Can our administration just announce that they are going to keep Helton and move on?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanCampaign, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Can our administration just announce that they are going to keep Helton and move on?
    TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    If there is anything worse than having him as a head coach for another year. It's announcing that he's going to be head coach for another year at the last freaking moment.

We are acting like a teenage boy who is too shy to tell a girl that he likes her and comes up with all these stupid reasons to not do it. It really does not matter who does or doesn't coach in the bowl game. The long-term direction of this program is more important than a meaningless Holiday Bowl.

If we are going to keep him then just announce it and deal with the backlash. If we are not going to keep him then end it and bring in whoever it is even if it's not Urban.

This whole process has become ridiculous. Any other school would have made this decision in a few days.

ConquerorSC and Cyrus like this.

2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I mean we have been like other schools that fired or hired coaches, whenever and wherever, maybe they are trying to make it a real process?

They could be waiting to put together a solid list of candidates and talk about it after making a decision on Mr.Fight. Especially after the regular season ends, plus it gives Bohn (who's living in a Hotel, abit a really nice one) more time to get his staff in order, otherwise, replacements could be put in strange positions dealing with an HC transition and a department transition at the same time.

Either way, something needs to be announced next week or this coming weekend. Not addressing it would be foolish.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    uscjrl98 likes this.
  3. August West

August West Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    It’s actually refreshing that they are considering all options....unlike the last two turds who made decisions based on personal gain.

4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    IF they are going to keep him, they need to make the announcement ASAP. Don’t wait till the last moment, leaving us and more importantly the recruits, waiting much longer than needed.

However, if there is still a decent chance that we are getting a new HC, don’t announce anything till after Dec. 1st. I have to think that this is what they are doing.

5. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019

I think they're just waiting for the season to end to make an announcement. They're not keeping him.

August West, oajr01 and uscjrl98 like this.
  6. Arthur Jury

Arthur Jury Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I agree with the OP. If they are going to keep Helton, an announcement would have been made already. Agree or not, even Jerry Jones stated support (At least for the time being ...) for Jason Garrett after that debacle loss to Buffalo immediately after the game.

The lack of a "support notice" or a "notice of retention" by now says volumes - and indicates he will be gone, either after Utah crushes CU and we have a toilet bowl game in 4 weeks (time to allow for the interim coach (Harrell? Whomever?) to get the team there - or when we get super smashed again v. Oregon in the Pac12 game.

In the meantime, it is imperative that we name a strong coach figure immediately to save the 'early recruiting deadline' 11th of 12 PAC rating or 65th national rating clusterF that Helton has left us with, and that new coach can be on the recruiting trail and pursuit of better assistant coaches while the interim gets us through the bowl game.

TrojanFireHorse12 and uscjrl98 like this.
  7. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    For HH, it may be a foregone conclusion that this recruiting class is going to be in the dumps. If so, their timeline is very different from what we would hope it to be.

8. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    Bravo. Someone else with common sense.

download (92).jpeg

9. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I feel like I'm being pretty reasonable when I say this. If This Were Alabama they would not handle this the way that USC is handling this.

It's one thing to avoid unnecessary attention. It's another thing to hold people who invest their time and money completely in the dark. If that's what they are doing then why can't they just say it?

We have contacted x, y, z, and we are interviewing all of them including the current head coach to determine who would be the best choice. All we are getting is pretty much " we will see later".

There is always another excuse for this program. One moment it's the president. One moment it's the athletic director. One moment it's because it's mid-season. What next?

August West likes this.
  10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I mean the guy is still on the payroll and under contract. So it would be pretty unprofessional to start talking about others. And if they did, then it could possibly break some sort of labor or employee conduct, per standard contract agreements or law. So this silent could be based on legal practice. But I get what you're saying, if he's gone then say that he's gone or vice versa instead of stringing everybody along, with platitudes including Mr.Fight and his family.

11. DaFireMedic

Nov 29, 2019
    I get it and I understand the sentiment. But at the point that we are now, unless he knows he’s keeping Helton, he has to wait until Dec. 1.

12. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    All CONJECTURE...

Two possible scenarios

1. AD waiting until PAC 12 season CONCLUDED (as has been said numerous times previously) to release HC.

2. AD and HC in discussions on coaching CHANGES and possible future coordinators being recruited, as well as EXPECTED program directional changes being put in place by current AD, establishing program expectations moving forward.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

VELOSH82 likes this.
  13. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Nov 29, 2019
    Certainly the AD can’t fire him yet, just in the small chance Utah loses to CU and ‘SC backs into the Conference Championship game.

How do some of you not understand that?

That’s my hope.....that it is the reason he has not gotten a vote of confidence prior to that game .

14. VELOSH82

VELOSH82 Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    I Agree for the most part, and see where your going with this.

I too, hope our AD is not going to wait too Long.

I take the approach that Coach Clay should Coach the Bowl game, after that, we shall see where we go from there.

15. DaFireMedic

Nov 30, 2019
    I would agree if it weren’t for early signing day.