#4 is a MAJOR liability

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by LoyalTrojan, Nov 7, 2015.

1. #4 is a MAJOR liability
    LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I cringe every time the opposing QB puts the ball in the air knowing that it is more than likely go in Chris Hawkins direction who of course, will be getting beat.

2. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    He is almost reaching the depths that the previous #4 reached.

3. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    There is playing time for some ballers at safety. Need more physicality and playmaking at that spot.

4. guboamppalanka

guboamppalanka Junior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Really need a top-notch secondary coach. The kids deserve it.

5. GZTrojan

GZTrojan Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    How many Tds had he given up this year? That would be Zero. 3rd on team in tackling. The only player that controls the entire secondary yep that's a liability DumbAss. U are a liability to this board

6. dacoontz

dacoontz Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Oh man, every freaking passing play was right at him. It didn't help that they put his stats on the big board before the game during warm ups announcing him as the third leading tackler on the defense. It went straight to his head and he doesn't realize that he has so many tackles because the guys he guards always need tackling. I don't think I want my secondary doing a significant portion of the tackling. He is a huge liability and should never be left in a spot where he is going to be one v one. In the fourth quarter on that dropped pass around the 5-10 yard line he was jumping all over the place as if he had anything to do with the incompletion. I am starting to believe that he doesn't realize just how much he lacks and thus doesn't do enough to fix it. Although, this is probably more on the coaching than the player himself.

7. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    the game is all about matchups and teams get catch us in a bad matchups with him in 1 on 1 coverage with good WR's a bunch. Yes there is a reason he was moved from corner to Safety. Obviously he doesn't have as good as cover skills as needed to play corner. Most safeties are a liability in man coverage on WR and that is why defenses try to prevent it and offenses try to expose it. However, he does very well in run support

8. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Everybody was complaining about run defense and pressure on the QB - so Wilcox plays a little more man-to-man in the secondary and yes, some passes will be completed if the rush isn't there because the Pac-12 has a very large number of talented receivers and QBs who can throw the ball to them.

Sure, Biggie and Hawkins and even Adoree have been tested and yes, burned, but that goes with the territory of trying to improve the play of the front seven. In last nights game, the Trojans pretty much stifled the UA running game and got enough pressure on Soloman to get the Cats off the field when they needed to in the second half when it mattered.

Every team has to make those kind of choices - Bama made the choice to stop Fournette at all costs and it was evident Miles and his staff didn't prepare the passing game well enough to deal with the possibility that Bama would do that

9. gotrojans1

gotrojans1 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    He has gotten better and will continue to get better, he struggles man on man but most S do. I think he has been solid for the most part this year.

10. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Remember Biggie has been beatin like a drum from time to time

11. sjakek

sjakek Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Good lord. He had a poor game. But you're full of it if you think this is how he's played every game. On the whole he's been solid at safety, if unspectacular.

12. ThorinHB

ThorinHB Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Biggie and Adoree were beat for TDs.., Bag on them as well then

13. GZTrojan

GZTrojan Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Every freaking pass play was at him. Let me check they scored 3tds in the air. He wasn't on any of those. So your stats ate wrong. But what I notice most is a lot of u are scared to do that to certain players. It is easy to try and pick on others. Everyone wants Leon back now but you guys were tearing him down for the last 2 years. Last year it was the penalties. This year he has solidified the secondary and now he is a liability. Every DB we have had given up tds and plays all of them its football. Do the other teams have scholarship players or are they all walk-ons.

14. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Arizona had a very good run game, so we ADJUSTED our defense to stop the run. Yes that put more pressue on the DBs. This is how you win games, you look what the other team does and make a game plan. You do not just walk out of the tunnel and say we are SC and we will beat you by 50 points

15. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm not the biggest fan of Hawkins, but calling him out in this case is Armchair BS.

16. O.G. luke skywalker

O.G. luke skywalker Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    More like #4 needs comp and collision...

17. fighton55

fighton55 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    John Plattenburg played his best game so far and made a game changing interception and a handful of other big plays. Our other safety has been disappointing to me and does give up on plays.

18. ATR32

ATR32 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I've made some disparaging remarks on this board about a few of our lesser-talented starters (and those who play a lot). I didn't feel good about it then and won't do it now. Even in my athletic heyday (there barely was one) I would have reached the level of jock carrier of this team. Long story short, I am not going
    to rag on any of these guys. It's not worth it.

Hawkins is a good player but lacks elite-level physical attributes. Just about all of us do (including myself, for damn sure). He is more of a "situational" type player, who could and should be largely used in run situations/against teams trying to pound the rock against us. He deserves to be on the field. However,
    he is being asked to do more than he is physically capable of ahndling at this time, in my opinion.

It's possible that a new coaching staff (with, particularly, a new secondary coach) could fine-tune Hawkins' cover skills. We may very well be seeing this happen, starting next spring. He's a tough and skilled kid who really needs some polish. A better staff can hopefully make this happen for him and others.

19. USC in SC

USC in SC Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Over the past 2 games. The opposition specifically targets Hawkins man. The reason is he struggles with coverage.

20. GZTrojan

GZTrojan Junior Member

Nov 8, 2015
    So with your analysis they haven't targeted all our DBs just Hawkins? They aren't targeting the defense we are in just Hawkins. The other teams we played didn't target him just the past 2. For real man. Really. 3tds last night. One on AJax one on Biggie and one on Kevon. Oh guess those were really intended for Hawkins. .

21. GZTrojan

GZTrojan Junior Member

Nov 12, 2015
    That pretty much sums it up. Fight On Beat the Buffs

22. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2015
    As long as he is doing his best....similiar to Kessler.....he deserves our support and respect. Is he the ideal player at his position....no. He is doing what he can do.....as a good Trojan. Fight On.

23. gotrojans1

gotrojans1 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2015
    players should keep off the boards as people will be negative and positive. If you play bad then someone will say you played bad. Wrong? No. This thread is a bit much he is not a liability, is he elite and one of our best players no, but he's good and will continue to get better.

I reminded people kast year that players and there family's see what we write, one comment about mc quay actually upset him I saw on Twitter. Hawkins has family on SC boards, possibly one in this thread GZ? liability is a bit strong

24. ca4usc

ca4usc Junior Member

Nov 12, 2015
    CHawk will get better with each game. He is pretty young still, as is most of the team. 1 or losses and you guys want to fire the coach....1 or 2 bad plays and you guys say the player sucks. USC fans have no patience, but look back and see how many undefeated seasons there have been during any coaches stay. There was a poster on the old Weare board that wanted PC fired 4 years before he left.

25. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Hmmm... was searching for something and this thread came up. Timing...

26. aTrojan2

aTrojan2 Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    I thought he would improve with better position coaching and with Clancy watching him. I seem to have been wrong...

27. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Did Biggie rush by mistake? Think Hawk was the blitzer. On other TD did Biggie get caught looking at the QB as his man ran past him? Who knows what the assignments were?

28. SCeeV03

SCeeV03 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 4, 2016
    That was ajene wearing #24

29. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Hawkins has to own at least one of them, and does so in his post-game interview. Hawkins sounds like a level headed player, with the ability to own his mistakes. He is a true Trojan and will most likely work to improve his game.

30. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    @ big number 4...A loss is a team loss. Fight on C Hawk.. you know what needs to be done young man show them all what's up..

Be fair here ladies and gentlemen Biggie got beat on that first TD and Chris was trying to get there over the top to help.. Biggie is a ball player but he's a sophomore he's going to have ups and downs but he makes plays.

I saw C Hawk blow up a run on 3rd down early in the game so he makes plays too...

31. tenku

tenku Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    I wish Chris Hawkins the very best. I honestly do. Even if he's not the sole problem of this team, I honestly think that he is one of the symbol of the sanctions. There is no way in hell he is starting on a Pete Carroll team. I appreciate his effort, but he's not Taylor Mays or T.J. McDonald which is exactly what USC needs to get back to. USC needs tough physical guys who is looking to put the hurt on. Chris Hawkins is a nice kid and that's about it.

Half of this team looks nice. Just look at Banner. He's huge, but he has no mean bone in him. Just once, I want to see him get mad and run the opposing Defensive End over.

32. S.Rodriguez

S.Rodriguez Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ykili Ross.

33. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Every game is bad for Chris Hawkins, he will take a bad angle so he won't have to tackle. Look at the film Kiffin went right at him.

34. dacoontz

dacoontz Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    This game versus Alabama reminded me a lot last years Oregon game. For the record, I thought about this thread but didn't expect it to be renewed. And by the way, CH can hit as hard as any his size and some. I wonder if he could be utilized better.

35. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    in no way possible. the worst CB I have ever seen in any type of organized football.

36. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Just in case some of you did not realize it, this is a team game. We played like shit. Shit begets shit. There is really nothing you can take away from games like this except lick your wounds and try better next time. Learn by your mistakes.

37. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Classless thread brought to us from team couch. I actually met a parent at the airport. Their big complaint, alumni Message boards