Cameron Smith says he needs open-heart surgery

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Cameron Smith says he needs open-heart surgery
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    An instagram post from former USC linebacker Cameron Smith:

"Earlier this week I found out I need open heart surgery to fix a bicuspid aortic valve that I was born with. Although this will unfortunately end my 2020 season, it is really a blessing that we found this as my heart is severely enlarged and wouldn’t have lasted much longer. I found this out after I tested positive for COVID and had to have further testing done as protocol. The Lord works in mysterious ways, but I could really feel him on this one!
    There is a surgery that will allow me to continue to play football as soon as I am healed and cleared and I didn’t think twice about going with that one. By no means am I ready to be done playing football, there is still so much more I want to accomplish on the field. Im going to attack this like everything else I have in life. Already looking forward to the comeback! #SKOL"

2. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I'm confused about one of our best linebackers ever to play and "his" announcement about this illness. One one hand the heart is severely enlarged and would not last much longer, and there is a discussion of COVID contributing, but now there is a surgery that will get him back on the field next year??? Cardio Hypertrophy is not something that reverses itself [I have it too] [my case is mild but will eventually kill me due to CHF] What surgery is going to correct this. What is the current EF with this finding of hypertrophy? Or is it just valve prolapse? I'm confused.

VM805 likes this.
  3. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    Horrible news. Cam is way too young for this kind of thing.

4. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I don’t think he implied the COVID contributed, just that the defect he was born with was discovered due to COVID exams. At least that’s the way I read it.

woohit42 and Jose like this.
  5. bobtrojan

bobtrojan New Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Prayers for Cam. Hope he can continue to live his dream of playing football. I had a nice long chat with his mom a few years ago in South Bend before the ND game. We were at adjoining tailgates and spotted my brother, nephew and I in our SC regalia and came over to say hi. She was really great.

6. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    I assume the positive Covid test led to an echo which led to the diagnosis of the bicuspid aortic valve. The valve typically has 3 leaflets but many babies are born with 2 leaflets fused together. They will likely perform an aortic valve replacement.

I hope the best for him and question whether he will play football again.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  7. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Prayers for Cam Smith

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  8. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Prayers for Cam Smith to have a successful surgery and a complete and speedy recovery!

In a broad sense, is it possible to consider this a case of the Corona virus pandemic actually helping someone?

9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Nothing to be confused about. The bad valve was uncovered as part of his workup for COVID positivity; COVID did not cause it. In his case, his left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) was due to a bad valve and is entirely reversible with a good valve. I just wonder why it wasn't picked up earlier; if the stenosis was that bad, he would have had a murmur that would have been picked up during his team physical.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    The bicuspid aortic valve causes a narrowing which causes the heart to enlarge to overcome the narrowing. Replace the valve and the heart returns to normal. He is not saying he has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and likely he does not have it. Good news for Cam!!

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  11. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Yep, just like Frankie Telfort’s career ended before it started.

12. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Thank God they caught it. Fight on, Cam!

13. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Fight on brother Smith! May God see you through this. The entire Trojan family is with you on “this tackle”