Brice Young article from Bama friend

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TroyBill, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Brice Young article from Bama friend
    TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    A retired Army pal of mine who is a Bama alum sent me this article this morning on Brice. It is a good article. Sark who we fired convinced him to come to Bama. After reading the article I told my friend that we have a wet mess over here and that we are around 80th in recruiting. This is unheard of in modern USC history from what I can see. I am not optimistic about the future as long as Helton is here and that the odds are is that we will get embarrassed again at Jerry's place next September. I am sorry, but I have grown very tired of not owning up to the realities of what is happening here by some of our sunshine pumpers. It seems most of top recruits get what is going here and are avoiding this place like the plague. If Helton, by an act of God, manages to get this team together then I will be more than happy to have a second helping of crow.

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/a-father-s-perspective-alabama-gains-a-winner-in-bryce-young

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 24, 2019
    Hope he makes the nfl. I'm sure he will. But if he doesn't, there will be a job for him at the Kia dealership in Tuscaloosa.

VM805, AZUSCfan, TroyBill and 2 others like this.
  3. louiebag85

louiebag85 Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    What caught my attention was that Bryce stated in the past that USC did nothing wrong and he just built a better relationship with Sark. Thats bullshit his dad just stated in that article that his son wants to play for a national championship which means the kid is chasing a ring (nothing wrong with that) that just means USC is nowhere near to competing for a chip therefore recruits will go elsewhere.

gubo&palanka and TroyBill like this.
  4. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Kid is too small. 5-10 170....not many Russel Wilsons ut there

5. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Drew Brees?

6. STRECKERmemo

STRECKERmemo Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    I don't know if Bryce will have to resort on a job at Kia, but the Tide's record academically appears to be heading in same direction as their powerhouse football program is heading. Wish SC's program could hold a candlestick to them on the gridiron. Well guess we'll all see the first game of the season next year.
    https://www.ua.edu/news/2019/11/crimson-tide-football-earns-2019-afca-academic-achievement-award/

7. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    It was God that pointed him to Bama. Lol

8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 24, 2019
    I cannot put all too much weight on anything other than JT going down and slovis stepping up. He was willing to sit one year behind JT but no two years after slovis stepped up. He made the choice to start right away instead of waiting for two years.

9. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    I'm very interested to watch him at the next level. We've all seen how some of these highly ranked HS QBs struggle to transition to the top level of D-1. Like many before him, he basically played on a high school All Star team at Mater Dei.
    No doubt he has a strong arm with very good accuracy. But, his footwork often looked off when I watched him play the past few years - often throwing off his back foot. Time will tell.

10. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    I get it that kinda sorta feels better than the truth, which is that as long as Clay Helton is Head Coach you don't come to USC if you actually would like to play for the National Championship. It sucks and it hurts . I know - but that's just the truth.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Exception not the rule.....besides Brees is 6-1 210.

12. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I do not doubt he Helton drama had him second-guessing his commitment, but the way Slovis stepped up and performed was the nail in the coffin that most likely sealed his decision to decommit.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Very few players will ever get the chance to play for a NC. You may strive for it, but it is still not a foregone conclusion. In the end, SC still offers a lot to any recruit, both academically and professionally. Although I despise CH and want him removed, he sure didn’t stop Pittman, Darnold, adore, ju ju, nwosu, Ronald Jones et al., from all playing and succeeding in the NFL. It comes down to the player. If you’ve got it, you’ve got it. And if Bryce Young or any other recruit wants to place their trust in a drunk...well, good luck.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Well, I think they're placing their trust in Nick Saban, to be fair. He's placing his trust in Cutty Sark. Will it work? Well, it worked better than I hoped it could with Kiffie, so who knows?

And I wouldn't dispute USC still has a lot to offer. But the reality is that many young players today want a chance to win a National Championship, a chance to play for a National Championship, or at least be in contention to play for a National Championship.

And pretending that's not true or still doesn't make a difference in recruiting ensures the likelihood of more seasons where none of the top 25 players in California choose to pursue their education and play football at USC, unfortunately.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    You make a good point - if JT was in his junior year next season then Bryce might have only had a year to wait (unless he felt he could beat out JT ). But the development of Kedon may have caused Bryce to look elsewhere given the fact that Kedon has two more years and is the incumbent starter at this point in time who has put up some good numbers for USC at the QB position.

Alabama already has a capable starter in Jones and there is an outside chance that Tua may be forced to come back to Bama if his recovery from his surgery leads to lingering issues that might affect his draft status. So it may not be a sure thing that Bryce Young will be the starter for Bama against the Trojans in August 2020.

Interesting to see how things work out for BY at Bama.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Im hoping BY is the starter come September....Drake Jackson can knock him silly......

gubo&palanka likes this.
  17. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Dec 24, 2019
    If he is counting on Sark lol .... good freaking luck with that qb killer

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Dec 25, 2019
    There's a difference between battling against two underclassmen who have both been full-season starters at a Power 5 program, and battling against two upperclassmen, one of which is expected to go pro and the other has just a few starts under his belt.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 25, 2019
    We will lose to them, no doubt.

As for the academics: please, spare me. There was no where for them to go but up.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  20. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 25, 2019
    I think I made an error... I was assuming Tua was going NFL next year. Is he not eligible or do you think maybe he needs to heal a year first? Well in any event Slovis becoming a three year starter probably helped him along with the additional help from Sark.