Another game played......

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by LoyalTrojan, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Another game played......
    LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Another Chris Hawkins holding penalty. The look on Sarks face was priceless. He couldn't believe it...... Me either!

2. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Yup....he and Seymour just don't trust their athletic abilities to cover. Most of the time they get penalties, they are RIGHT THERE in coverage, with no need to hold. But they both do it time and again. The difference is so evident when you watch Adoree cover....athletic talent that he trusts to break up the play.

3. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    And he allowed the last WSU touchdown right in front of him. Seymour had a very good game though.

4. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Seymour IMO has a typical amount of penaltys for a DB now a days, I dont think its fair to compare him and Hawkins, who seems to get 2 holding calls a game alone.

5. AZTrojansdude0512

AZTrojansdude0512 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    IMO Seymour has improved quite a bit this season as the season has progressed. He still has work to do but I though he has played much better as of late.

6. USCVel

USCVel Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Agreed. I think Seymour has progressed very well and is turning into a very solid cornerback for us.

7. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Seymour is playing well, actually. Adoree is playing lights out for a freshman.

Hawkins just isn't ready, but when we lost Shaw, we had to use him. He's a deer in the headlights out there at times and continues to think he can get away with holding. Flag happy Pac-12 refs ain't gonna let that happen.

8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Once you get a reputation for holding and being outmatched out there...refs will not give you the benefit of the doubt and will look for that holding. He's got that stigma...and all that jersey pulling and not turning his head in coverage makes it too easy for the refs. I would argue at this point, Adoree could probably get away with similar jersey tugs...cuz the refs know his play and know he doesn't use it as a crutch.

Hard to get out of that vicious holding cycle. How the DB's Coach has not drilled it into his head or taped his fingers to prevent the holding...I don't know. I'd have him out there practicing the head turn and wearing mittens all practice...then after practice, writing lines on the chalkboard..."I will turn my head to see the ball in coverage (or at least give the gratuitous head turn)". "I will not grab, hold or make contact after 5 yards."

Send him to a sports psychologist for goodness sake.

9. bubblescreens

bubblescreens Banned

Nov 4, 2014
    Hawkins is only a redshirt freshman. He needs time. Most young players are not Adoree, Juju, or some of the Freshman OL. When you play inexperienced players they are going to struggle. On one hand in it's great for the future, but it has hurt the present.

Sark haters will blame Sark, because that's easy to do - but this is a depth and sanction reality. We have to rely on kids before they may be ready. I just hope Hawkins recovers from it. My advice, ditch the #4 it cursed.

10. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    I think the kid will be fine. Playing corner is extremely difficult, and playing as a redshirt freshman is a really tall order. It's easy to look at Adoree and lose sight of that fact, because he is so far to the right of the bell curve. But remember that Nickell Robey as a freshman was shockingly bad, far worse than what we've seen from Hawkins this year, and he became an excellent player. Hawkins is actually in a pretty good position much of the time. In a few years, he will be a very valuable addition to the secondary.

11. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    This is a pattern that's becoming annoying to watch.

12. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Do you mean Torin Harris. .....the number 4 for SC db's should not be available. The number is jinxed.

Fight On! ✌

13. Alberto

Alberto Junior Member

Nov 4, 2014
    We should all be happy that a USC player is leading the NCAA is a key statistical category. No other player is even close.

I'm just worried that Hawkins might not be able to keep up his torrid pace through the end of the year. He seems to have had the NCAA record for most penalties in a season wrapped up with he had 7 in a recent 3-game period. He is now slowing down to about one a game due to lack of playing time, which is completely unfair, and a huge blunder by the coaching staff in my opinion.

If Sark is going to let Buck play deep into the forth quarter to keep his string of 100 yard games alive, Chris should be given the same consideration. If not, the locker room may explode over the unfair treatment Hawkins is currently being given.