Bubba Bolden: How Did It Come To This?

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Oct 8, 2018.

1. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Wish you well Bubba! Next man up! Talanoa is improving each game and he can put hard hits on the best of them. He is always around the ball.
    Fight On Talanoa!

AnArchitect and sctrojan2006 like this.
  2. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    And you know what he did? You know that it was that egregious that he would be punished this severely? Sorry, but two years is way out of line when you see other schools punish for acts of violence, not stupid words.

SCTradition1 likes this.
  3. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    You do not know what you are talking about. According to his own statement released on Monday he was cleared by the USC Title IX Office.

Here's his version of what happened...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bor-35ygSRM/?utm_source=ig_embed

4. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    There are many explanations for people using improper English on these boards. If you went around acting as the grammar police or Mr. Spell Checker, you'd never get anything else done. Granted this was a rare instance where it changed the meaning of the sentence, which is the only time I will ding someone on their usage errors. Some posters here are fans and did not go to the University or any other college to enjoy freshman English as we did where you get a C for two errors on a paper and cannot earn an A with such an error. It made us sticklers for this kind of thing the rest of our lives. But you should understand this is not the place for that. People don't proof read often here and just want to continue the dialogue without spending too much time. Even contributors like Katz don't proof read their content before it "goes to press."

I'm already on the record for what I think of this situation, so no need to rehash that - especially since we disagree on the woman's issue.

5. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Don’t feed the troll. Most of us post ad hoc and very quickly. Be assured I know the difference between accept and except. I even know the difference among there, their and they’re.

6. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    We all know about the infamous frat houses that were disbanded and the out of control debauchery that led up to it. But that was settled even while I was on campus in the late 80's and early 90's. WAIT; how many times have the SAEs been banned from USC? If it is as bad as you say it is for Bolden, then we must have done a horrible job at vetting him and he should never have been offered a schollie in the first place. Somehow I doubt that is the case given Hellton's aegis and direction and morals.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    AnArchitect likes this.
  7. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Not going to get political, but this is a bi-product of a certain movement.

The fact that he was deemed guilty even though the legal system exonerated him baffles me.

Total support to Mr Bolden wherever he goes. Sorry that USC left you to the wind.

8. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Yet, you are the one that is soft on people that commit infractions. I call myself a USC Alumnus, so I also care about the other members of the Trojan Family...that aren't on the football team. Do you have proof he was railroaded? Do you even know all the details surrounding the matter? The sad thing is you think it is good for a team to have players that lack discipline. Go watch the NFL, if you want to win at all costs.

9. Gold Trojan

Oct 9, 2018
    If Title IX won’t touch it. And the legal system won’t touch it. How bad could it be? This is a huge over-reach to appease a certain segment within our society.

SCTradition1 and reaLchaZZZy like this.
  10. sctrojan2006

Oct 9, 2018
    Do you know what he did? People are crying on here because they do not like the determination made by USC, but they have no idea of all the details. The Student Code of Conduct is fairly easy to follow, and is the guidelines that all students agree to when the enroll. If you cannot follow them, then you have to deal with the consequences. Football players abusing fellow students is not an acceptable behavior...even when it is the next starting Safety.

AnArchitect likes this.
  11. sctrojan2006

Oct 9, 2018
    Why would Title IX touch it? It wasn't a Title IX infraction. Is cheating on an exam a criminal case? No, it is not. However, you may very well get expelled from school for it because it is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Bubba violated the Student Code of Conduct, so he has to deal with the consequences of his actions. If he felt the punishment was extreme, there is an appeals process. Did he exercise his right to appeal?

AnArchitect likes this.
  12. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    That is, in and of itself, why reform was needed and certain leaders had to go.
    They were insulated from the effects of their decisions.
    The rules only applied to little guys.

SCTradition1 and Merlin4SC like this.
  13. sctrojan2006

Oct 9, 2018
    I wasn't calling out his kids. He brought his kids into it, when he made the following comment:

"A two year suspension is appropriate punishment for threats made while inebriated? Really? I'm not sending my kids to 'SC if that's the case."

He implied that his kids are the type of kids that when inebriated make threats to others. I made a statement that other kid's parents would be grateful that he did not subject their children to being threatened. Plenty of people go out and have fun, it is when they start to get malicious and violent that the fun stops.

14. AnArchitect

Oct 9, 2018
    I'm not going to get political either, but I don't think it is a byproduct of any movement. This -wasn't- a Title IX issue, -or- a criminal issue. It was a Student Code issue. From the accounts I've heard - including the fact he left out that it was multiple occasions even after he wasn't drunk at a party anymore - had Bubba done this any time after the Student Code of Conduct was implemented (which was probably... the 1890's or something ;) , I think he was at least -risking- the same outcome.

15. AnArchitect

Oct 9, 2018
    Nope, different situation not as systemic. My understanding is that one of the frats in question was later banned - for other stuff - and it's been so long I think they may have even come back.

Part of my point was that while the general USC public might have heard rumors of any one of the incidents, hardly anyone knew the full extent of it and if they had, it would have been a bigger scandal. But it was dangerous to the University's reputation because there were staff ostensibly in place to minimize the occurrence of these kind of systems of exploitation and help the victims who were instead actively participating in efforts to quash the situations themselves and sweep the whole thing under the rug.

As for Bubba being "as bad as I say it was" I wasn't trying to make any account of what Bubba did, or any pattern he exhibited - and I wasn't trying to make a point out of it. I am just commenting on the situation in general, more with regards to the decisions that leave no party fully satisfied or bearing all of the injury that come up in complex communities; and trying to say that enforcement of things like the Student Code of Conduct without fear or favor is what does (or at least should) separate SC from the FSU's, OSU's, Baylor's, and PSU's of the world.

16. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Given the fact we’ve had players go to prison, almost go to prison and leave for various reasons over the last few years, I’d say vetting has been a problem, even though I believe we try, because I know for a fact we have passed on kids.

I don’t blame Helton at all. Recruiting is like dating, neither side always shows their true self through the process. And USC is no different than any other school in that aspect

It’s like what Chris Rock said about women and dating. That guy isn’t meeting you, he’s meeting your representative.

Trojack, sctrojan2006 and AnArchitect like this.
  17. AnArchitect

Oct 9, 2018
    Well said. And what school doesn't have to deal with all that? Even the service academies have scandals.
    What's important to me is the issue of integrity - whether it's handled in an honorable way regardless if the outcome is favorable to you or not. Which is why I have no respect for James Franklin.

18. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Oct 9, 2018
    I do not take any pleasure in this kid losing this great opportunity but I hope he uses this as a true learning experience and adapts accordingly fhisndoesnt have to define his life but for many it ends up that way (Bryce Dixon)

sctrojan2006 and AnArchitect like this.
  19. Gold Trojan

Oct 9, 2018
    Title IX covers race & gender based issues that arise in the university (man/women complaints). These complaints include sexual harassment and rape.
    Not sure what you were referring to with cheating on a test.

20. AnArchitect

Oct 9, 2018
    2006 is referring to the Student Code of Conduct. That's what Bubba is accused of violating.
    Not, in the end, some statue of Title IX, not (as it turns out) any criminal statute.
    Cheating on an academic test is not a violation of any federal or state laws.
    But it is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

sctrojan2006 likes this.