Can a “clean” program be a perennial CFB power ?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by USCDDS, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Can a “clean” program be a perennial CFB power ?
    USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    I think it’s fair to say the top dogs in today’s college football landscape aren’t running unsullied programs. I personally think it’s possible to have an elite program if you’ve got a great HC/staff that can land some key recruits and develop players. But, how hard is it for those “clean” programs to win year after year? We’ve seen programs like a Stanford or Wisconsin experience the highs/lows the past few years for example.

If we have convinced ourselves as USC fans that we “deserve” to be a top 5 program, then we better be OK with doing what it takes to get there and stay there. If our new AD chooses to only target “clean” coaching candidates, we better also acknowledge that it will be difficult to achieve success quickly and to maintain a consistent level of dominance.

There are just as few elite head coaches as there are elite CFB programs. Is USC in fact prepared to be elite at all costs?

2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    is Enfield on the basketball front considered clean by hiring the 2020 #1 recruit's dad? At the very least, I commend Enfield trying to get USC basketball to the top through rather innovative means. Didn't seem to bother the AD/higher ups considering he signed off on it.

3. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Hell yeah, let’s get dirty. I love winning!!!

4. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    With all that has happened on and off campus I am positive that ethics and following rules will be high on the list above winning. There are lots of clean winners out there, you just have to search very hard.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  5. August West

August West Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    None of Urban Meyer’s teams were sanctioned, does that qualify?

Stoops ran a very clean program.

I don’t recall Dabo’s kids getting into much trouble?

6. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    First things first, while many don't like Nick Saban, he does run a clean program, same with Dabo Swinney. I think it's a little disingenuous to assume the reason they are on top is because they are not clean programs. Where are the NCAA violations, unusual student behaviors? There are none. The issue for SC is to hire the best coach they can get and get back to being elite and that coach does not have to be a criminal.

7. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Short answer; NO

VM805 likes this.
  8. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    What’s clean? A Baylor RB posted a youtube of him squatting 600 lbs. The barbell was bent like a noodle. Of course he got his supplements from GNC

Sure.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    TrojanWagon88 likes this.
  9. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Are you kidding about Saban? The cars his kids drive? the arrests of his kids that go unpunished by the court system and then followed up by a slap on the wrist by Saban..
    As for Swinney, I’m still waiting to see if he can explain how his players were accidentally given steroids by them.

ConquerorSC and TrojanWagon88 like this.
  10. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Alabama is about as clean as a preacher's sheets. If you believe that the top programs are winning and are doing it ''clean'', then I have beach front property in Utah that I can sell to you.

11. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Cam Robinson and Hootie Jones definitely think Alabama runs a "clean" program.

If you are charged with a felony, there is no suspension. That's clean as a whistle!

"Charges listed for Robinson include possession of a controlled dangerous substance and, more importantly, illegal possession of stolen firearms, which is a felony. Jones is being charged with possession of a controlled dangerous substance and the illegal carrying of a weapon."

They played Game 1 against USC.

Isaiah Langley was suspended for the same game...for public intoxication and not leaving a UCLA party, LOL.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  12. USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    To be a little more clear, my comments about running a "clean" program were made in gest; lots of posters on here that think Urban Meyer is too "dirty" to be named our HC.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for someone to explain how Tua enrolls at Alabama and his whole family moves with him from Hawaii, or how Clemson lures 5* recruits to Death Valley...South Carolina is nice, but it ain't Los Angeles. There are only a handful of CFB programs that are elite year after year, and those are ones that have figured out the secret sauce, whether they get caught by the NCAA or not.

BTW, do we think Pete ran a squeaky clean program? Was it just the recruiting acumen of a Coach O or Kiffin or Sark that landed us guys like Mike William from FL, Cushing from NJ, or kept the 5* So Cal talent at home, or was it something else?

13. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Well, don't search in the SEC

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  14. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    A better question is whether a "nice" guy can win a NC. Not sure that's ever happened. Most top coaches seem like they're pretty tough on their players and asst. coaches and rarely fall in love with weak centers. Urban, Nick. Dabo...I'm sure they can be royal jerks.

15. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    My wife compared them to surgeons. They can be real jerks at times but know how to get it done in a high stakes environment.

16. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Now? No. In 2023? Yes. Star athletes will want to come to USC just for the marketing exposure and get paid for every time their likeness is used for advertisements.

17. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    The best at what they do are usually jerks because they know they are the best. It takes a bit of arrogance and a lot of pride to be the best.

18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Why would they come to USC specifically for this? Why not other schools whose boosters offer more money than USC’s do for their “endorsements”?

VM805 likes this.
  19. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I think the larger trend is that extraordinarily successful people, in general, tend to be jerks, even if they've managed to cultivate a milder public persona.

Regarding running a "clean" program and managing to win - I'd say no, but only because dirty tactics are what are needed to land and recruit the best players - in a sport like football.

In a sport that nobody cares that much about, I think it would be much easier to run a clean program and still win. In sports where there isn't millions of dollars at stake, where stadiums aren't filled with 100,000 screaming, ticket paying fans every Saturday, then the stakes aren't that high, and consequently, the competition to get the best players isn't that high.

Let's say you're the, oh I don't know, the team handball coach at some college and your goal is to win a national championship for your school. First off, it's likely that your school's athletic department doesn't provide any scholarships for team handball, or only a very limited number.

Nobody freaking watches team handball in this country, and nobody is buying tickets or tuning into a team handball match on TV.

So - trying to get the best players for your team is a matter of selling yourself as a coach, selling your school as a great place to go to school and play team handball, and maybe peripherally selling your school's locale as a great place to be for a college-aged person.

Not one single dollar will be given to any team handball parent for their child's services, or cars bought, or any shenanigans of that sort.

Football, as we know, is big, mf-ing business. Even high schools recruit kids to play for them because of the high stakes involved. The kids who are good at it are given special treatment because, well, they are. They have a special talent that many others are willing to pay big bucks for to watch that talent on the field.

So, running a "clean" program (which presumably means none of your kids are getting any sort of compensation for their services beyond a scholarship to attend school) basically means you're deliberately handicapping yourself.

TL;DR version: No, you can't win (consistently) running a "clean" program.