Article on Helton Says Assistants Were His Hires

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 1stNGoalSC, Feb 18, 2020.

1. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    There was no way for any of those coaches to succeed in Clay’s program - impossible.

Until we are rid of the softness that Clay has built his system around, no one will.

And how long will that take, especially with him still here?

I hope the process has somehow begun with the new assistants, but unfortunately, I’m not certain it has; we won’t know until we see it.

And even once it has begun, (which it should in earnest not this bandaid attempt), it is going to take a while to undue the great damage he has done. A fricking foundation of softness built over years is what we have right now.

I honestly used to be so positive. Even during the 90’s when we were say 4-3 at some point, I would still be selling RB and NC hopes/scenarios to anyone who would listen; I have friends who remind me of that to this day. But, fricking Max, now Rick and his cast of clowns, and finally this SOB Helton have just sucked the life out of me.

Sorry brothers for being the downer.

FTFO!

2. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Right on. Exactly. When Claydodo came on as coach, I wanted him to succeed. He’s BS’d the fan base one too many times. He’s a cancer and until he is gone, the team will underperform.

3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    More son of a OL Coach bs. Time to prove it .

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I feel for you guys. I’ve seen enough hardship in the past 28 years to know that maintaining low expectations doesn’t ever make you feel better. Anything can happen. I wouldn’t even be on this board if I thought Helton and the rest of the coaches couldn’t get this team back on top. What would the point be? Helton, Bohn, Folt... none of them read this board. Folks can blast me if they want but I wouldn’t spend a dime or minute of my time on this program if I truly believed what many of you believe. Nothing lasts forever...good or bad. I wouldn’t classify myself as a sunshine pumper...but more so someone who would rather see the positive and the negative and call things the way they are. Give credit where it’s due and critique where it’s deserved. Fight on my Trojan brothers and sisters.

SC ForLife, Sam Bam, bell and 2 others like this.
  5. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Yeah, sure. And Kendall Jenner can’t live without me.

gubo&palanka and ConquerorSC like this.
  6. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Lol @ Clay, "I know talent when I see it."

That's right, Clay - you see it every Saturday - on the opposite sideline from you.

7. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 19, 2020

trojanworld and ConquerorSC like this.
  8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 19, 2020

Well said!

ConquerorSC likes this.
  9. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I was one of the happy campers when Clancy came back. I’m also one that was beating the drum to get rid of Calloway long before they did. We don’t know for sure, but Clancy biggest problem was tackling and physical play on the D line. Last season I guess I should add contain football on the edge.

With that said, if Clay is setting the tone for the level of physical play during practice, then you can’t pin that on Clancy when his defense is in position to make a play and blows it with a missed tackle, or a D line player getting pushed back off the line of scrimmage every run play. Contain the edge is on Clancy, but the lack of physical play is due to soft practices in my opinion, and whoever is in charge of that decision is the one to blame.

10. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Because we all know that Helton never makes shit up and never blatantly lies....

ConquerorSC likes this.
  11. trojanworld

trojanworld Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Alabama, will put an end to our misery .

12. AZUSCfan

AZUSCfan Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Helton is the Head Spin master....of course he would say this. Guy will say anything to make himself look good. Guy is a total POS who will do and say anything to keep his job and make him look like he's doing the right thing.

13. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Just ask yourselves 1 thing: "Would Saban/Urb/Dabo, etc. say any of the things Clay says? Would they spin the obvious propaganda that nobody is buying the way Clay does?"

Answer: Not in a million years! You know incompetence when you see it, You know when someone is in over their head and spinning. You know BS talk when you hear it.

Winning coaches don't say these things. Not even Mora would say these things, because he had ego and at least knew what good fb looked like (even if he was unable to produce it).

There's something called dignity, that supersedes money. Helton has none left.

14. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Disagree regarding Clancy. As a coach that's not coaching for your alma mater, you're a brand. You're only as good as your latest reputation (see Wilcox). You can't continue to coach for a HC whose principles/ethos/style doesn't align with yours, or prevents you from being successful. If you do, you've sold-out. Either you have no other options, need the money or have deluded yourself into thinking you alone can turn things around (when the last 3 seasons have told you otherwise). Any of those cases means Clancy is a compromised coach.

I believe Drevno is on the verge of being this. He went from physical fb at Stanford, then followed Harbaugh, but his brand has taken a serious hit these last couple seasons. If he can't get from under this underperforming/non-physical OL play, he too will be another Helton Casualty.

Harrel's offense is soft by design, so he'll be fine as long as Slovis keeps producing. If we're back to Fink midway this season, Harrel will be gone.

Ccoralles and ConquerorSC like this.
  15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I give Drevno two more seasons to make my judgment. Remember, last season was his first as the OL coach.

16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    1.5 seasons no? I thought Callaway was relieved midway through '18?

Drevno was also the RB's coach prior. No respectable RB coach would sit back and let Callaway/Helton do what they did. It was downright criminal and cringe-worthy.

17. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I imagine Drevno was more concerned about how his RBs were training. Rojo3 had a great season in 2017 with Drevno as RB coach. I don't know if the OL has performed better since he took over, but we didn't see the lazy snaps and fumbles from the OL this past season. They also didn't have as many penalties from what I could tell. Here's some interesting info on the past four seasons though:

2016 -
    USC had 26 sacks
    Opponents had only 12 sacks for 80 yards

2017 -
    USC had 46 sacks
    Opponents had 30 sacks for 217 yards - what changed for this number to almost triple?

2018 -
    USC had 35 sacks
    Opponents had 28 sacks for 192 yards

2019 -
    USC had 29 sacks
    Opponents had 27 sacks for 196 yards

Our opponent numbers should not be more than 20 sacks. It doesn't look like Drevno had significant impact on the blocking efficiency.

18. Coto Trojan 43

Coto Trojan 43 Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    It was be interesting to see how often we were passing in each of the year's listed. It did seem that we threw a lot more last year leading to more opportunities for sacks.