pieces together?

Steele has a shot at being key piece. I hope he's so good that he's a starter day 1 but that's so much to ask for. I just don't like the game development of anyone not a starter with this defensive staff the last few years

7. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Whatever helps us beat fucla this year, is good news!

8. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Aug 12, 2019

What about the HC?...