California Athletes Rights Bill

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Rigged4fun, Sep 12, 2019.

1. California Athletes Rights Bill
    Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Sep 12, 2019

2. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    This story is huge right now! Passed overwhelmingly through the state houses. NCAA really has no choice, especially if other states (especially SEC states) attempt to do the same. They’ll have to allow it for everyone and get their “parity” and probably attempt to regulate it. It’s gonna be the Wild West! I’m getting the first pair of Slovis Airs!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    crank31 likes this.
  3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    California’s law won’t go into effect until 2023, so the NCAA will have time to adjust.

It’s coming, there’s no question about it at this point. We’ll just have to wait and see what the affects are on college football.

4. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Washington and Colorado are already looking into enact a Fair Play Act

5. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    This is really going to create some problems, gets young people involved in stuff they probably aren’t prepared for. I’m talking about the outlier kids that go to extreme measures to monetize themselves and possible dealings with shady people. I have to think some regulations will be added to create boundaries. Could create a lot of resentment on teams as well with the haves and have nots. Glad they have 3+ years to sort it out. Ncaa should get on board immediately if the gov signs it, stop the bs about punishing CA schools.

6. DaFireMedic

Sep 12, 2019
    I’m concerned about the under the table booster bidding wars. Not sure how they can stop that.

I agree that it’s fair that players should be able to use their names/images to make money. I’m just concerned about how these issues will be dealt with once it’s in play.

SCBIGTIME, CP619 and jjg4sc like this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    So star player gets a cut of jerseys, video game image? During student or get $ after graduating? No problem as long as we match SEC. We are already behind TV $$ thanks to King Larry

TrojanFireHorse12 and SCBIGTIME like this.
  8. DaFireMedic

Sep 12, 2019
    If that was all it was, I agree, no problem. I think they should get a healthy cut of that stuff.

It’s the recruiting, and the role boosters could play in it that has me concerned. How do you stop boosters from going after coveted recruits with endorsement offers? Or do you even try? Does the college football world live with free agency now? How do we deal with boosters luring star players into the transfer portal with under the table offers of endorsements? Are USC boosters willing and able to keep up with the Phil Knights, etc.?

There’s just a lot of issues that will need to be dealt with once this kicks in.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Slovis Airs sounds legit.

jjg4sc likes this.
  10. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Fair pay is about fair. I think there could be a legal cap by the NCAA that would stand constitutional merit.

Also, this will completely blow up Title IX. This is not a slam dunk. The NCAA should get ahead of this an come up with some sort of plan. If not you are going to have some serious problems maintaining college football as a viable entity.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  11. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 12, 2019
    What about Nike? Oregon alone could get every top athlete in the country by putting them in commercials, own shoe, posters, etc

LDIABootney and DaFireMedic like this.
  12. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    How much money can the kids make on Jerseys? USC don’t put names on them. The big question, Will they start putting names?

13. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Agree with several posters here. USC can't compete on paying money to athletes with Oregon, ND perhaps, the SEC...heck--T Boone Pickens, who just died, gave OK St something like $110M for athletics. Hard to see how we win here.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  14. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    I think they can. We have Hollywood.

15. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Has that been our experience Big donations from "Hollywood?" Or are you figuring Ron Howard will cast them? Have we had any FB-Hollywood connections since Marion Morrison?

16. DaFireMedic

Sep 12, 2019
    Exactly my concern. I’m not sure how they’d stop it.

17. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I've read the bill and people need to recognize that there's nothing in it that requires that schools allow players to use the schools trademarked logos, nicknames, colors etc, let along the actual team jersey/uniform or close facsimile. The bill clearly states the student-athletes "image."

I'm pretty positive that the NCAA would also make it clear that schools are not allowed to let student-athletes use the school or teams identity too. So the actual value that players would be able to get for their solo image is rather small.

jjg4sc and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  18. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I’m thinking this will be more like Slovis getting paid to have his picture used for Nissan of Los Angeles.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  19. DaFireMedic

Sep 13, 2019
    I don’t think anyone (except the NCAA) cares if a player uses his/her name or image to make money. This is not at all where the concern lies. I’m all for them to be able to sell the rights to their name and image to Gus’s Used Cars or Guido’s House of Spaghetti, or to start their own monetized You Tube channel, etc. Those are all legit.

My concern is entirely with how it will affect recruiting, the transfer portal, and boosters using the law as a conduit to offer lucrative endorsements to lure star players to their schools. How do we deal with it when Uncle Phil signs the top 20 recruits in the country to six figure endorsement deals, and lo and behold, those recruits just happen to choose Oregon?

And when he decides he wants a Kedon Slovis or a Drake Jackson, a little bird comes and whispers in their ear to enter the Transfer Portal, knowing that there’s a bigger endorsement deal to be had there than anything they got at USC.

These are the concerns, as these are the things that will destroy college football if left unchecked.

20. K9Buck

K9Buck Active Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Well, if and when the NCAA rules a player ineligible for accepting a payment, California would sue and then I suppose it would be up to a court to decide this matter. Inevitably, it will become a bidding war for the best players in the country.