California Athletes Rights Bill

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Rigged4fun, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Sleepysx3

Sleepysx3 Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    South Carolina has pushed their own version of Fair play currently. This is pretty big. Wonder where Clemson will stand on this.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  2. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I basically agree with you, but its not just the Uncle Phils out there. So would you be okay with "Gus the Alabama fan" telling High School QB star Bryce Young he'll give him $10,000 for his smiling image to put on the free 2021 calendar Gus gives to customers visiting his Used Car lot... but only if Bryce signs with Bama? Of course this sort of booster conduct is already a violation of NCAA rules, however its the money trail that usually tips it off but if getting paid for your image becomes okay, how do you know if the deal was made before or after a kid signs with a school?

3. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    it's the same thing that happens now but with lets visible attachments...right under the surface.

4. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 13, 2019
    Seems like a compromise would be for the schools to increase scholarship benefits depending on income brought in. But it is going against the grain of college sports being an amateur sport. Not for pay but as part of education. To do something for other than money.
    To pay college athletes would taint the game. When will things be something other than money?
    The solution would be let the athletes go pro whenever they want. That should have been the bill.
    Shame that California as usual is so money hungry

5. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    A New California League?

6. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    did we read the same thing? taint the game? hahahahaha

Do you think UNC's education scandal just happened at UNC?

What other naive bs do folks on this board believe about this game...things will be about other than money, when they stop printing it and medical bills don't cost thousands upon thousands. Once the sport is done, you can't take scholarships benefits with you. While others get billions.

7. TrojanHorse

Sep 13, 2019
    I've always been a proponent of having a minor league system for the post high school athletes that want to get paid. Fine no problem. But leave college athletics to people that want to go to college and understand the value of that.

California politicians are proving every day that they are out of their minds.

DJ4SC, K9Buck and DaFireMedic like this.
  8. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    The people that work at these colleges that oversee these sports, don't know how to handle them. Or should we recount the stories? oh yeah, the big bad California Politicians ruling the state, that other states suck for money.

9. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    The last thing I want to see is USC vs San Jose St. three times a year.

A California League would unsustainable and would mean the end of USC football within a few years.

LDIABootney likes this.
  10. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    none of that is happening

jjg4sc likes this.
  11. DaFireMedic

Sep 13, 2019
    I know it’s not just Phil Knight. He’s just one example that we would all recognize of a powerful and wealthy booster who has shown a willingness to donate large sums of money to help the football team. It could be abused by small businesses like Gus and Guido as well.

I’m not OK with any kind of “Pay to come to my school” scenario where the most important factor in recruiting becomes how shady your boosters are willing to be in making under the table deals. I realize that it already happens, but this legislation in its current form could push it to levels where college football essentially has free agency. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it, or if they even try.

Maybe I’m just reading too much into it, or maybe others are not seeing the bigger picture, we’ll just have to see how this plays out. But it’s coming, that much is clear. It will be up to the NCAA to figure out how to deal with these issues.

12. DaFireMedic

Sep 13, 2019
    I know.

13. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    What about amateurism and college scholarships? Schools have to be accredited and belong to the NCAA to compete.

14. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    This over likeness, name, and image literally. Nothing else.

15. TrojanHorse

Sep 13, 2019
    I think they already have. Though I suppose they could be bluffing when they say they are going to ban the California schools

16. DaFireMedic

Sep 13, 2019
    I think they said they were going to discipline schools, which could include a post season ban, if they violate the rules. I could see the NCAA doing this to counter any kind of recruiting advantage, but I don’t think it will get to that point.

I think the NCAA will get something in place nationwide before 2023 so that California schools won’t have an advantage.

17. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    NCAA really can't do anything, it breaks federal trust laws and they have tried trying to stop it in courts and have failed every time. The day that the NCAA bans a whole state is the day that, the NCAA is done.

18. DaFireMedic

Sep 13, 2019
    I don’t think they ever said that they would ban a whole state, only that they would continue to enforce their rules, meaning that if USC has a player that accepts impermissible benefits, USC may receive disciplinary action that could include scholarship reductions, not being able to go to a bowl game, etc.

I’m not a lawyer, but as USC fans know, the NCAA has done that in the past. I don’t know if this California specific legislation changes that at all.

19. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 13, 2019
    NCAA is going to have to play ball because other states will do the same.

20. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    If California wins in court, it will become a free-agency and bidding/auction for the best players. They'll be professionals. I presume the politicians in California view all college athletes of being victims of the NCAA and of universities. If they win in court, we'll be able to thank California Democrats for basically destroying college football as we know it.