Another big recruiting hire

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanHorse, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Another big recruiting hire
    TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Word is USC has convinced Marshall Cherrington to leave Cal and join the Trojans as "Director of Recruiting Strategy"

Cherrington is widely considered to be a big part of Cal's recent resurgence in relative recruiting rankings.

Another big step forward for the Trojans football operations.

2. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Onwards and upwards....

3. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Heading the right direction.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Recall reading he is well regarded

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  5. USCHusbandUCLAWife

USCHusbandUCLAWife Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    How does it work with recruiting staff? If a new coach is hired, would he want to replace most of them?

Cardinal&Gold and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I think this is a very important point and an observation worthy of your handle. I think Bohn has quietly assembled a pretty good staff, with two real keepers in Williams and Snyder, and big improvements in Orlando and Naivar. I'm assuming Helton has very little input into this process and it's probably a good thing. As weak as the TE play was Kroemmenhoek showed improvement. It will be interesting to see what happens with the o-line.

So the bigger question I have is, is Bohn trying to assemble a staff that's so good that the Trojans will at least be decent under Helton and deal with that issue later? Or is he laying the groundwork for Helton's replacement? Will some of the assistants be retained?

Who knows?

7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I think it's obvious that it's all of the above. And if I'm Helton, I am sitting in Bohn's office going "I'll restructure my buyout, just put me out of my misery".

8. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    We can only hope. I don't think Helton can see just how ridiculous he's become and that most SC fans do our best to ignore him. I wonder if the players do that too. Rumor has it they genuinely like him.

AZUSCfan and gubo&palanka like this.
  9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Not a rumor, but they probably genuinely like him because they can ignore him and they know nothing will happen.

CrownoftheValley and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Maybe Bohn already knows who he will hire and he’s already working with him to assemble his staff so when he does hire him, his team is already in place

11. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Trojack said:
    I think it's obvious that it's all of the above. And if I'm Helton, I am sitting in Bohn's office going "I'll restructure my buyout, just put me out of my misery".

I don't think Helton looses deep sleep, every time he thinks of his bank account a smile dresses his face. Misery? that's an affliction others suffer from,fans/Sc big wigs etc,

Helton is set for life and didn't have to rob a bank! it was simply landed at his feet.

ONLY IN AMERICA!

Gilesmiles likes this.
  12. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Doesn't matter who is recruiting when you can't evaluate.

Need people on staff that can find talent.
    There is so much talent that SC has around them.

big_pete likes this.
  13. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I would like to think that's what he's doing. Supposedly we have an offer out to Brad Davis, Arkansas' current OL coach. This is significant because he worked under Harrell at North Texas. If one assumes Harrell is behind the offer (at this point, only an assumption), it means (a) Bohn is giving Harrell even more control of the offense than he had before, and (b) Davis knows what Harrell is looking for in terms of OL technique.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Jiko

Jiko Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    No decent head coach in his right mind would come into a program and take on all the assistants from the previous staff. He may keep one or two, but the rest would be cleared out.

15. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    If Cherrington is so great, then why didn't we keep him around 2 years ago when he worked for us? Instead we got rid of this hidden gem? Its not like we were in desperate need of support staff back then or anything. Freaking Helton

16. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    The funny to me is that I believe both are better for USC.

Hear me out, in my scenario, the USC program (short term) wins in more dominant fashion, wins the PAC-12 Championship, and looks better in the bowl game right?
    In that case, the program would begin to look appealing to "better" candidates, and when the iron is hot, Bohn strikes and USC gets the hire that most people have been looking for.

Now long(er) term, the pieces would be put into place for Bohn to hire someone and name the people that have to stay on staff in some fashion.
    No it is not something that has been done often successfully, but there are a few coaches on staff right now that I believe could be retained to help usher in the new coach and point him in the right direction(s) as far as what things have been working for USC.
    Either way, USC needs to win more games, dominate the PAC-12 South, WIN the PAC-12 Championship Game, get back to the New Year's Six bowl game, look competitive/respectable and not get dog-walked like when USC played Ohio State a few years back...

CrownoftheValley likes this.