2019's youth, injuries should benefit USC in 2020

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 7, 2020.

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Criminal that there isn't much help expected from inside the roster on both the offensive and defensive lines. Another case of malignant neglect by the staff. The head coach -- Bohn -- has to be on top of this.

Unless the strategy was always to use the transfer portal. Coach Bohn will probably pull this spin out of his ass.

3. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Reasons to be optimistic and expect 9 or 10 wins next year.
    IF that happens, I sure hope we can pull in a good recruiting class or things are going to get really dicey, maybe in 2021 but surely in 2022.

jjg4sc and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    The depth looks promising, but getting all of them out there practicing will be a challenge.

5. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Anyone have a pool on how many "there's no benefit with Clay Helton as the HC..." comments in this thread? I'd like the over 20 spot please. Thank you.

6. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Thanks Erik. I will definitely feel worried about the defensive line if any of the 3 interior lineman leave for the NFL (if I remember correctly, they're all juniors).

7. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Youth? We were told in 2018 that the main reasons for the poor results were that the team was young and there were a lot of injuries. After 2018, Connor Murphy himself even tweeted, blasting the fans, "Haven't you ever heard of a rebuilding year?"

In a level of football where the best players only stay 3 years, maybe 4, can you really use youth as an excuse 2 years in a row? How about looking at the absolute disaster of what became of Helton's 2016 recruiting class who all should have been in their 4th years this year. The transfers and suspensions and busts in that class alone are what made this a "young" team. Who do we blame for that 2016 recruiting class that looked great on paper and then self-destructed once they came to USC? Not all of them, mind you, but a shocking amount.

Do we blame the extremely high flop rate of that 2016 class on the sanctions or Kiffin or Sark or Folt or Bohn or injuries or youth or do we just continue to look at the common denominator in every single USC football issue in the last 4.5 years?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  8. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Is it time for all the writers to start their off season pumping us up for next season campaign? It's not going to work, just like it hasn't worked for the last couple of years.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    gubo&palanka and Trojan12 like this.
  9. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Thanks, Erik. Not to talk specifically about your reporting, but in general, there are always a lot of if-thens this time of year, and they always get rosier after spring camp and heading into fall. I remember the Damien Mama/Vinnie T years, when reports coming out of spring and fall practice waxed rhapsody about how dominant the O line was going to be. And then they played real games.

IMHO, it’s a new year, but same team...good-to-great at the skill positions, weak on the lines, and a couple hits away from Fink (or a walk-on if he transfers) being relied on to save our season.

You see what I did there — an entire comment and not one mention of our hopelessly inept coach, lol.

10. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Personally, I have trouble discussing the nuanced fragrances of the different bouquets of flowers in a room surrounding a brontosaurus turd.

Jack53, OC2SC and Trojan12 like this.
  11. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Right. I definitely made sure not to use this story to wander into a discussion of 2020 being better than 2019, because I just don’t know if that will be true at this point. But I think the point of the story is fairly straightforward and tough to argue. Just looking at the effect of USC having to use a lot of young guys to cover for injured players last year, and also getting guys back who missed last year (all, most, or some of it), you have to say those are positive things for this upcoming team.

Does that automatically translate to more wins or a flawlessly run program? Absolutely not. That’s a different story.

I don’t think you’re going to get a ton of glowing praise this offseason like you have in past years. We loved the wide receivers coming out of last spring and thought the run game was a major work in progress. I’ll admit I thought the defensive line would be better than it wound up being. Talanoa Hufanga was a star, but the defense overall had some questions that needed to be answered.

12. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Connor needs to know USC reloads not rebuild

13. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Not lately they haven't reloaded says the 12th & 78th recruiting rankings. Dead last in the Pac XII and Chuckles Helton has made this the reconstruction of the south type of rebuilding. The USC football program is a freakin' disaster.

To satisfy @zitorocks, "There's no benefit with Clay Helton as the HC"

gubo&palanka and zitorocks like this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    I don't think the Trojans can afford to lose both Marlon T. and Tufele either.

I would be surprised if both Austin Jackson and Tufele stay. I don't think Vera Tucker or Marlon T. will go, especially Marlon T. Looking for Jake Rodriguez to come up big this season. I like Jimmons too. Tim for Pili to really step up.

The defense as a whole looks scary and not in a good way, especially the LBs. Gaoteote needs to play closer to his enormous potential. I can't say any of the other LBs are going to strike fear into opponents, at lease initially. But having a new DC will help a lot.

Thanks for the informative article Erik.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Connor needs to improve to be able to help.

gubo&palanka, OC2SC and racea911 like this.
  16. RollTideBrent

RollTideBrent Member

Jan 7, 2020
    It looks like when USC plays Alabama in September, both teams will be loaded. USC might win the game simply because of experience in the quarterback position.

17. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Please God may you allow Solomon Tuliaupupu to play next season.

gubo&palanka and SonofGodzilla like this.
  18. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Hahaha!!! That’s comedy gold. Straight out of the Lou Holtz quotebook.

19. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Thought this was an article indicating that Helton suffered an injury and a new younger coach was coming in...that’s the only benefit I can see.

Trojan Man 30 and racea911 like this.