85 Scholarship count and Covid?

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by LDIABootney, Feb 25, 2021.

1. 85 Scholarship count and Covid?
    LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Feb 25, 2021
    The question I have is.....
    If this year you can go above 85 total scholarships, because nobody's year counted eligibility wise this past season does that also go for the next 4-5 seasons?

If not, wouldn't a recruiting class suffer a shortage of available scholarships?

Okay that's 2 questions

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    That’s the big question right now because there isn’t an official answer for that yet. Coaches don’t know exactly how to handle things at this point because the expectation doesn’t seem to be that the NCAA will allow teams to stay over 85 for five years (though I suppose it’s a possibility). So at one point it’s possible that everyone will need to cut down to under 85 and that could mean either taking a very small recruiting class or pushing out a lot of upperclassman backups.

I’m also curious to see how big of a deal this will be after the 2021 season, because there might not be that many guys who try to stay for six years moving forward. A guy like Isaiah Pola-Mao could be back this year and also return in 2022, but I would think most of the guys like him are looking to use this as their final season and get off to the NFL. There’s still the age issue when it comes to staying in college for an extra year and a lot of these guys are going to feel they’re ready after 3-5 years regardless if they have the extra one.

Troy70 and LDIABootney like this.
  3. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Feb 26, 2021
    If it's just for 1 season, then this upcoming 2022 recruiting class could be a very small class for USC.

4. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    Or you're talking about how to tell older guys that maybe they'd have a better shot playing elsewhere.

USC has been good throughout this in immediately telling everyone they can use all the extra years afforded to them by the NCAA, so I wouldn't expect that to change. Other programs have told student-athletes that they can't use the sixth year.

LDIABootney likes this.