Amazon pushes for federal $15 minimum wage

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by DaFireMedic, Feb 26, 2021.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    It’s more than that. They hold tremendous influence with the Dem politicians that xuscx votes for at the state level.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  2. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Well...you're the one complaining about $200K firemen.

Here's a riddle for you: what's the difference between a union at Amazon and one for public employees? Give up? Public Unions own the folks they are negotiating with. You don't see any conflict with politicians taking massive bribes from the folks they are discussing salary with?

As for "getting screwed..." Firemen are employed by you, I and the rest of the citizenry. Are those the folks that you say want to exploit public workers, and that the firemen need protection from? Interesting take.

3. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    This gives some things to consider as we look at public employee unions. Without endorsing the article, I offer for your consideration:

The Trouble with Public Sector Unions

.....New Jersey has drawn national attention as a case study, but the same scenario is playing out in state capitals from coast to coast. New York, Michigan, California, Washington, and many other states also find themselves heavily indebted, with public-sector unions at the root of their problems. In exchange, taxpayers in these states are rewarded with larger and more expensive, yet less effective, government, and with elected officials who are afraid to cross the politically powerful unions. As the Wall Street Journal put it recently, public-sector unions "may be the single biggest problem...for the U.S. economy and small-d democratic governance." They may also be the biggest challenge facing state and local officials — a challenge that, unless economic conditions dramatically improve, will dominate the politics of the decade to come......

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/the-trouble-with-public-sector-unions

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  4. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    And just so you all know, I’m not in a union, though the ranks below me are.

And I’ve always been a conservative first, a FF second. I don’t support many of the benefits that xuscx’s Dem politicians have given to public sector unions. And it IS the Dem politicians doing it, so I’m a bit confused as to why an ardent Dem supporter is complaining.

DJ4SC and SCBIGTIME like this.
  5. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    I do not support public sector unions, I do not support the 75 paid days off city employees get off with full medical and full age 55 retirement. I do support low paid workers who get no benefits, low wages, and work in shit jobs. Do you think it is easy doing an 8 hour shift on your feet. If I have to pay and extra dollar at walmart so workers can make $13 an hour instead of $9, I am happy to pay it. I support people who work hard. I do not take advantage of people just because I can.

6. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 3, 2021

Big lefties like Jeff Bezos beg to differ.

DJ4SC, SCBIGTIME and TheRealAirbns like this.
  7. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Have you ever worked 8-hour shifts on your feet? Have you ever worked in the fields under a hot sun and get paid at the end of the day? Yes, it was for very low pay but I considered it a temporary job and I used that experience to push myself because I did not want to live like that for the rest of my life. If they had paid me a "liveable wage", I would probably not have had the same drive to achieve my goals; why work so hard when you can make a decent wage with no special skills? To me, raising the minimum wage too high has the effect of eliminating incentives for the average individual to better themselves.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    SCBIGTIME likes this.
  8. GaryB

GaryB Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Nice spin on the plantation owner's justification for slaves...

9. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    I did those jobs in high school and after I graduated. But they were not career type jobs that were ever meant to support a family. I wanted something more for a career, went to school, and worked hard to get there.

Others can too.

I did it for years in construction, usually longer than 8 hrs. Then I decided that I wanted something different for my career and worked hard to get there.

Others can too.

As would I, but that’s not the issue here.

The problem is that you may be willing to pay more right now at Walmart to give the employees a raise, but when you see the same item on Amazon for 3/4 of the price and can have it on your doorstep in 2 days without leaving your house, are you going to choose Walmart? Maybe.

Maybe you would resist temptation to save money and support Walmart workers, but how many others will under those circumstances?

Walmart and other brick and mortar stores will have to raise their prices to meet a $15 min wage, Amazon will not. Amazon knows this, which is why they are pushing for it. They are competing for customers.

And while Walmart may not be struggling to stay afloat because of the pandemic response, a great many small businesses are, particularly in the restaurant business. And the $15 minimum wage would apply to them as well.

A $15 federal minimum wage is taking jobs away from some people in order to give raises to others.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    reTiredEngr and SCBIGTIME like this.
  10. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    Ridiculous. There is no parallel there at all.

Slaves didn’t have a choice. He and everyone else in the US does have a choice to continue in a low paying job or choose a different career path.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  11. GaryB

GaryB Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    I wasn't writing about the slave. You wrote "If they had paid me a "liveable wage", I would probably not have had the same drive to achieve my goals; why work so hard when you can make a decent wage with no special skills?"

You are spinning a tale that the worker is better off being paid less. A similar argument to the one used by plantation owners to justify slaves.

12. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    Actually, I didn’t write that, it was another poster.

But there is still no parallel, as he was referring to his own situation and motivations at that time in his life, as well as his opinion of what drives people to better themselves financially.

I’ve never heard of a plantation owner that said that slaves were better off because they were paid less. I wasn’t aware that slaves were paid at all.

I have heard of the myth of the “happy slave”, that slaves were somehow better off being in the US than they were in Africa, but that doesn’t parallel anything he said in his post.

13. reTiredEngr

Mar 3, 2021
    Nice attempt to cloud my point that an individual's right and ability to choose and decide his own path is better than having the government do it for us.

Are you implying that only slaves work in the fields?

TheRealAirbns and DJ4SC like this.
  14. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021

Commie liar.

The party you walk lock step with likes slaves.

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  15. reTiredEngr

Mar 3, 2021
    GaryB would not understand the concept of personal motivation; that is not allowed in communist countries.

There is a modern version of the myth- a person who seems to be happy being told what to do by the government.

TheRealAirbns and DJ4SC like this.
  16. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    Yep, except that one is not a myth.

DJ4SC likes this.
  17. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Did you know that between the 1630s and the American Revolution, one-half to two-thirds of the white immigrants to the Thirteen Colonies arrived as indentured servants, many to work in the fields?

SCBIGTIME, TheRealAirbns and DJ4SC like this.
  18. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Hey, let's ask Fry's electronics.

DJ4SC and DaFireMedic like this.
  19. DaFireMedic

Mar 3, 2021
    AOC used salaries for McDonald’s workers in Denmark to make her case for a $15 federal minimum wage.

Except that Denmark does not have a federal minimum wage. McDonald’s workers got that salary not because of a government mandate, but through union negotiations.

They don’t need the government mandating to companies what they must pay employees to achieve decent wages, and neither do we.

20. SLCTrojan

SLCTrojan Junior Member

Mar 4, 2021
    Great question.

Of all of you closed-minded conservative types (myself included), how many have had 8 hour on-your-feet jobs?

I've had three. Construction (I installed stainless steel commercial/industrial kitchens), agriculture (bucking hay in the fields) and food service.

Anyone else?

-SLC