Bubba Bolden: How Did It Come To This?

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Oct 8, 2018.

2. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Not that the punishment was not warranted but it pales in comparison to how the Administration deals with their own bad behavior issues.

3. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    my reaction was similar. Since Max napped over the Med School dean's and campus physician's outrageous behavior, the school made sure to nail a young man who probably made a stupid, but not criminal, mistake.

4. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Set aside that he is a football player, but just a student attending USC on scholarship. His behavior was not appropriate, so a suspension of two years to no longer play football was the punishment. He was still to be allowed to attend school. He chose to leave the school, because he did not want to serve his punishment.

All students at USC regardless of scholarship or athletic prowess should be provided an opportunity to attend the University without threat of violence from another student. The privilege of suiting up in the Cardinal and Gold and playing alongside the other Men of Troy is an honor, and should not be taken lightly. The ability to obtain a degree from USC is a privilege and not a right.

He should have been thankful he was not expelled. I cannot say, "good riddance", because it is a sad day when a young man makes mistakes like this. He is a great athlete, but proved a poor steward of the Cardinal and Gold uniform. Farewell, and better luck in all future endeavors for this young man.

5. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    A two year suspension is appropriate punishment for threats made while inebriated? Really? I'm not sending my kids to 'SC if that's the case.

Our colleges have officially gone insane.

6. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Losing Cook, Ross, Bolden, and IPM in a span of about a month is a terrible sequence of events for the safety position. That was an area of good depth and now we are very thin. IPM is still with the program unlike the other three, but after the last two years you have to wonder how much he will be able to stay healthy. Hufanga and Pollard are the only other scholarship safeties set to return next year, and this year doesn't seem to be a great safety class out west at a time when we really need recruits at that position.

7. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    We don't really know the facts, and we never will. We will never see the witnesses testify, and we will never see their stories challenged by cross examination. That makes it virtually impossible to know whether this decision is just.

I do know that in light of the corruption and incompetence in the USC administration, and in light of the lack of due process that the accused tends to get in these university administrative hearings -- both at USC and elsewhere -- there is no obvious reason to give this decision any benefit of the doubt.

BREWcorp, GLA4USC, dbw021 and 7 others like this.
  8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Alleged threat, and noted as "unfounded" by the police. He said, she said...Man loses in almost all cases...Gotta be smart in these times. Title IX is a crucifying weapon.

9. sctrojan2006

Oct 8, 2018
    Sounds like a good idea. The other kids parents will be grateful, that you saved their children the experience of dealing with your kids. Fight On!

10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Title IX is one of the most despicable enactments of our government ever.

11. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    You have zero sense of proportionality. These are kids. Kids say dumb shit. Especially when drunk. Punishment for threats are warranted. Two year suspension is massively disproportionate to the "crime".

12. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Bullshit holier than thou attitude. Did you even attend college? Stupid stuff gets blown out of proportion all the time. It’s part of growing up. If he was a threat, he should have been thrown out of school. If he wasn’t a threat, then he should have gotten counseling and maybe forced to sit the year. What USC did was in nobody’s best interest accept maybe the risk actuaries who are going to be taking in the shorts when the md school lawsuits start flying in.

If Bolden was as bad as some indicated, he would have been bad with or without football.

13. sctrojan2006

Oct 8, 2018
    Holier than thou? How about holding people accountable for their actions. Yes, I attended college. I attended and graduated from USC. Did you? They did not take away his scholarship, they suspended him from team sports. People on this board complain about the teams discipline on the field. How about their discipline off the field? I guess in some's eyes the Student Code of Conduct should be set aside for the football elite. I am not one of them.

fssca51, DavidC and gubo&palanka like this.
  14. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    What a bag of politically correct garbage! Who are you trying to impress? The University doesn't give a crap about your opinion. And, it certainly doesn't care what USC Football program supporters think. You may be OK with the Admin. turning SC into a weak kneed prep school but we aren't. With attitudes like this, we will never beat Alabama or ND again. My attitude is; that if the police said there was neither harm nor foul and that the incident was off campus and it was a "he said - she said," then why does anyone care about this? And, it adds insult to injury, that they dug this crap up just before the first game of the year, when in reality it happened months earlier, DiFi style. WHY?!!!!

Looking at Bolden in Fall Camp gave me hope of having a decent year, but now we don't even have Palamao and he wasn't nearly as good as Bolden. My opinion is that this shit stinks to high heaven and I am royally pissed off they could get away with this crap.

PS. I also attended and graduated from USC - twice, and Student Conduct was not out of control then. This is now just like out of control Title IX BS, where the kids life is ruined but later we find out he was innocent. How many times do we have to go through this shit???

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  15. sctrojan2006

Oct 8, 2018
    From the team, not from school. Getting drunk and threatening women is not appropriate. How would you feel if it was your daughter being threatened by a man? Part of growing up and becoming a man is dealing with the consequences of your actions. Time to man up. I made it all the way through school without getting drunk and threatening women...most students do, too.

fssca51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  16. sctrojan2006

Oct 8, 2018
    BooHoo the football season isn't going to go as well, because the school suspended a player form the team. Give me a break. The guy screwed up, hold him accountable. He violated the Student Code of Conduct. No one said he violated the law.

fssca51, PacTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.
  17. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Is this a surprise to anyone? This is the same university which publicly apologized because a professor hurt the students' feelings. What did he say which was so hurtful?? "Accusers sometimes lie." He should be hung for such heresy.

His entire quote was "f the day comes you are accused of some crime or tort of which you are not guilty, and you find your peers automatically believing your accuser, I expect you find yourself a stronger proponent of due process than you are now. Accusers sometimes lie." The dean responded by saying "What [Professor Moore] sent was extremely inappropriate, hurtful, and insensitive. We are going to try to do everything we can to try to create a better school, to educate the faulty."

USC is now a full-fledged politically correct bastion of academia. Long gone are the days of sharpening a student's mind by allowing the student to see two sides of an issue and formulate an objective response to the argument. Emotion has replaced reason. Feelings have replaced facts. USC is becoming Berkeley.

Trojan12, GLA4USC, Carlsport and 9 others like this.
  18. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Wow.... im sure they won’t lose any sleep over that

fssca51 likes this.
  19. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I actually doubt he even violated the Code. And, why are you OK with the Conduct office screwing with our scholarships and roster like this? They took it out of Hellton's hands and told him to shut up about it while they royally screwed his player. If Hellton did have a say he would have suspended Bolden temporarily and made him do other penance to learn a lesson. He was even still going to class and they laid that effort to waste. I won't lift a finger to defend the University if he sued them. Student Conduct is out of control and cost the program a player and a schollie. Sadistic crap!