2020 College Football Season Will NOT Be Canceled

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by PacTrojan, Apr 2, 2020.

1. 2020 College Football Season Will NOT Be Canceled
    PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    I thought there was a pretty good chance that the season would be canceled by the NCAA, but as the LA Times pointed out it is not an NCAA decision for FBS.

"While the NCAA had the power to decide whether the Division I men’s basketball tournament and the other winter and spring championships would be held, in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the decisions will lie with the conferences and, in the case of the postseason, the College Football Playoff and bowls.

The NCAA would make the call on the Football Championship Subdivision, Division II and Division III, but all it can do with FBS is offer a recommendation at the appropriate time, an NCAA spokesman said.

That puts [Larry] Scott and the other Power Five conference commissioners in a position to chart a course.

Scott said he has been on daily phone calls with that group, which is only beginning to tackle the football issue...

Scott said the Pac-12 has formed a committee of 12 football “experts,” one from each school, to analyze the situation from all angles.

The May 31 date could hold significance for the football issue, too. Scott said he would like to be able to make decisions about the start of the season by then."​

Given the huge negative financial implications to each conference and its schools of not having a season, I can't see them agreeing to cancel the season. I definitely don't see USC agreeing - with football revenue accounting for $60 million of the Athletic Department's annual $120 million budget, and the University needing $20 million a year to operate the Coliseum.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-01/college-football-in-2020-power-five-commissioners-seek-answers

2. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    USC can WANT a football season all it wants, but what do you do when a couple of players test positive? What happens when you figure out that 40 other guys need to be quarantined? What do you do when other teams on your schedule have infected players? Take a look at our aircraft carrier off Guam. We WANT it to be on station, but they're in the process of off-loading 3000 sailors into quarantine.

3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    The decision has not yet been made.

I don’t know if it will be canceled or not, but I don’t see it going forward until we get a handle on this outbreak AND we have a vaccine. I believe the 2020 season will be canceled and the conferences along with the NCAA will look to the 2021 season, as we will likely have an approved vaccine by then.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    If numbers come down by end of May PAC can talk but Newsome will consult experts before oking a Stadium full. Ram telling us ST holders may lose some games or season. Will get refunds for games not played.

jjg4sc likes this.
  5. tttrojan4life

tttrojan4life Junior Member

Apr 2, 2020
    The season will be cancelled. The 2020-21 school year will continue online.

This isn’t going away until there is a vaccine. At least another year of this.

on the bright side, we spare ourselves an absolute beat down by Bama.

6. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    The Season will Absolutely be cancelled.
    Covid is killing a minority of young healthy infected individuals.
    I have a patient under 30, healthy, who was intubated and near death from Covid.
    80% of infections are relatively mild; but within the 20%, there are absolutely young people who have and will die.
    As another poster correctly pointed out, the only thing that will end this pandemic is a vaccine which is a year away at the earliest. vaccine in Spring 2021. Football in Fall 2021.

7. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Very sorry to hear about your patient. You as a health care provider are definitely on the front line in this battle, and I thank you.

I agree that a vaccine is the real answer, but I can't see the US economy surviving a year of shelter-in-place and closed businesses. As testing for COVID-19 becomes more readily available and with faster results, the US Govt may have to take more drastic measures (under the existing federal status dealing with emergency health authority) - mandatory testing, proof of testing and status, and restrictions on the freedom of movement at the interstate level. It seems if this isn't done, and with no vaccine, CV-19 will just bounce around the country over the next 10 to 12 months until everyone has had it and with 20% needing hospitalization.

8. redondob

redondob Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Even when we let up on shelter in place, college sports in a large stadium is a different question. Even with no fans, the players would obviously not be at a safe distance.

9. DaFireMedic

Apr 3, 2020
    It won’t survive it. Right now, it must be this way, but the economy will have to open up before it becomes irrecoverable. What that point is, I don’t know.

But if the economy crashes, Covid-19 will still be here and people will still get infected. But private hospitals will not be able to stay open if they are not being paid, there’s only so much that doctors and nurses will be able or willing to work without being paid, and insurance companies will not be able to pay if they are not being paid. The waiting list for what government hospitals remain will be significant, and a great many people will not be able to get care for their medical problems.

I believe that the collapse of the economy (if allowed to occur) will kill many times more people than Covid-19 will, even if Covid-19 is left unchecked. We need to do what we can to take the proper precautions to “flatten the curve” and shelter in place for now. But we cannot let it go past the point of no return for the economy.

That said, we will not likely open everything back up immediately. Football will be one of those things that will not start back up again this year. They are not going to have stadiums and arenas filled with people until there is a vaccine available.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I have DVDs of Pete era so picking ND games , ruin games , bowl games then regular games. Upgraded home theatre projector in December after AD said he is keeping Clay, lol.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  11. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020

Vaccines, really? Tens of thousands of people die each year from the flu, even after getting a flu shit.

Troken, Area51Trojan and 4thamp1 like this.
  12. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Think about it......even if CoVid numbers dropped drastically and they could start the season, as soon as ONE player got sick and tested CoVid positive, the whole season would be trashed for everybody.

jjg4sc likes this.
  13. DaFireMedic

Apr 3, 2020
    I’m not arguing about the effectiveness of vaccines, or even flu vs Covid-19. I’m saying that you won’t be seeing stadiums filled with people until there is a vaccine for Covid-19.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  14. trojan07

trojan07 Junior Member

Apr 3, 2020
    And when the vaccine proves not to be effective... as the flu shot often isn't... what then?

15. DaFireMedic

Apr 4, 2020
    The flu vaccine shouldn’t be compared with a Covid-19 vaccine in that the viruses are very different. There are a great many strains of flu out there and the vaccine is the best estimate of the several most likely strains. There is only one confirmed strain of Covid-19 right now, although that doesn’t mean that there aren’t others. But right now they only have to target one virus.

No vaccine is 100% effective, (flu vaccines are generally 40-60% effective), but people sometimes get “the flu” despite getting the vaccine for the year because either they caught a different strain of the flu than what was in the vaccine, or more likely, they got the common cold and called it “the flu”. The terms “cold” and “flu” are often used by interchangeably by the general public, as the symptoms are similar despite them being from completely different viruses. The flu is generally more serious than a cold.

There is no vaccine for the common cold, yet people often blame the flu vaccine as being faulty when they catch a cold, assuming that they have the flu and that the flu vaccine should have stopped it.

In the event that they don’t have an effective vaccine for Covid-19 by next year, it’s hard to tell what they will do with football. Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Ride Fly, Kaptain Karl and LucGomez40 like this.
  16. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    It's really the asymptomatic transmissibility of COVID-19 that makes reopening up society to large gatherings such as sporting events a major issue. This is especially true when you adding in intestate travel mixing groups from high and low infection areas - for example USC fans from LA intermingling with Alabama fans in a football stadium in Texas.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  17. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Apr 4, 2020
    It seems hard to imagine that the teams can start a season with no spring or summer practice. We would need to see a rapid disappearance of the Chinese virus in order to have a season, and that would seem to be a miracle at this time.

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Positive view is no embarrassment again on national TV. My son threaten to lock me up if I booked Texas flight again.

19. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Apr 5, 2020
    You make great points....some like to argue for the sake of arguing dont mind them

DaFireMedic likes this.
  20. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Lots of good points are made above. It's hard to look at them objectively and say that the preponderance of evidence doesn't point to it being unlikely that the 2020 football season will be played. However, I have no issue with Trump and others remaining optimistic that it will be. The final decision on this can be made as late as July 1, which is still almost 3 months away. Until then I want to remain hopeful that some sort of normalcy can return to the American way of life by the start of the football season in early September, which is about 5 months from now.

As much as an indefinite lock-down might save lives, it's valid to ask the question if it's viable for American's to stay in their homes for that long with virtually nothing to do, in order to avoid getting a virus that appears to kill under 1% of healthy people under 60 years of age. There will come a point where there needs to be a decision made whether Americans will continue to stay at home until there is a workable vaccine in place (optimistically a year from now), thereby destroying the savings, businesses, careers and mental health of tens of millions of Americans....Or to significantly flatten the virus curve over the next 90 days, then do everything possible to minimize the potential of high-risk groups getting the virus...As Arledge's recent article argued for...While the rest of America gets on with their lives.

I don't envy the people having to make this decision. It's a lose/lose proposition.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    OC2SC likes this.