Bleacher Report story on Bru McCoy

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 10, 2020.

2. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Wow. That is a REALLY good article. He seems like a really great person, son, brother, friend, teammate.

He is already one of my favorites after reading this!

3. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Great story. Fight On !!

4. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Always assumed "Bru" was short for Bruce or some other family related name. Being short for "Bruiser" is great.

mvpreed2 and Jose like this.
  5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    A good example of why we should be careful not to judge or jump to conclusions about a player when we know nothing about their situation beyond what we can see.

Fight on Bru, look forward to seeing you break out this season!

6. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Gotta admit, I cringed and held my breath when I clicked the link....somewhat expecting a hugely negative legal issue.

Instincts ingrained from recent years, I guess .

Glad I was wrong!

7. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    they never say what they think he had after all that testing?

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    They are completely at a loss. They tested for everything the knew to test for and couldn’t figure out what was causing it. Scary for Bru and family.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  9. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 11, 2020
    I guess Bruiser is better than Horace III....

Lol...

Great article, cant wait to see what its all about....

Man, a part of me says he could be a lights out LB as well.....or a missile like safety.....

10. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    ...finding out, the day after he enrolled in classes, that Trojan offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury was leaving to coach the Arizona Cardinals, was jarring. Suddenly everything felt thrown off track. "I felt betrayed," Bru says.
    Kliff Kingsbury...the gift that keeps on giving...

"...the thing that was wrong with Texas was that it wasn't USC."
    Sounds like a born Trojan

"You have to be the quiet in the storm," Horace Sr. told him. "There can be a whole storm raging around you. Your team is losing. Everyone is upset with you. But you have to be quiet. Quietness will get you to where you want to be...Getting upset doesn't get you to where you want to be," Horace Sr. continued. "When chaos is raging around you, that's when it's time to get quiet, to listen and to think. Just be the quiet in the storm," he said, smiling. "Quiet in the storm."
    No wonder they like Clay Helton. Very similar philosophy.

11. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    Sounded like a gnarly cross between mono and COVID-19.

12. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    Great article about the real Bru...
    I’m excited to see him back on the field. Success in life is already achieved.

13. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    Bru had arrived at USC in good shape but began to feel beyond drained after every workout. Then he began sweating uncontrollably. After one workout, a trainer took his temperature. He had a 101-degree fever. The next couple of days: 102, 101, 101.

He didn't understand what was happening. At first, he was diagnosed with strep throat, but the fevers grew inconsistent. Then he started losing weight and couldn't sleep much. He would sweat so profusely in his sleep that he'd have to flip over his mattress each day.

Google:

Babesia = Trouble Sleeping, Night Sweats, Fever, Anxiety

Lyme Disease= Fatigue, Wt loss, feeling of being unwell

"When he says I thought I was going to Die" Man talk about Key words. Almost everyone I've spoken to who described their LD condition used these exact words.

I would be curious to know if Bru had wandering joint pains, symptoms that come and go (good days, bad days), Taking medication made symptoms worse before getting better, pain in the Bottom of his feet, dizziness, balance issues, air hunger, pain in the rib area, vision changes or ringing in the ears, unusual Anxiety, trouble Sleeping, Pain in his jaw. Although he has improved. Is he still having some residual symptoms Neurological in nature like tinnitus or joint pains ? many do.

I'm not a doctor. This is in no way a diagnosis. He would have to discuss that with his physician but I have volunteered to help people with Lyme Disease over the last 5 years.

In my experience many California doctors are just not that skilled at Diagnosing or treating LD. Especially if he had an HMO doctor. No offense if you are an HMO doctor. He would have to go to someone who specialized in treating it. The tests at the local labs can give a false negative (per Richard Horowitz, M.D). Which is how he may have ended up with. "We just don't know". Something chronic LD sufferers are very used to hearing.

Just Curious. I would like to hear from anyone with chronic Lyme Disease to see if these symptoms sound familiar.

BTW: Anyone from the McCoy family or anyone with LD isssues can PM me if they have any questions.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    earlandnic and AMLTrojan like this.
  14. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 11, 2020
    I honestly thought Bru was his name, like how some people are named Bo or Beau?

On a serious note, the notion of adults (men typically) judging and throwing negative comments/threats to someone that isn't even allowed to drink alcohol yet continues to prove to me that we as a people are WAY behind the 8-ball when it comes to ethics/values/morals to be brave enough to tell a child's parents that you hope he dies?
    I would try to find and kill anyone that would be brave (and crazy) enough to say that to me about my son or daughter!

AMLTrojan likes this.
  15. Cardinal&Gold

Jun 11, 2020
    Now that Bru has forgiven Klif. Do we have to take down the Klif Kingsbury is an A$$hole thread?

16. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jun 12, 2020
    I feel the same way! What a great kid with a great family. He’s going to be a special player for SC and an even more special person for humanity- another Troy P.

When I see Bru’s pic, I can’t help but see a US Marine Corps advertisement- The Few, The Proud. Doesn’t he look like the perfect casting for the next USMC poster? Semper Fight On Bru!

I love the fact he rides his bike around the hills of Palos Verdes. When I was hardcore into cycling, I would ride 50-60 miles around the peninsula, trying to find the steepest, longest climbs. It would be something to see him out on a ride. Ride On Bru!

As much as I think Clay Helton is not the right coach for SC, that we can do much better with someone with real coaching skills, I have to give him his due here. When Bru was going through the tough times, Helton says to him, “Bru, I don't care if you ever play a snap again. I just want you to be happy.” As much as we love SC football, it is the right perspective. Fight On Trojans!

DaFireMedic likes this.
  17. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yeah, CCH handled the Bru situation with so much class, it made it easy for Bru to change his mind and come home to USC...

All's well that ends well...

DaFireMedic, earlandnic and AMLTrojan like this.
  18. Cardinal&Gold

Jun 12, 2020
    He didn't have to explain himself but I'm sure glad he did. I admire that he took responsibility for his actions. He understood the situation perfectly and handled it well. He made a decisive unpopular decision to leave Texas to correct this mistake and move on. People get home sick man it happens. It's nobody's fault.

I don't know anything about his football skill level but he has my respect.

19. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Good read.

let’s kick some ass Bru and make the haters believers .

Fight On