Article on Helton Says Assistants Were His Hires

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 1stNGoalSC, Feb 18, 2020.

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Oh man, let the games begin...

DaFireMedic likes this.
  3. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I suppose the part I have the biggest problem with is where he makes the comment about Orlando..."I know talent when I see it." Now, I'm not a big Helton critic...in fact, I like the guy more than most...but, if you know coaching talent, why did you hire many of the assistants you hired? Tell us why you failed to identify coaching talent in Callaway or Martin or Pendergast or Baxter? I mean even if those guys had been talented at one point, you kept them far beyond their shelf life. I do have to hold you accountable for that part. I applaud you Clay Helton for your resilience and as some call you "Mr. Fight," you do have a lot of fight in you and I hope for your sake and the "fans' passion" that you are successful this season and beyond.

4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Lol....

ConquerorSC likes this.
  5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I seem to remember quite a lot of us crossing our fingers hoping the Pendergast was coming. I feel if you objectively look at their resumes they appear to be good hires. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Wilcox is a prime example. Helton’s issue, in my opinion, is he holds on too long.

6. DaFireMedic

Feb 18, 2020
    Callaway and Pendergast both had previous success. The problem is that Helton kept them on far too long after it was apparent that they weren’t producing the results. Tee Martin was given a shot, but was also kept on too long.

7. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Agree. I remember vividly the applause upon hiring Clancy for his second term at SC...same went for Baxter. Most everyone wanted to keep Tee at any cost due to his recruiting prowess and the fact he was being wooed by other programs. Drevno was considered a great hire. McCullough was a home run hire but he left for the NFL. The jury was out on BKU when we brought him in, because he didn't have the experience. Colbert was a great choice to replace Tee at WRs. I thought Burns was a great choice to replace Bradford, who most scratched their heads about hiring. I just have never bought the narrative that Clay Helton had no coaching contacts and nobody in his rolodex except family members or FOKs (Friends of Kim) to call upon for assistant jobs. The most interesting thing is how close we were to having Aranda as the DC. Damn you Baylor Bears.

Trojanfan562 likes this.
  8. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Man, that WOULD have been awesome. I'm betting that puts a little fire under Orlando to perform. I bet he wasn't too thrilled reading THAT. Further proof that the program isnt as deep in the crapper as people like/want to believe. But, as Conqueror's post says, I will wait until the results on the field are in before crowing that this is a success.... probably will wait until the year after this one, to boot, since we return so much talent.

9. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
  10. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Guys, gals, & gender nonconforming people...
    E7885BA7-A67F-4C18-9DD4-6E17F2F9C72B.gif

nvargas likes this.
  11. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 18, 2020
    Aranda coming in to be DC under Helton...

LOL

Well, if he had been promised the HC job when Clay was fired mid-season, I guess it's possible.

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Hard to believe SC was going to pay 2.5M for a DC.

Helton has hired a great assistant before (Deland Mccullough) but I still doubt all the new hires (and the firings) were his ideas.

We have to see how the practices are conducted to see if the light bulb has finally gone on for Helton. Watching film on Bama is not enough to make the team ready for them.

Nobody will be happier than me if Helton turns out to be a great HC, I will gladly eat crow. But I think that ship has sailed.

13. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Yes, but Clay is putting himself front and center in taking the credit ("I know talent when I see it."), which would be strange if Bohn was the one who forced his hand.

14. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Yep, I was surprised the article indicated SC matched LSU's offer on the table. Apparently, Aranda would have come home to Socal.

15. DaFireMedic

Feb 18, 2020
    It’s not just under Helton though. USC is still USC, even though the program is down right now. I could certainly see a Dave Aranda type taking the DC job if the money was right, and I don’t think Helton would be a barrier to that at all. Aranda took the DC job under Orgeron at LSU, and Orgeron had a worse HC record than Helton at the time.

Trojanfan562 and zitorocks like this.
  16. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    The article was crap and said nothing of the current reality of USC football. It was just a big love fest from the writer.

Clay really has no clue as evident in his comments. A coach who gets it does not pump sunshine the way he does. If he hasn't learned anything up to this point in his coaching career he never will, especially this offseason as it was brutal. He's managed to make neutral fans turn against him and probably 99% of all fans.

17. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Exactly. I wonder how much $ Tessalone had to pay Dodd to write this stinking coiler. Clearly Dodd hasn't watched much SC Football in the past few seasons. But Gomer has been "a coach for 26 years" and he's had his epiphany and has it all figured out now. Sure.