Another Reason Why JT Should Not Start Next Year

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by conquest4ever81, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Trojans_Oilers

Trojans_Oilers Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    His comment about Jake’s dog rubbed me the wrong way too.
    He still has the maturity of a high school student. Hope he grows up in the offseason, this year has to be a healthy dose of reality for him.

2. TrojanDevil

TrojanDevil Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I agree Sears may be more mobile but JT is more accurate. I cant see why some people pin SC's problems on JT. The talent is there. But when you have players struggling with protecting the ball. Play calling that disrupts the flow of the offense. WR's out of position on spot routes. WR's running into each other the week after a bye. Players taking bad penalties at key points in the game. No counter adjustments in the 2nd half of games. No depth due to discipline issues and transfers. A center that cant snap the ball. While the Center that can snap is used as a situational FB. Team mates fighting on the sidelines. And no motivation what so ever. It doesn't matter if you play JT or Sears thats on Helton and the coaching staff. I can't fault the QB

3. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    JT more accurate? Are you serious? He consistently underthrows receivers making them come back and dive for receptions even if they're wide open. He still telegraphs his passes. Did you even watch Sears in the ASU game? He was quick, decisive and accurate. He was capable of being trusted with a trick play and yes very mobile thinking on his feet. He displayed leadership which is something JT has never done. A new HC will recognize this and JT will have to do his learning carrying a clipboard.

Block likes this.
  4. TrojanDevil

TrojanDevil Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    And Sears wasn't missing WR's when JT was out with concussion protocol? Like I said it doesn't matter what QB is behind center. The problem goes well beyond the QB and much further into the coaching and play calling

FIGHTON! and UscTrojanglory like this.
  5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 25, 2018
    I hope the dog pissed on his leg. The little prick. Little prick 5-7 LOSER.

6. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    What did he say about Jake’s dog?

7. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    You are a sunshine pumper...lol Just because you write that you aren't doesn't change that. I read your post before looking at your handle and had a feeling it was you.

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    The announcers said JT set a school record for most completions in a game. While many of his throws were high percentage short passes , it is still a nice accomplishment. So congrats to him.

FIGHTON! likes this.
  9. UscTrojanglory

UscTrojanglory Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Duh he’s a freshman

10. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    He has had a personal QB coach his whole life, so he has had a shload of “ coaching up.”

I am just going by what I see on the field. He cant move left or right at all in the pocket and still make a throw. Thats ok, Brees and Brady and Rivers can’t either. He cant extend plays or run for first downs. That means he needs to have a stronger arm so he can zip it in there. He throws a lot of frozen ducks and every time he throws a sideline pass I worry about a pick 6. You don’t have to blitz him, just rush 4 up the middle and his accuracy falls way off. Add a blitzer up the middle and its a sack about 50% of the time. He puts a lot of balls up for grabs deep and our guys are big enough to make the catch or at least play D to prevent a pick. Thats a risky way to play football.

He is a good college QB, but he is limited physically, and I think he can be defensed based on what he just cannot do.

11. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    All of that can be improved... just like any other position on the field can. It comes with coaching and experience (we may be lacking one of those).

JT does not have bad arm strength, but it can be stronger as he grows. He actually moves decent, WHEN he does. Most of his sacks are within 2 seconds, not much he can do when it's that quick; Michael Vick he is not.

JT is not going to run it all over the field, but he can certainly improve pocket presence and use his feet for first downs. Much of that is on play design and experience. Freshman QB, in system for 4 weeks before starting, I expected this type of thing, he is learning in real game time. What I don't like is the immediate sliding 1 yd short of first down type of shit. Dive, throw a juke, something... that has killed a few drives this season that otherwise could have resulted in points and maybe another win or two. EXPERIENCE and another year to grow is going to help him tremdously.

JT seems to (based on what most seem to say and really his play has shown) have football knowledge between the ears and the drive to learn. This will take him further than an ability to run. Talk about statues: Brady, Montana, Rivers, Marino, Breese, Aikman, Farve, etc where not running up 75-80 yds a game, but they were capable of getting 5 or 8 yds to keep a drive alive. Michael Vick was exciting to watch, but his running did not get him wins, his lack of understanding the defense and where to throw the ball was his downfall. I don't think that is JT, I think he gets it, just needs help around him.

I look at other young QBs like Fromm or Lawrence or Tua... none of those dudes are runners. HOWEVER, they are surrounded with competent coaching and great talent around them 2 or 3 deep. These teams have great OL play which allows the QB time to setup, go thru a progression. If WRs are covered, these QBs are capable of running 8 or 12 yds or more if it's there. I think JT is as well, BUT I think he got smacked around a bit, so early that his mind is not on that. He is timid, even if its subconsciously and he doesn't realize it. I think this can be improved, he didn't really have this issue at Mater Dei because he could sit back and sling it. Well, not now in this situation.

FIGHTON! likes this.
  12. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I defy any of you who claim JT is a better QB than Sears to view Daniel's best game and compare it to Sears' play in the ASU game.

13. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Wrong again Fly. Yes, he has had a bunch of coaching as a youth. He is competing in college now. It is different, more advanced. His coaching does translate at the core principles, but Being an ace in Algebra does not mean you can sit down without a teacher and pass Calculus exams. It doesn’t work that way. Bama has an oline that blows guys off the los. Their top tackle and lineman is from Folsom CALIFORNIA! Lol

Put Daniels in Tua’s spot and you would win. He would look like the next Heisnan winner beacause Bama’s offense has sucked mostly prior to Tau. They win because if Savans D and his tough ass coaching.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  14. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Yes, smiling on the sidelines when we were about to lose was also a nice accomplishment.
    Sears should have started this year.

JT Daniels is a passer but not a gamer. He's a 5 star that has been groomed with private QB coaches for most of his football life. ND's QB was a unheralded 3 star coming out of HS near Sacramento.

But did you see the grit Ian Book showed to get that 1st down run eluding Langley when game was in the balance? That is a gamer. He also threw for 352 yards and 2 TDs but it was that run play that really showed his mettle.

Yes, Book is a junior so it isn't a complete apples to apples comparison but my point in a long winded way is there is so much that goes into being a college QB at a big time school. Helton showed terrible judgement by starting Daniels as a true freshman. Daniels may have been able to pull it off if he had more athletic ability to elude the rush but he doesn't. There is an article online where Daniels was quoted in HS saying about himself that "he's slow as shit".

Daniels would have been better suited to start as a sophomore/junior by which time he could have grown into the role plus find ways to mask his deficiencies my developing other parts of his game. Helton starting Daniels was a move of desperation hoping he would save his bacon like Darnold did for 2 years.

JT smiling at the end of the game really was not a good look. It tells me he is ok with losing.

15. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    He's probably smiling because ND didn't pants him in front of the entire nation in the way we (or he) thought they would. But the fact they didn't had nothing to do with the way USC, or he, played. ND has the horses and the coaching to get that job done. For some reason it didn't happen. That's more on ND than any sort of outstanding showing by USC.

16. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I want a new HC with a good OC, and for them to implement a new offense and choose who they believe is the best of our QB’s to run it based on a QB competition going into next season.

Max Browne had it right when he said that defenses don’t fear this offense and are playing very close coverage. Even Sam struggled last year in this offense.

All of our QB’s right now are very good and would thrive in the right offense. All 3 could start at 95% of the college teams in the country. We don’t need a new QB, we need a new offense with an improved offensive line.

17. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    I have been critical of JT"s play while acknowledging that he is a very inexperienced Freshman that just arrived a few months ago (no s;ring prep) . He played his best game Sat and I am now confident he will grow even faster ......If the QB position is taken care of we will be in good shape.....BTW the OL looked better because JT was better.....Sometimes it works like that...I am looking at the situation and saying we have an improving QB an improving OL and a ton of play makers .....Our offense will be a site better next year.....!

FIGHTON! likes this.
  18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    WTF? This team is loaded with tough guys? Like who?

I struggle to name five players who I consider tough guys. Gustin, Cam, Hufanga, AE .................... I got nuthin

The Lizard King likes this.