4 days ago-“I’m committed to Colorado”

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by KANDI11, Feb 12, 2020.

1. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 13, 2020

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 13, 2020
    Clay won't get a call until the Western Kentucky job opens up. The new HC might ask Clay to coach tight ends.

3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    I've thought about it. I personally know there are offers I could not refuse (or would be a fool to), so I couldn't get myself to lecture others on transferring and vilifying/ridiculing/pressuring them. There's a way to encourage players to stick with their team, but you cross the line when you use bully-tactics/soap boxes...only to end up doing the same thing.

Point being, can't imagine Tucker can use these same tactics at MSU, since those kids will know how he got to be their coach in the first place...

[​IMG]

4. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Word is they are burning all of the marijuana fields on campus in Boulder as a protest to Tucker leaving. Heard there was a posse of elite rich white kids with dreds, carrying bongs to light up on the president's front porch. However, the stench of their deodorant-less arm pits are all that could be smelled.

5. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    It's amazing to me no other schools have tried to poach Willingham from Utah. He's been a flopper in big games of late, but he's consistently won for a decade or so, which is no small thing in Utah.

Meanwhile, Shaw's stock at Furd has plummeted! They once had the magic formula to own OL/TE/QB/FB/RB/MLB recruiting and branded themselves as the last of the "Pro-Style" programs and ran a tough S&C program. They modeled their program to make players staying all 4 yrs cool and players didn't mind not getting playing-time their first 2-3 seasons.

Somewhere along the line, the wheels fell off? Not sure why, don't follow their program too closely. Did they lose key assistants, or just the normal ebb/flow of programs and Shaw has gotten stale there?

Trojan Man 30, DaFireMedic and SC93er like this.
  6. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    [QUOTE="nvargas, post: 1020413,

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Mike Bohn. You can learn alot from the wisdom of the Million Dollar Man!!
    Cupace20200213114647.png

ConquerorSC likes this.
  7. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Tucker was making $2.4 mil at Colorado. He will make $5.5 mil at Michigan St. $5.5 mil for Mel Tucker?
    I hope Colorado hires Helton. He is a bargain.

zitorocks likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    They’d have to pay Helton’s buyout also.

9. ImanMarshallLOCK

ImanMarshallLOCK Banned

Feb 13, 2020
    This is a basic economics issue. My generation (the worthless millennials) have been told our whole lives that we should have absolute loyalty to our manager, and never under any circumstance look for a better opportunity. In reality, managers are constantly looking to improve their lives, while telling their subordinates that they should never strive for anything greater than their current position.

I have no problems with players looking to get playing time, and not destroy their career sitting on the bench.

10. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    ouch

her Erik padres fielded some good teams in the 90’s!

11. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Totally agree with your comments about how Tucker handled this. If he has the right to move whenever he wants to, so should the players. He should have been quiet and not so effusive in how much he loved it at Colorado. Fickell was quiet while contacted and the job discussed for example.

I am less concerned about the coaches leaving the conference. Leach had done as much as he was going to get done at WSU. His name has been in the mix for several positions. Tucker moving is more unfortunate, because he will be an up and coming coach. Great pick by MSU, but he grew up in the area and had spent most of his career east of the Mississippi.

Bottom line, the conference has to move in a different direction. Leadership is awful, TV revenue laughable, resources drying up (aside from Uncle Phil's millions). More coaches will leave out of frustration to greener pastures, not just in football, but other sports as well.

earlandnic likes this.
  12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    You're working for the wrong people. In my experiences, as a supervisor, I have probably been more loyal to my subordinates than they were to me. I also spent a significant portion of my time mentoring, coaching, and teaching them to advance. I have taken much pride in the success of those who have worked for me. Anytime one of my proteges is promoted ahead of schedule or selected for command it solidifies my own success. That's the reality of leadership. Your success and legacy is completely dependent upon how you make others successful. When one of my proteges becomes a general officer one day, I will be there with a smile from ear to ear because I know I'll own a piece of that forever.

13. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    He’ll no! You can’t blame Tucker! He did what every other coach in college football, does/did

14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    And yet Kingsbury has taken some major insults from SC fans for leaving for the NFL.
    F HIM!

15. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Please substitute "I" instead of "My Generation" other wise this post is complete non-sense.

zitorocks likes this.
  16. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    Agreed. I don't blame Tucker at all for leaving. But it's easy to blame him (and every other coach who does it) when they constantly whine about players transferring because "that's not how it works in the real world" and then they ultimately (and in some cases, immediately) prove that it's exactly how it works in the real world. The transfer portal thing doesn't bother me because players ultimately have to find a match that works for them and their new program. It'd be a different thing (and a whole lot easier to bash) if it was something where a player could just demand to start somewhere else. But that's not what's happening.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  17. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Lol, were you raised by your great-grandparents?

18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
  19. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    LOL
    Like any one of them wouldn’t have done what Kingsbury or Coach Tucker did.
    People need to stop conflating loyalty with lunacy.
    For either one of them to stay in their current job when given those opportunities would have been lunacy.
    Same idiots who were on here pontificating about why Darnold should stay another season because “ money isn’t everything” and sometimes “ education is more important”. Like one single student at USC wouldn’t leave school if someone told them I’ll give you 40 million dollars to quit school but you’ll have four months off every year to finish your degree.

Give me a fvcking break

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    CrownoftheValley likes this.