2021 USC Tennis + Updates

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by Canyon, Feb 7, 2021.

1. 2021 USC Tennis + Updates
    Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Feb 7, 2021
    Women Tennis.

Anyone know what's up with Snow Han, the very talented incoming freshman from China? Noticed she is listed on the roster, but nada Bio or picture of her. Looks like S.Han did not make it to USC? Appreciate any info.

One day after post: come on someone must know the scoop on S.Han?

3-16-21, update. Team ranked #21 in nation, 7-4 record. Kulikov #1 has not played in over a month? I wonder what's up with her (hurt or left the team)? Tough to win matches without Kulikov...

4-8-21, update. Team record 11-6, #34 Oracle computer rankings. It's been a tough year and inconsistent overall play. Fight On girls...

4-15-21, update, Team record 11-8, lost to Cal and Stanford last week. Current rankings #36 Oracle, #32 Coaches. Salma Ewing is climbing the rankings at #65 and playing #1 for the team. No other girls are ranked in the top 125.

Men's Tennis.

2-07-21, Currently ranked #1 in the nation. After this weekend, USC is undefeated with a 6-0 record. This team is very talented; 8 deep in singles. But, it will not be easy winning the Championship. North Carolina, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Stanford, Ohio St. and Virginia are formidable teams.

Dang, last year USC was ranked #1 and in good position of taking the NCAA Championship, but spring sports were suspended due to the virus epidemic. Too bad...

2-16-21 update. #1 USC had a bad ITA Indoor Team Tournament, held at U. Illinois. USC were the defending 2020 Champs. Whoa, uncharacteristically the 2021 team lost all 3 matches to un-ranked and host Illinois (1-4), #5 Texas (3-4), #3 TCU (3-4). The Texas and TCU matches were close and could have gone either way. Not concerned, it's early in the season. The boys must not lose confidence and work hard at practice. They will rebound. After this weekend, the team will drop to around #8 rankings.

2-28-21 update. #9 USC had an excellent week. The team beat # 14 Oklahoma St., 4-0, #5 TCU 4-0, #17 UCLA 4-3. The boys got a revenge win against TCU which beat them 2 weeks ago 3-4. They have played UCLA twice and won both times. In the next rankings on Tuesday, 3-02-21 the team should climb to #4 or #5. This is a tough, resilient, determine team. Coach Masi has done a fabulous job. Dang, hoping they lift the no fans band, I desperately want to see this team play at least once this year. Crossing my fingers...

3-16-21 update. Team currently ranked, #10, 11-4 record. Last lost against Pepperdine, Cukierman #1, and Dostanic #3 team position did not play. Injured? Tough to win matches without them. The top 10 teams in the nation are very good and pretty much even Steven. Any of the top 10 is able to win the NCAA Championship. Key, the boys must get and stay healthy. Tennis is brutal and injuries will occur.

4-08-21 update. Team record 16-5, currently ranked #15 Oracle computer, #12 USTA Coaches rankings. 3 loses, Cukierman and Dostanic were out, did not play. My poll #6, when the boys are healthy USC is one of top teams in nation. Hopefully, everyone gets healthy for the NCAA Championships in May. I really think, the boys can take the title...

4-15-21 update. Team record 16-6, lost to Stanford, 3-4, close match, could have gone either way. Something is up with Cukierman, he has been losing in recent matches? Team currently ranked #15 Oracle, #12 USTA Coaches. I think the Coaches rankings are correct. The boys must get healthy to be among the top 8.

As of 4-15-21, Florida, Baylor, N. Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, TCU, Texas, Georgia are the top 8 teams. I think Illinois #16 and Stanford #24 are dark horses and will surprise people in the national championship.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:25 AM

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 20, 2021
    Officially, it's Jiangxue Han. She doesn't seem to have played a match of any kind since last year at this time. Maybe travel to the US from China was a problem.

Canyon likes this.
  3. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Feb 21, 2021
    Thanxs VB, OK that makes sense. This 2021 women's team is much improved from the previous years. Looks like C.Swain is recruiting A+ players + 2 good transfer players. Currently, they are ranked 16th. I feel Han would have made them a much better team and most likely have cracked top 10. Also, they loss a top player in Carson Branstine to transfer, too bad. With Han & Carson, the team mostly likely would have made top 6 ranking in country.

Shoot every year, I would drive down to see a couple of men's and women's tennis matches. Fans are not allow in the stands. I will miss seeing the team play this season, this virus lock down is a bummer. I wish the PAC 12 networks covered more tennis on TV...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021