Bonfire of cash on campus

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by AtownSC, Nov 13, 2018.

1. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Could you imagine Clay all messed up from a motorcycle accident?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  2. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    If people are going to use the Rose Bowl season to justify Helton staying - it's important to point out that before the CFP, that season never would have resulted in a Rose Bowl appearance. Going 9-3 and not winning your conference didn't get you there under the BCS (unless the conference champ was in the title game which they wouldn't have been) and certainly not before the BCS.

The problem is that looking at Helton's overall tenure, the 9 game winning streak to end that season looks like an aberration. We got hot behind great QB play, and the schedule aside from the UW and PSU games was pretty soft. Even the Rose Bowl showed a lot of flaws, evident by the fact that Penn State scored touchdowns on 7 straight drives. Before that run, Helton was 6-7 as USC coach and had lost 5 straight games against P5 competition. Since then, we had an uninspiring 2017 campaign where yes, we won the conference when the competition was abysmal, but we also got humiliated twice against top OOC competition, dropped a game to an inferior WSU squad, were one play away from losing in two more games at home against 7-6 teams, and just generally looked lackluster in most other games with a couple exceptions. That brings us to this year, where we will be fortunate to finish 6-6. This has been a downward trajectory since the end of the 2016 season, and Helton has done nothing before or since he's been USC's head coach to inspire confidence in his ability to fix it.

3. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    No. Not close to true.

I get the Kiffin hire. He had a promising first year at Tennessee, and he'd bring O and his father (back when that was still seen as a plus). And with Pete leaving so late and the NCAA thing hanging over our heads, I can understand the hire. I didn't love it, but I understood it.

But the next two? Inexcusable. Even putting aside the alcohol thing -- which some due diligence probably should have picked up -- Sark was a lousy candidate. The guy was one season from being fired by Washington. You don't get the Seven-Win Sark name for nothing. His teams were soft and undisciplined. No other top 20 program would have considered hiring Sark. It was a stupid, inexcusable hire.

Helton was also a terrible hire. Again, this is a guy who would not have been considered by any other major program. He was a career assistant who -- unlike a, say, Dave Aranda -- had nothing in his background to suggest he was even a good coordinator. The offense under Sark wasn't any good, and Helton wasn't really the OC anyway; Sark was. Hiring an insider from two failed regimes? That's just dumb.

But if you thought those two hires were good, you should love the next one. Yes, USC will probably screw it up completely, but that apparently won't stop you from cheering.

4. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Going back in time to just last winter....on this and most of the other boards there was almost universal support for Helton except for just a few of us. Anyone questioning his greatness was trolled off almost immediately. So......being the political animals that most administrators are, an extension locking up this coach early for a low annual price could have seemed just the thing to do. It would also explain the arrogance of several of Helton's moves this year. If they fire me I get big bucks and move to the south as a country gentleman. Them Yankee dollars go a long way in the south.
    Does this excuse the extension......not for people that know football. He was a bad offensive coordinator and that no practice bowl prep got those of us that are students of the game feeling very uneasy very early.

gubo&palanka and Merlin4SC like this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Clay knew how to brown nose Max, ‘ Coach Max ‘ ! It worked into a uncalled for extension. Makes me sick

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. listen2menow&hearmelater

listen2menow&hearmelater Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Yahoo has this wrong on at least three major points:

1) Buyouts are almost never for the full contract amount. If CCH's total contract is $15 million-ish, then his buyout is likely around half of that if for cause, such as lack of performance.

Further, buyouts are rarely due all at once, but rather are usually spread over the remaining life of the contract. And any football-related income earned by CCH would offset the amount payable.

2) Assuming CCH were to remain and performance continues to suffer, what impact does that have on attendance? Even at -10k for six home games, and with a very conservative average of $50 per person (tickets, concessions, etc.), that's $3 million right there. You all can do the math at -15K or -20K.

This doesn't even factor in lost revenue from disinterested sponsors and such.

3) One only needs to look across town to see that buyouts and big, new coaching contracts are often independent of revenue. Frequently, big donors step up to either foot the bill or provide a guarantee, if we revenue does not increase under a new coach.

The bottom line is that if USC wants a coaching change, it has the financial wherewithal to do it.

7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    This was not because we thought he was a great coach. We didn’t know if he had the right stuff or not, he had no HC experience to look at.

At the beginning, most of us did not want the hire, but threw our support behind him after he was named HC because we are USC fans, we knew he was going to be our HC for at least the next 3 years, and we genuinely wanted him to be successful. We saw nothing to be gained by pessimism, justified or not. I for one was not going to spend the next 3 years mumbling “woe is me”.

Some refused to even give Helton a chance and wanted him fired after the Alabama game (if not before that), a gross mismatch that anyone who knows anything about football could see a rout coming regardless of who was the HC.

It was these kinds of unrealistic expectations that most were critical of, along with the unwillingness by some to occasionally mix in even one comment of credit among their incessant criticism.

travyav and PickSicx like this.
  8. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    So....let’s start the “GoFundMe” now!! ...so we can have enough money to buy Uncle Clay out after the ND game!!

I’ll put in $30k, the amount that Haden’s wonderful renovation wanted me to donate to keep my faculty (40 yard line) season tickets!!

9. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I thought Sark was the guy we wanted to hire when Pete left, but he wasn't available then having taken the Washington job the year before. So after Kiffin we tried to do a "do-over". It was too late. That ship had sailed.

The real story is that trying to get either Kiffin or Sark to carry on what Pete was doing was doomed to failure because there is only one "Pete". Whatever magic Pete had working could not be duplicated by his assistants.

10. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    excuses excuses

11. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    AND, this moment was about as good as it will ever get for coach Hellton. Also reminds us how special Sam was and I was hurt but could not blame him for leaving early. He truly should have won the Heisman that next year. and now,.....

12. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    I could say the same thing for you

13. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    And a really, stupendously terrible decision by the PSU QB.

gubo&palanka and yah20002 like this.
  14. SouthbayTrojan91

Nov 13, 2018
    Agree completely with this post.
    Kiffin looked like a good hire....and to be fair, he did a really good job navigating us through the sanctions. In fact, if he had let go of his dad 2 seasons prior to getting canned, he may still be here.

The other hire are just as Arhedge posted. DUMB and LAZY.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. SouthbayTrojan91

Nov 13, 2018
    As in the bowl against Wisconsin. I was on Helton 15 minutes after he took the job...but as you stated that did not go over well on this board so I focused most of my criticism on Tee....who is even worse than Helton.

16. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    It depends on the contract. USC was 100% on the hook for all of Lane's contract. I'd argue that in most contracts that is the case. Helton did not have any leverage since nobody in their right minds would hire him away from USC. Swann could have gotten away with putting in contract wording that states the contract buyout is less than the full amount of Clay's salary over the next 5 years. That does not mean he did however.

We're all guessing at this point.

17. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    The trend is for large buyouts but it is a relatively new phenomenon, as in the last couple of years. Chris Petersen doesn't have a buyout as of his new contract in 2017, Jimbo Fisher had a huge buyout(Fla St) as did Kevin Sumlin, both weren't 100% but close. Most second tier coaches have minimal buyouts like Bret Bielema and Butch Davis, recent fires. Here is a list that is scary for us https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/3/17933370/college-coach-buyouts-2018-ranking

18. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but my gut tells me John Harbaugh is going to get fired in Baltimore and USC is going to finally do the right thing and INVEST in a top flight coach and make it happen. We shall see.

19. SCisBack

SCisBack Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Wrong. JuJu was in on the last drive. On the TD pass to Deontay, JuJu was also wide open on a drag route to the left sideline. He might’ve scored had Sam thrown it to him (or it would’ve been a big gain). Adorree’ Was the guy who was injured in that second half.

20. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    We've been through this before. Haden decided to give Kiffin another year after going 7-5. His reasoning was maybe the bad season was only a fluke. He only lasted a few games the next year. I see the same scenario unfolding with Helton, so he needs to go.