7-4-42 end of Flying Tigers but not SC Alum Ace

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jul 4, 2020.

1. 7-4-42 end of Flying Tigers but not SC Alum Ace
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    AVG was disbanded . I talked with Chuck Older several times who was quiet but still had sharp eyes. He spotted my SC belt buckle. Had all the AVG aces who could still travel speak at LA symposiums. Their President, ace Dick Rossi, flew with my uncle so invited me to their last reunion in SD. Older returned to China in 44 for more combat in 14th Air Force. Tex Hill & Chuck said when they went on tour of China in 90’s the AVG group was treated by Chinese as heroes everywhere they went. Boy , these aces could drink. Tex after dinner told me where is the booze? We drove to nearest liquor store & askd him what to buy, haha. I asked about Boyington & Rossi said he was roommates in China. Greg was a fighter in the air & on the ground. Older got JD from SC & was Judge of Manson tidal. He only wanted to talk about China & fighting there. Happy 4th & Fight On

Canyon, Boselli, DaFireMedic and 2 others like this.

2. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 4, 2020
    When I was in high school, I read Way of a Fighter (New York: Putnam,1949), the memoirs of Gen. Claire Chennault, who founded and led the American Volunteer Group and later headed the Fourteenth Air Force. The book is now an expensive collector's item.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  3. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    There was a resturant, by LAX, associated with these guys--can't remember the name

4. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Probably the Hungry Tiger on Sepulveda.

5. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Thats it, right by the east-to-west landing path.

Trojan YAF likes this.
  6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Used to be Hungry Tiger near SC Plaza. AVG were beating the Japanese with better tactics even though on shoe string supplies.

Trojan YAF likes this.
  7. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 6, 2020
    I have a special place in my heart for the AVG. Most special of all was Chenalut who recognized right away that the the zero was the superior dog fighter so he designed the dive bombing run from as high as possible and, based on Chinese radio alerts, took on the z-formations. The p40s came down on the Zs with one run, killing who they could and then running fast for home. It was the only tactic the the AVG could use successfully against the Zeros. There is no airplane before or since that could out dogfight the Mitsubishi fighters.

PS recognize the scope of dog fighting.

Trojan YAF likes this.
  8. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 7, 2020
    And they shot down a lot of Zeroes using that tactic.

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Recall telling my dad I was meeting Jim Howard, AVG & 9th AF ace who was awarded Metal of Honor for single handed defending B-17 group. Dad said Jim took him to church as a kid.