Caadyn Stephen (another OT) commits to USC 2020 class

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 4, 2019.

2. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Looks a grown man already. Eat meat and hit the weights hard. If even 3 of all these OL commits this year pan out well then we’re in pretty good shape for the next 4yrs.

3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 5, 2019
    Now THIS is the way to build a team for the son of an offensive line coach who says we want to be like stanford then notre dame but now runs the ... Air Raid?

Anyway, I love seeing all these big guys commit.

4. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I do like our commitment to lineman - finally. Pretty much everyone who even barely pays attention to SC football knows we havent loaded up in YEARS.

5. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    3 star? Is he better than that?

FTFO/USC likes this.
  6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    FTFO/USC likes this.
  7. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    What everybody needs to understand is that being a 5 star lineman doesn’t necessarily mean they are going to be the best at the college level. We all know it generally takes a couple of years of college level coaching and weight training before linemen are ready to step into the starting line up and perform and perform at a high level regardless of star ratings. I know the argument for 4 and 5 star rankings but I personally think as a former lineman myself, linemen take longer to develop therefore, I feel star ranking aren’t nearly important for linemen as they are for skill positions....

CCTrojans and jjg4sc like this.
  8. FTFO/USC

FTFO/USC Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    lol we've seen what Helton does with 5star/4star linemen... i guess we'll see how he does with 3stars.

9. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Yeah, two different arguments going on here:

1. Which type of OL recruit works out best in the longrun (5-star or 3-star)
    2. My Point - What does the caliber/eliteness of these OL recruits say about where SC is in recruiting and who is interested in them

I'm more talking about #2. But to your point of #1, I'd have more confidence in 3 stars if Helton and his OL Coaches had a better reputation of developing OL's.

Our current depth chart is low on game-ready starters, and I'd expect we'll be losing a couple after the season. We need a combo of OL's that can start early, and others that are longer-term projects.

Our current class of OL recruits for '20 are all 3 stars per 247, that's not gonna cut it! None of the top 10 teams recruit this way, nor did we in our more succesful years.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

motovich likes this.
  10. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Camas is a solid program and a regional powerhouse, but he's a big fish in a relatively small pond. I doubt he'll play across any DL heavier than 250 lbs and are any good during his season.

Since we're already past the camp period, not sure if he has experience going against top talent.

Hufanga/Pili/Tuipulotu all came from smaller schools in that same region, but they went through the camp circuit and competed well against the best.

FTFO/USC likes this.
  11. BigDaddy4464

BigDaddy4464 Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Totally agree with LoyalTrojan. What makes the difference between a 3, 4 or 5* OL. Is it size, footwork, level of competition.
    OR is it the program they come from and their record, history, reputation, the PR/hype surrounding the player, or my favorite, coming from the SEC/ACC Area? Who's making these calls, anyone who's ever been in the trenches, let alone worn a cup?
    Give me a frame that can be developed, good feet and a nasty attitude.
    Stars don't mean diddly-poo!

jjg4sc likes this.
  12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Clemson/Bama/Oklahoma/tOSU would disagree with your approach.

It's the age-old, circular debate on this site.

In the end, the "ideal" recruiting approach is to try and get players that check off as many boxes as possible, to minimize the risk the player won't work out:

• Size
    • Body Composition
    • Quickness/Strength
    • Game performance
    Against top talent hopefully
    Camp performance against top talent

• Intelligence (both academically and fb)
    • Pedigree (both in HS program as well as familiar lineage if possible)
    • Desire and fire

The "5*" that Bama/Clemson are getting are thought to check all/most of these boxes. And since most of their players are of this caliber, if one doesn't pan out, that's perfectly ok, since the starter is solid. And guess what, Bama/Clemson will recruit top talent the next year as well, so there'll be a fresh batch of studs to compete next year.

Our current approach of getting a bunch of 3* will, statistically speaking, struggle to bring top talent that can compete with the Buckeyes/Clemsons of the world. The odds are that you will strike gold on 1 0r 2, but not enough to compete at the highest levels.

This 3* approach works for Boise St. and Utah, but we don't have their coaches.

Hockey10 and Rainman44 like this.
  13. motovich

motovich Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 6, 2019
    This argument brings up another issue of whether the coaching staff has deliberately shifted its recruiting strategy since they are missing on so many of the top national and local recruits. It appears like they are spending most of their time, effort and money focusing on uncovering underrated 3-star level recruits rather than fighting for higher rated guys that have some interest in USC, but not a lot. This is a big change from the way USC has always recruited-- aggressively pursuing the top players locally and some nationally and then filling in with lesser recruits. We didn't care too much about finding and developing diamonds in the rough.

Hockey10 likes this.
  14. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Have to remember, they are recruiting OL players to fit a system....

15. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Huge gamble if coaches are recruiting specifically for the AR and not checking a bunch of the boxes above. Just imagine if Helton is gone at the end of the season and we're left with a bunch of OL's that can't run other offenses. We'd be hosed for years.

I'm guessing the AR doesn't require much different OL's than any other. Technically, Oklahoma runs the AR and recruits top OL's from all over the country. The AR/Spread allows a school like Wazzu to "make-do" with lesser OL's, but certainly not a requirement.

Wazzu just sent an OL to the 1st Rd of the NFL, he was a beast.

16. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    IMHO it’s best to get a combination of both. The 5 stars play early but also leave early. The 3 stars redshirt and stick around for 5 years. They can work into starters by year 3 or 4 or at least provide quality depth in case of injury or a 5 star takes longer to develop or doesn’t pan out.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  17. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Exactly!

Now all we need are a couple 5 stars/High 4 Stars to round out the class...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  18. RealTrojan78

RealTrojan78 Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Yes. We won’t get the five star players back overnight. Would you send your 5 star son here if you were unsure of managements vision and commitment? Success will breed more success.