Any reason Isaac Taylor-Stuart doesn’t play more

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by OxyTrojan, Nov 14, 2020.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    We can't see what's going on at practice but Donte Williams said just before the season started that guys weren't working at different positions. So the boundary corners (Steele and Taylor-Stuart) were only working there.

OxyTrojan likes this.
  3. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Erik, do you ever find that these coaches seem to out think themselves how to get talent in positions to succeed? I have never liked "system" coaches. Where you have to adjust the talent to fit the scheme instead of the scheme to fit the talent. Different sport but I've always been amazed that Pat Riley got to the finals with the Showtime Lakers, the low post grinding Knicks and the high screen dribble drive and outside shooting of the Heat. Three completely different systems. He always built the game plan around the talent. I realize that Riley is HOF coach and a rarity but if the talent doesn't fit the scheme then change the damn scheme.

AMLTrojan and OxyTrojan like this.
  4. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Nov 14, 2020
    ITS has been in the doghouse since his first year in the program. Bad mouth Helton and it's all over for you. The dude holds grudges. We all know he is a guy whose depth chart is often driven by loyalty and personality, not talent.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    BigDaddy and OxyTrojan like this.
  5. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 14, 2020
    I think he had surgery this off-season and possibly not 100%?

Troy70 and OxyTrojan like this.
  6. OxyTrojan

OxyTrojan Junior Member

Nov 14, 2020
    But last year ITS rotated with Steele and OG (and even a little bit in game 1). Today ITS didn’t register one defensive stat and I didn’t see #6 out there in dime packages or to give OG or Steele breathers.

7. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    Comparing college and pro is difficult because of the time limitations you have in college. It would be a tough ask to spend all spring and summer installing a defense and now try to pivot to something completely different. But it definitely feels like coaches throughout all sports at all levels are more married to their systems now and aren't looking to stray too much from the things they've spent time implementing.

You're also talking about some teams there with some of the best talent in the league during those respective years.

8. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    Taylor-Stuart played today. He came in for Steele at times. He didn't make any tackles, but he was in coverage on at least one ball thrown incoming into the endzone, and he was right there when Dorian Hewett made a tackle downfield on another play.

OxyTrojan and Troy70 like this.