Athletic Dept “swamp”...I want names!

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by USCDDS, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Athletic Dept “swamp”...I want names!
    USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I’ve heard Petros and a few other SC reporters with “insider” information consistently refer to the “swamp” that is the USC Athletic adept. Petros goes so far as to say these are the shit callers to blame for the past 15+ years of calamity. On today’s radio show he referred to someone that “been around 60+ years” and another person “who has a sin on the football staff”...

Do any regulars on here know who Petros is referring to??!! I looked up the Athletic Dept. directory and the only name I recognized from the Pete Carrol dats was Steve Lopes....

2. SC ForLife

SC ForLife Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I want to know why Bohn didn’t clean house in his own department

Fertig to Sherman likes this.
  3. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Petros is getting a bit creative.

The simple, less nefarious, truth is USC is no longer a football centric institution. The vast majority of non-Boomer alumni and current students are happy winning 7 to 10 games and going to some bowl. We get a skewed sense of reality with the die hard fans on these message boards.

I pine for the days when USC absolutely dominates on the field and scares people. So do all of you. But most Trojan football fans don't see that as a must.

The result is big name coaches would rather go elsewhere to be the power center and call the shots. And keeping Clay becomes the default, lazy fallback, for USC.

flyfishintrojan likes this.
  4. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Tess-alone is part of the inside circle of corruption. He’s definitely one if the main culprits Petros is referring to.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  5. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I know a few reporters on TOS, and Petros, say this. But trust me, flaks don't have that type of power. If Bohn could have closed a deal, we'd have a new coach. I'm surprised Bohn wasn't willing to bite the bullet, fire Clay, and let the chips fall where they may in terms of a replacement.

But he wasn't. Perhaps Folt pressured him to make a decision. But she is the Prez.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  6. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Not sure if you’ve read my past posts, but I essentially say pretty much the exact same things. Bohn proved to be a liar and inept at hiring a coach, all at t same time. Folt has him by the nuts

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  7. trojan9999

trojan9999 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    We've seen this before. USC shoots itself in the foot and has several down years, then people like you cite some made-up wisdom and claim USC's days of football glory are behind it because of (insert convenient theory). Then, the school eventually hires the right guy (despite their best attempt to do otherwise), and like magic, things start firing on all cylinders and becomes dominant again. That's what's going on here. Let's see how often the fools in charge trip over themselves before they accidentally strike gold. Nobody cares what some foreign students think about USC football. The market is super-fertile with talent, with a hungry, very large audience.

8. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    August West said it. Tessalone, Orr (I do love SWM though), and Lopes need to go. And Caruso, yeah, that just goes without saying! While we're at it we might as well include two of my least favorite people on campus in the house cleaning as well: Gretchen Means and Michael Blanton.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This is false. In the last 50 years, USC has hired the right guy, exactly one time.

And that ended up kind of biting us in the ass

10. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Thats true, Smith was the best “hire”, obviously not the best coach.
    It’s amazing to think, SC in it’s entire history has only hired one coach that turned out to be what they thought he’d be.....Howard Jones.
    All others were unknowns or didn’t pan out.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  11. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This is as true as truth can be.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  12. Rhyno

Rhyno Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Just compiling from above

Tim Tessalone
    Sports Information Director
    tessalon@usc.edu
    phone 213 740-8480

Ron Orr
    Senior Associate Athletic Director
    rorr@usc.edu
    213 740-4161

Steve Lopes
    Senior Associate Athletic Director (COO / CFO)
    slopes@usc.edu
    213 740-4158

Rick Caruso
    BoT Chair
    botchair@usc.edu

Gretchen Means
    Title IX Coordinator
    dahlinge@usc.edu
    213 740-5086

Michael Blanton
    https://about.usc.edu/senior-staff/michael-blanton/

Adding
    Carol Folt
    (213) 740-2111
    president@usc.edu

Mike Bohn

Clay Helton
    213 821-7375

13. Class of 81

Class of 81 Active Member

Dec 5, 2019
    St. Clay Helton has been part of the USC Athletic Department for 10 years. It's hard to imagine that he didn't know that Donna Heinel and others were taking bribes for admission to the school. The football team was involved in some of the cases.

If Folt and Bohn were truly here to clean house, Clay would be gone.

reaLchaZZZy likes this.
  14. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Twice

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    If we could start there, it would be nirvana. I am still in shock really, that the only person who seems to have been held responsible AT ALL regarding the admissions scandal is Swann. And even then it was only a suggestion, never an outright accounting. The level of corruption and fraud that went on for years is astounding. I don't believe for one minute that Heinel was the all-powerful queen of fake admissions. Way too many people would have to be required. Plausible deniability was seriously in play. Lopes and Orr are right in the middle IYAM. Swim With Mike is a great thing but it's not enough to excuse the internal nepotism that has gone on for way too long.

big_pete, PickSicx and RPBSC like this.
  16. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Dec 5, 2019
    And just think, once we finally rid ourselves of Big Lopes we'll have Little Lopes waiting there in the wings perfectly positioned to take over for Daddy. Just business as usual in the administrative offices of USC.