A special talent....talent wise, he's as good as I have ever seen

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by dbw021, Aug 22, 2019.

1. A special talent....talent wise, he's as good as I have ever seen
    dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Wow! Since he was a 3 star rated qb coming out of high school with not a lot of big time offers, this coaching staff must have really coached him up.
    Fortunately, Harrell didn't put to much pressure on Slovis with these comments. Geez!

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 22, 2019
    What I take from this comment is that he’s strictly referring to arm talent. When you watch Slovis throw, it absolutely comes out of his hand picture perfectly. It’s teaching tape, and just looks different from just about every other quarterback. There is no denying that he has a great arm.

But I think it’s also a reference to the fact that he isn’t yet a complete quarterback, because just having talent doesn’t make you ready. We’ll see if he ever gets there, but we said from just about his first practice of spring ball, if you told me he was a redshirt sophomore instead of a true freshman, I’d have believed it with the way he carried himself. He’s also put on 15 pounds since he’s been at USC.

3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Slovis was a 4* in some rankings and #17 pocket passer in his class. Reminder that Justin Herbert was a 3* QB and now he's the best in the Pac 12, so don't go too crazy. Don't think Herbert was on the radar for many programs.

4. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    There have been comments to the contrary, Erik, but JT has filled out a bunch, in a good way. Looks much more fit, not a lot of fat. Do you agree?

crank31 likes this.
  5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 22, 2019
    I think JT looks fine. We’ve heard Michael Pittman say that he’s much stronger in his core this year.

One thing I’ve liked is that when the entire team breaks the huddle after stretching, the offense has to run off of Brian Kennedy field and usually all the way across Howard Jones Field. Of late, JT has been out in front leading the group and running hard. Obviously that alone doesn’t mean they’re going to win 10 games this year, but when you’re looking for signs of leadership, that can be one.

6. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    [​IMG]

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  7. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Matt Fink was #3 dual threat while Jalen Hurts #13 from the same class. Can you trust this ratings on QBs? Especially most are rated on 7on7

AnnenbergGrad likes this.
  8. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    What recruiting site are you referencing for this?

9. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I will admit I am not very knowledgeable about the finer points of football but I was quite impressed watching his hudl senior highlights (link posted on another thread). Sets his feet well when throwing, very aware of where pressure is coming from and scrambles quite well when he has to.

gubo&palanka and CP619 like this.
  10. redeye

redeye Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    The cream shall rise to the top!

11. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    sjm-l-arleenslide-06xx-5.jpg

We'll see. It's tough to project how well a QB will do when he's protected by a yellow vest and not taking any hits in Spring and Fall games. Many dudes with great arms fold like lawn chairs when they get hit. Stanford will blitz on every 3rd down so were going to find out who's who pretty quickly.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Yup. The recruit rankings are a joke, half guesswork, half beauty pageant, honestly.

13. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I'm with you here. I've noticed this as well. He seems way more engaged, vocal, and participatory across the board. Last year he was the wallflower that looked absolutely homesick and miserable, while this year he looks to be giving it (fitting in/being one of the guys) the ol' college try.

14. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I wonder if we should or shouldn't take Harrell's comments about Slovis literally - he said it off the cuff in response to reporters asking a bunch of questions. To be sure, that's a lot of praise to give Slovis. Curious to see him develop.

On JT and leadership, I wonder if JT's more chill demeanor and lack of trying to rally the team last year (so to speak) was a result of him recognizing that he was still the young and inexperienced one in the locker room. In other words, perhaps he didn't want to rock the boat by being that freshman who presumed he could lead the team, be extra loud and competitive, hold other players accountable, etc. For example, I typically respect the hierarchy of my firm and avoid unnecessarily stepping on the toes of those who are higher in rank than me and have been there longer than I have.