Budget improvement?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Boselli, Feb 12, 2020.

1. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Highly unlikely...and bordering on the not possible category. Helton isn't going anywhere until his contract is up, that much I can assure you (barring an egregious scandal or another sub-.500 season). The investment into the new coaching staff is a clear indication that USC wants Helton to succeed. Harrell gets a significant raise and his TE coach, Orlando gets an all-star team of position coaches and recruiters, and we get an ST coach who is one of the best in all of CFB. The administration either really believes in Helton and wants to give him the budget to compete or they are trying to prop the guy up until the contract runs out. As for Harrell, Orlando, Snyder, Williams, et al., I am sure they see this as an opportunity to work with one of the most talented rosters in all of college football who have consistently underachieved, mostly due to coaching. It's a great situation for them...it shouldn't be difficult at all for them to make big improvements. Just look what Harrell did in his first season as an OC and he's just getting started.

SC93er likes this.
  2. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Taken as a whole these comments really harkin back to Swann's idea about coaching like the Pittsburgh Steelers. Stick by your head coach but move assistant coaches in and out as needed. Like CEO style.

3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    The Steelers had Chuck Noll who was pretty good HC to build around. Gotta have a good foundation to do it this way.

Regarding CEO, I’m not seeing too many similarities between how we are doing it and how LSU is. They didn’t stick by their HC and move assistant coaches in and out, rather they replaced the HC first, then built around him with good assistants. We aren’t doing that.

I’m pretty sure that if CEO had had a losing season in his third year, LSU would have started by replacing him, not just the assistants.

SC93er and Troy70 like this.
  4. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Agree, starts at the top. In this case, maybe not starting with our HC but with our AD. Previous experience tells us HC is lacking and cannot attract top assistants. AD appears to have a bigger phone list, more stroke and able to make the $$ work. We are in "plug and play" mode and hoping it works. HC needs to step back from the day to day details and let the assistants run the ship.

5. DaFireMedic

Feb 14, 2020
    I don’t see this working if the HC is rendered a figurehead. It’s like having a high quality ship with a high quality crew but no one in charge. It will never get anywhere.

The team needs to have a leader. He needs to let the OC, DC and STC run their sides of the ball, but he needs to oversee them, give them everything they need to do their job, and hold them accountable to get the results.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    lol

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I have discovered this. Sitting around stewing in ones misery or disappointment is not good for a person's health - physically AND mentally. For me, I have decided that I am not going to leave SC or drop being a fan. Since I have made that decision, I am going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. People have bashed me over and over for my positive outlook. Well, my motto is, and I have it on my email signature: It's easy enough to be pleasant when life flows along like a song, but the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile when everything goes dead wrong. This was a quote by Ellea Willcox given to me on a plaque by my grandmother when I was a boy. I hung it on the wall and read it everyday. It explains my never ending loyalty and optimism. I live by it. With what I am currently going through in my personal life, I am very thankful for it. After this season, I walked away from that for a while, and have been miserable. I havent lived up to it. I am thankful that Bohn has given me reason to press reset.

DaFireMedic and zitorocks like this.
  8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    You may be right about LSU but it has nothing to do with with historical culture of the Steelers.

Chuck Noll: 22 years .667 win%
    Bull Cower: 14 years .571 win %
    Mike Tomlin: 13 years .533 win%

Three coaches in 50 years. One owner family since inception in 1933

Swann has often quoted the above in interviews and articles about the Rooney family and the Steelers philosophy.
    -----------------------------

9. DaFireMedic

Feb 14, 2020
    You are no doubt right. I don’t follow the Steelers, but it is pretty incredible that they’ve gone so long with only 3 HC’s.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Folt thinks HC is what SC needs so no change . Clay is here thru his contract maybe longer. We can turn off the tv so no bloood pressure problems, lol

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  11. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Feb 16, 2020
    I think your theory definitely puts the "High" in "Who's High Pitch?" I'd like to hear your theories on the moon landing and the JFK assassination, I'll be waiting in my UFO.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  12. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Feb 17, 2020
    So you think Clay Helton just woke up one day and suddenly realized "I better start hiring some of the better assistant coaches that have been in my Rolodex all along!"?

13. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020
    I stopped spending money on SC football some time ago. It doesn’t make sense to me to drop many $hundreds on a crap product like SC football. It’s not just the product on the field either. The school has done their best to make sure we’re not welcome and our money is all they want. So, screw SC.
    I watch it on TV (when it’s available) and turn it off when I’ve seen enough. I miss games now. I never used to.
    I suspect Folt will eventually be gone and Bohn and Helton will disappear and Caruso and his cronies will die off and SC will become something different. Who knows what that will be but it probably won’t be what we had. Maybe it’ll be better? Unlikely, but thankfully I won’t be around to see it.

14. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Agree Boselli. I think we had that very same discussion a little over a year ago, prior to Swann getting canned. The Steelers had how many head coaches over the past 40 years? Like 3? Those coaches had some miserable seasons and I'm sure there was plenty of temptation to go in a different direction, but they view the HC as the CEO and the staff are the ones who have more affect on the field performance. Your coordinators become the most important people on the staff. I can compare it to my business. The President has little affect on how we conduct military operations or our success when we do so. His role is to ensure we get the resources we need from Congress and takes care of the diplomatic and economic areas. Each service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines) has its own leader who runs the operational and tactical procedures...and execution. Presidents typically have very little affect on my day to day duties and getting things done.

15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Love this GoSC...I'll tell you 2019 was the worst year of my life by 100x. I may never fully recover who I was. Things happen for a reason and we often get completely changed by just a few events in our life. Trojans football was the least of my problems and it's always easy for me to be optimistic about them...they always have amazing talent on the roster. Anything can happen with them. Don't let negative people on this board extinguish your optimism. I'm there with you. As for the real world...just always wondering when the next shoe will drop.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  16. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Great! You can say that Helton got a Bohnhead now