27-point faves over W. Michigan huh?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by AnnenbergGrad, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 27-point faves over W. Michigan huh?
    AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    If we no cover the spread, I guarantee the Helton naysayers will be out in full force. haha.

I personally think we win by 3 TDs only and it's not a huge offensive show by us. We will also have a little trouble with their read option, I predict.

USC: 38

W. Michigan: 17

I'm no betting man, but the Broncos are a better team than the oddsmakers give credit for. And our passing game may not be on all cylinders just yet. And no, I will not join the Helton naysayers if it's a somewhat modest, but solid, win.

2. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    They have 15 starters back from a 13-1 team who played right with Wisconsin. They did lose their QB and NFL WR, but have lots of experience back. They will run the ball and if successful, will kill time so I say we don't cover.

3. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Not sure that this game spread is about WM. Maybe about our OL and DL. If our lines are playoff caliber we should win easily. If not it could be within a score or two. We shall see. Hoping for good things.

4. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    It will be a hot game. Hope they can rotate a lot of players in. If the game is in hand in the 3rd quarter expect a lot of running going on.

5. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017

Let's hope that the game is in hand and they let Fink/Sears throw the ball.

6. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    USC practices against mobility and running QBs more than ever now. I have confidence Clancy will shut down the read-option and force the QB to throw. Expect big plays by the LBs and DBs. I'm calling this game over and done in the 3rd.

7. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Looking at it from WMU POV:
    • We're breaking in a new QB - tough opponent to have to do that against
    • On the road at USC, #4 team - that isn't easy
    • 15 starters back - that is something to certainly lean on
    For USC
    • At home
    • Sam is our QB
    • Defense should be a strength
    • RB's look the part
    • WR's need to step up
    • OL needs to be aggressive
    USC should look to play fairly conservative in the 1st quarter. No need to get fancy. Go with the veterans .Control the ball. Throw high percentage passes. Be patient. As the game evolves they will open it up more. Half time score could likely be a two TD lead. 3rd Qtr will be telling. USC should look to put the game out of reach. I don't mean to sound cocky here, just saying that have the talent to do this. A big part of this coming about will be USC's defense keeping WMU in check, which I think is reasonable expectation.

8. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    I agree or by the 3rd. They get the dagger.

9. TrojanWarMachine

TrojanWarMachine Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Hoping we can take care of business only running base defense and basic offensive plays. Get some of the young ones some playing time too, we'll need some of them with our no bye schedule. No need to show the trees anything, then stomp them next week.

10. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    If Western Michigan can get their ground game going, sustaining drives, they could chew up the clock limiting scoring opportunities for the Trojans, which could keep USC from covering the spread. But if Western Michigan ends up running the ball well and sustaining drives, that won't be a good thing considering who's on deck next week.

In the end, big convincing wins are nice, but I'll take a win where USC works the roster, getting the rust out, rounding into form while not sustaining any injuries and not giving Stanford anything special to prepare for on tape.

DJ4SC likes this.
  11. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    3 objectives (in order):
    1) Win (score is essentially irrelevant, except as it relates to 2&3)
    2) Stay healthy
    3) Get some new faces some needed experience
    Move on...

12. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    I actually like the 27-point spread. I think WMU is an ideal first game for us because:

1) For the offense, WMU will provide an experienced but not a great defense. That will allow us to run the more standard plays with the expectation that we should be fairly successful with enough margin for error. Good game to establish the run, get WRs good game-time experience. They'll put up some resistance but in the end we score 42+.
    2) For the defense, WMU presents a one-dimensional game (unless their new QB turns out to be a superstar), but a really good dimension. Our D will fit nicely with their style of play as we have depth on the line and I think if there is any question it is our corners. I predict we play 3 DL set more in this game and force them to throw. I think they will have some success initially, but then we limit their running success as the game wears on. I predict we give up less than 17.

So my prediction is 45-14.

DJ4SC likes this.
  13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    I just want to win every game. I can't wait until Saturday.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  14. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    The anticipation for this season has been extremely high.

It's been a long road and I hope we are truly back.

15. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 29, 2017
    "but the Broncos are a better team than the oddsmakers give credit for. "

I agree however just as the naysayers will come out of their closets so too will the sunshine pumpers should it go the other way.
    It is not science it is fandom.
    God Bless Fans

16. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Yeah, I don't really care. Let the naysayers come. I would not have set a 27 point spread, but I'm not an oddsmaker. I'm more concerned with how the team plays, how they execute on offense, how they control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, do they consistently pressure the opposing QB and not let him set, do they stuff the run, etc. If they do all these things well but WMU turns to be better than expected, I'm good with less than a 27 pt margin of victory.

It would be prudent to go into this game expecting the worst, that WMU is as good or better than last year, regardless of whether it's likely or not. Play 4 full quarters of tough, physical football and not worry about the margin of victory. Do that, and I expect USC will win pulling away regardless of how good WMU turns out to be.

17. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Aug 30, 2017
    If happened to be in Las Vegas this weekend, I'd be hard-pressed not to take Western Michigan and 27 points.
    I think that USC would be doing well to win by 2-3 TD's against a 13-1 team, returning 15 starters, that played in a New Years bowl last season.

I thought the spread would be around 17-21 points.

18. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Even 17-21 points seems like a lot. As you said, this team returns fifteen and lost only one game last year - by only eight points to an opponent that finished in the top ten (and outscored them in final three quarters).

For a first game and an opponent with this kind of potential, envisioning a 27 point win is nothing more than crapping bricks of sunshine.

19. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Pete's teams struggled early and WM is not Rice. I won't get my panties in a wad if it's close...now if we lose....