Antarctica just recorded a new record temp of 65 degrees.

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by Buck Dancer, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Antarctica just recorded a new record temp of 65 degrees.
    Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Points Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Hypothetical question for the non-science folks on here.

If we:
    1. Knew the temperature of the earth was rising. AKA simple global thermometer measurements vs the hundred+ years of historical temps.
    2. Saw the ever increasing effects of that temperature rise. Melting glaciers, thawing antarctic (dude swimming in melt water lakes last week), thawing permafrost accross the globe, ocean temp increases, rising ocean waters, etc.
    3. Knew that if we lowered atmospheric CO2 and Methane (which nobody on this forum seems to question - only if man is responsible for it).

Why wouldn't you do what you can to lower methane and CO2 creation and also attempt to capture methane and CO2?

Or is everything above simply BS in your mind? Or do we cherry pick a favorable narrative? How does this work? The items I pointed out are pretty basic.

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020
    One trick philler.

This is very typical of liberals, when they can’t win on ideas, or elections, or in reality, they create these esoteric boogeymen. If it’s not global cooling warming, change, it’s racism, if not that some other blank phobia to blame the masses and distract from how well Trump is doing.

CrownoftheValley, SCBIGTIME and DJ4SC like this.
  3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Obviously Antarctica can blame Trump

4. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020
    She definitely could have turned coal into diamonds.

Kindred, SoCalN8tiv and SCBIGTIME like this.
  5. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Feb 7, 2020
    The US is already doing that. Talk to India & China. They are only beginning to emit carbon. Wait until India has as many cars per capita as we do...

How about these 3 questions:

1. Are higher temps a problem? We're talking about fractions of degrees over decades. Why isn't a bit of warming a good thing?
    2. Is it better to pretend you're preventing warming--which is impossible--or is it better to pocket the many advantages of warming while mitigating the problems?
    3. It obviously isn't a problem today--temps haven't changed much in decades--so if it every becomes an issue, why do you doubt that mankind/science/technology/corporations will solve it?
    4. Given that wealth is necessary before folks would worry about warming, is it smart to hurt the economy by grandstanding on "measures" with no actual effect?

6. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Ques. for you, do you sit to tinkle?

holt7153 likes this.
  7. Buck Dancer

Feb 7, 2020
    Here you go: (I give you 4 answers to your 3 questions)
    1. The cost of not doing anything is going to be (actually already is) massive. See CA wildfires, Russian tundra fires, and Australia wild fires aka the warming and drying of our forests. The snow pack does not hold up for as long as it used to and Australia does not receive rain like it used to. Here is an old timey hermit who measured snow for decades (40 years) as a hobby high in the Rocky Mountains. Since you guys don't trust the government - I give you a mountain hermit.
    How many 500 year floods has Houston had of late?

2. Yes higher temps are a problem see melting snow pack around the world which is used for farm water and holds off massive forest fires. Here is a Himalayan Engineer attempting a fix to a massive problem affecting multiple areas around the globe.

3. Flat out incorrect statement - we are already see affects of the higher temps around the globe. The change is rapidly increasing this year due to rapid permafrost melt and a factor which was previously hard to calculate - thinning clouds - which reflect light aka sun aka heat. Once the cloud cover thins due to higher temps you introduce a vicious cycle of additional heat hitting the earth from the sun.

4. How do you know we cannot control carbon emmissions? So if we switched to all electric cars with all renewable energy sources (or a favorite on here - nuclear) we could not lower harmful gases? IF Bill Gates Company which captures airborne carbon by the ton were to perfect their technique and scale we couldn't make a difference? It is 2020 and this is basic stuff.

8. Buck Dancer

Feb 7, 2020
    Deflect because you cannot provide answers which actually consider very basic empirical evidence. Deflect, Deny, Deflect, Deny, Rinse, Repeat. The sad thing is you probably have kids which you are basically giving the finger to.

9. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020

I don't know about you but I don't give a shit about climate as we only have 11.7 years left anyways. But I guess you're in hysterics and going to clutch your granola bar.

10. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020

Nor can you sockie.

11. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Sorry, you're wrong. The global climate changes up and down. Nothing man does affects it nor anything man can do stops it. Those are the facts.

Why all the rush to "stop" climate change? Because there's money in it.

12. KeenObserver

Feb 7, 2020
    You should vote for a candidate that is running on climate control, then.

Sorry, no changing the subject on what an awesome week America had.

13. Buck Dancer

Feb 7, 2020
    I cannot imagine being a human being and not give a fuck about the next generation. That is fucked up.

14. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020
    So that means you're pro-life now?

15. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Feb 7, 2020

I cannot imagine having to wait for my Jeep Gladiator with a 6.4 V-8 Hemi but it's coming.

16. Jim McNeil

Jim McNeil Points Member

Feb 7, 2020
    I have a hypothetical question for you. Say one day it got really really cold would you say "Hey we've reversed global warming." or "it's called weather dumbass."

17. KeenObserver

Feb 7, 2020
    LOL Nice try. You just dont get it. We are having a victory lap, we are celebrating. No Russia Russia Russia, or Ukraine or whatever bullshit you guys think will stick to the wall. Changing the subject with faux outrage will not happen today.

Besides I will bet that my carbon footprint is considerably smaller than yours.

18. Jim McNeil

Jim McNeil Points Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Says the Commie that wants to destroy our grand kids future.

TheRealAirbns, DJ4SC and SCBIGTIME like this.