Any Reason To Put Any Stock In Jerry Palms Rose Bowl Take?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Conquest4ever1981, Dec 3, 2016.

2. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    His main reasoning is that a CCG loser has never finished below another team in its conference, but we know that will already happen in the Big10.

3. TrojanMike

TrojanMike Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    To me it comes down to who is more "deserving" vs. who is the "better team" right now.

I would probably argue that CU is more deserving. Pretty simple, they went 8-1 in league and won the division outright, and their only losses are @Mich, @USC, and neutral site vs. UW - all Top 15 teams. Not that our losses are bad, though - Bama (1), @Stanford (18), @Utah (20).

USC is the better team right now, no question. We haven't lost in two months, we beat CU head-to-head (by a misleading margin of victory), and we dominated UW in Seattle - the same team that annihilated CU last night.

4. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Man, this makes me nervous though. I was a kid when a team that I saw "Rolling Back the Tide" ('78 SI cover) ended the season ranked behind Alabama in the AP poll. I have had little faith in the process ever since. I hope this committee chair (Kirby Hocut) lets reason and logic prevail. In their hearts (not their heads, mouths, or posts), even Colorado knows who really should get the invite.

I'm looking at ticket prices!

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Only SC haters will keep us out of the Rose Bowl.

6. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    From an L.A. times article:

If the committee cannot decide between the two, “that’s when we go to the protocol and the metric, being conference championships, strength of schedules, head-to-head and outcomes against common opponents.”

USC would seem to hold the edge there, but Scott Jenkins, the chairman of the Rose Bowl Management Committee, isn’t convinced.

“Unless there is a huge blowout in one of those conference championship games, I don’t think the committee wants to hurt a team for playing in them,’’ Jenkins told The Times this week. “If Colorado loses, I’d be surprised if Colorado drops much, if at all. It would be a surprise to me if USC jumps Colorado.”

7. trjnfnz

trjnfnz Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I agree....::usc has the better resume and it showed last night that the better team was not in Santa Clara. If the game competitive than perhas they have case. CU lost by 31 5 scores. Based on that and the head to head and the washington vs usc blowout USC goes to Pasadena andCu to texas. Jerry Palm knows who the best team is and if we played Stanford and Utah again they wpuld gwt blown out.

8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    No. He's just another customer who ordered the crow. Bon appétit, Jerry!

9. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Its just an opinion, and I've read many other opinions from others who are at least as qualified that project USC to pass Colorado and go to the Rose bowl.

10. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Ohhh, so now Colorado is 'punished' for having to play in the CC? Fugg me.

They bombed out bigtime. It matters.

Precedence? Oh. My. Gawd. Anybody who keeps CU in the #8 spot has no balls to be calling shots.

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Jerry's a Chicago-based blogger. I put more stock in this...

"Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, which seems likely at this point that one or more could finish in the top-four, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

It should be noted that it is the strong preference of the Tournament of Roses, Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences, that the highest-ranked available team in each conference be selected as the replacement team."
    http://www.rosebowlgame.org/single-p...ROSE-BOWL-GAME

And still, the Committee can go any way they want. USC seems to be the obvious choice but I don't trust Committees.

12. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    You should all prepare yourself for the fact UW may not finish in the top 4.
    If Clemson and PSU both win convincingly UW may be out. Actually, Clemson just has to squeak out a win. The CFP committee has shown they don't need Clemson to actually look like a good team in order to rank them high.

13. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    There is ZERO chance that UW does not finish in the Top 4. They have one loss, against a Top 10 team, and won their division convincingly. And they were already ranked in the Top 4. You can't win your conference championship game by 31 points and fall in the rankings.....just aint happening.

14. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    SC has the tridition, are on a roll, will bring in the ratings, it all equals to big revenue to the Rose bowl. If SC is left out, being SC I would hesitate ever going there if offered a bid other than a NC

15. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016

THIS. ^^^

If the committee would be reluctant to drop a team down in the polls when they LOSE their conference championship, then you certainly can't drop a team that WINS and WINS CONVINCINGLY in the same game.

If Washington is dropped it would be a travesty.

16. USCTFL

USCTFL Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    What team(s) would bring in more $ for the PAC12 and RB? Do they factor in $ ?
    USC seems obvious to me.

17. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Seriously? After watching the UW asskicking there is a good chance that Wisconsin beats Colorado by 30 as well if that was the matchup. No way the Buffs stay above USC.

18. MaxieMan98

MaxieMan98 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Im liking our chances. The Buffs were not in that game whatsoever. Its looking like roses to start the new year off!!

19. S.Rodriguez

S.Rodriguez Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    It blows my mind how dumb educated people are. This playoff committee is two years old and that may be why a team hasn't been punished for losing in their conference title game. Ohio State will make the playoff and won't be in their conference title game. USC and Michigan beat both of the teams playing in their conference title games. Scenarios are different every year is my point. That may be why no team has been punished in the rankings for losing their title game. This journalist is giving his opinion looking at 2 years of data. Throw data out and use common sense. If the college football committee does their job with any integrity there is no chance CO stays ranked in front of us.

CO will take OK ST. rankings at 10,9? and OK ST. will take our 11th rank, we will jump to 8th. Or they just swap CO and USC if they don't punish teams for losing in their conf title game. But CO will be the first team punished bc it's impossible to justify them going to the Rose Bowl over a team that beat them and the conference champion with the same record and a higher ranked schedule. Remember CO didn't play UW in the conference regular season, we did.

20. sjakek

sjakek Junior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Well, if the hack had taken 5 minutes to look at the rankings last year he'd notice his claim about not falling after losing was total crap. USC fell from 20 to 25 because of the CCG and was passed up by 9-3 Uath, so, no, don't put any stock into what he's saying because it's not rooted in fact.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings