California Governor 'not anticipating' normal NFL, College football games in the fall

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by PacTrojan, Apr 4, 2020.

1. California Governor 'not anticipating' normal NFL, College football games in the fall
    PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    "During a Saturday press conference, California Governor Gavin Newsom stated that he does not expect normal NFL or college football games to be played in front of full stadiums in the state of California later in the year.

"I'm not anticipating that happening in this state," Newsom said. "We've all seen the headlines over the last couple days in Asia where they opening up certain businesses and now they're starting to roll back those openings because they're starting seeing some spread and there's a boomerang. One has to be very cautious here, one has to be careful not to overpromise."

The governor then stated that an unnamed "well-known football player" asked if the season will happen as originally planned.

"I would move very cautiously in that expectation," Newsom said. "Our decision on that basis here in the State of California will be determined by the facts, will be determined by the health experts, will be determined by our ability to meet this moment and bend the curve ... Right now I'm just focusing on the immediate, but that's not something I anticipate happening in the next few months."​

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/NFL-coronavirus-return-on-time-stadiums-cancel-15179444.php

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 4, 2020
    It was a long time where we didn’t know what was going to happen in five hours. Feels okay to say we won’t know what’s going to happen in five months. But clearly we’re all hoping for a better outcome than no sports in September though.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Newsom just killed it IMO.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Newsome gave warning to pro & college teams don't count on fall, pray. Ram email said season ticket holders get refund or credit for 2021. I will take refund

5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Any rumblings Erik as to what SC will do for its season ticket holders should there not be football this season? I would be ok with a credit.

6. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Apr 5, 2020
    You mean, like your tin foil supply?

The Lizard King likes this.
  7. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 6, 2020
    I haven’t heard anything specific as to a plan for that yet.

8. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Apr 7, 2020
    That also means no high school football. A lot of good California players will fall through the cracks.

Recruiting will also tank. We may end with another dismal year of recruiting. The effects of 2019-2020 will last a long time.

9. Damien

Damien Points Member

Apr 7, 2020
    I am sure they will trasnfer to a state that is playing football and live with a family member or someone if CA does not allow them to play. Same goes for college players if the CA Gov says no but others say yes.