BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU ASK FOR

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 2blkk, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Situational Mastery

Situational Mastery Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    I'll take my chances with a coach like Meyer with his 3 National Championships, who has only lost more than 3 games in a season once, developed countless NFL starters, and who has a career record of 187-39 (his last stint going 83-9).

Sorry.

Coeur and Kaptain Karl like this.
  2. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    This board (and most USC boards lately) have completely lost all perspective on the process and desired qualities USC needs for a head coach not only for today but a couple years down the road towards a championship run (you’re completely delusional if you think a new coach is going to mean a n immediate championship run). A couple years ago it was all about how UCLA did what USC should have by breaking the bank to get Kelly, then this season it has been everyone from Tedford to Whittingham and now dropping down to opposing DC’s. At least a DC might be more like what USC would be willing/could afford to go after, but most will undoubtedly be upset by the time the board comes up with its candidates. This is becoming nauseating.

3. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    People complaing about money at usc disgusts me. We can pay anybody, anything we want and it won’t hurt a thing.
    We just spent nearly a half billion on the coli reno, we raised something like 6 or 7 billion in a fundraiser recently, right?
    They charge students like 50k a year to go and grad students even more. I paid 400k for my 4 years of dental school, on top of performing about $500 in procedures that the school collected on each day in clinic.
    The fact that money is even spoken of is a joke. 20 damn dental students each year and 100 undergrad students tuition combined will pay urban Meyers entire 7 million salary. The school makes 100s of millions, possibly a billion a year on tuition and other fees alone. The school maintainence, insurance, employees and everything else cost a fragment a billion. I’m too lazy to do the math on it all but the university has more money than it knows what to do with. Pay a great coach, and the school will make the money back in the blink of an eye. The coliseum being sold out will be a nice start. Ask how nice ticket and merchandise sales were under Pete, and even Kiff.

Cyrus likes this.
  4. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    The X-factor is that the BOT is very stingy (or rather cheap) with their money.

They have no problem giving Folt $35k a month to live in Santa Monica though.

5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019

People being stingy with respect to paying a top coach doesn’t “disgust me”....I just don’t see why fans/alums worry about it, though. The school blows far, far more money on other stuff. A top football program brings money BACK IN.

BTW, I paid $30k TOTAL for my 4 years of USC dental school.....guess I’m older, lol. Yikes!

6. norcalsurfer

Sep 30, 2019
    damn inflation/tuition raises.

By the way did you ever hear about the dentist with $1 million in debt?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-meru-has-1-million-in-student-loans-how-did-that-happen-1527252975

7. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
  8. funnycide

funnycide Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    I think people forget that Ohio State went 6-7 before Urban Meyer took over. 6-7!!!! He immediately turned the program around with an undefeated 12-0 record. That's simply incredible.

Does anyone seriously believe Matt Campbell could do that? Or even Jack Del Rio? Kris Richards? Mike Leach? Get out of here!

Hiring Urban Meyer is the closest thing to a guarantee we will ever find. Settling for anyone else would be settling for incompetence in comparison.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  9. norcalsurfer

Sep 30, 2019
    the dentist is an idiot by paying the bare minimum. He is a recent grad so his interest rate is probably 6-7.9%.

Being stubborn to only work in one of the most saturated markets didn't help him either. I make more working an hour outside of a metro area.

10. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    And he did it with a team that was on sanctions.....