2018 Women's Soccer Playoff: SC Pulls Rank on LB

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by bell, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:07 PM.

1. 2018 Women's Soccer Playoff: SC Pulls Rank on LB
    bell

bell Active Member

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    With two goals in the first half and four in the second, USC dismantled LBSU with a 6-0 fusillade to end any well-concealed hope LB may have brought along for a monumental upset. For 2018, LB has conceded nine goals to the Trojans with no retaliation and it would take a heartless person not to feel sorry for LB ‘keeper Imani MacDonald who witnessed all nine goals in close proximity. (I'm not heartless). Surprisingly, no SC player scored more than one goal. SC will now host the winner of the LSU/Boston College clash at McAllister Field.

The goals were as follows:

FIRST HALF
    1) Notre Dame (yes, THE Irish, but she’s a local) transfer Natalie Jacobs from a header off a rebound from ‘keeper MacDonald in the 20th minute.
    2) Alea Hite, a left footer in the 26th minute.

SECOND HALF
    3) Tara McKeown, making up for the missed PK against UCLA.
    4) Leah Pruitt improvising with a knee from within 5 yards in the 63rd minute.
    5) Savannah Demelo’s 18-yarder in the 64th minute.
    6) Hailey Hite’s conversion from seven yards off a cross from the right side.

Unfortunately, newly-installed PAC 12 freshman of the year, striker Penelope Hocking, was helped off the field in the 47th minute with what looked like an ankle injury. It’s not wise to speculate on the severity of the injury but it is my hope that she won’t have to miss too many matches, otherwise SC would be denied a quality frontline player. The good thing about my ankle injuries is that I was never left with any lingering fears when they were allowed to completely heal. When not, they could be nagging.

I don’t know much about LSU or Boston College but I’ll go out on a limb to say SC wins and advances.

MediaCapital likes this.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM
    It will be LSU and it's not at McAllister. The next round moves to Tallahassee. 400 mile road trip for the Tigers, 2200 for the Women of Troy.

LSU and Boston ended up in pk's, 5 rounds. Mostly a toss-up game the entire time. LSU lacks overall speed and IMO, the weakest part of their game is set pieces, defending and executing. Corner kicks were lacking in skill level and they are on the short side so they got out-headered almost every time. I think their midfielders will find it difficult to keep up with our speed and I'm not sure they are ready for our foot skills. They do have a very good goalie.

3. bell

bell Active Member

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    THANKS VERY MUCH, uscvball

Corrections and update appreciated. I realized after I made the post that I'd got wrong info on the location. Do you know if a video of the LSU/BC clash exists somewhere? BTW, my call for an SC win was based on the McAllister location.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    I don't know if there's a video. I watched it online through ESPN+.

Without trying to be biased, unless we have a complete and total breakdown, I don't think there's any way we don't move on to the next round.

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    Certainly anything can happen at this point in the season but I watched the game Sunday. We are faster, run more sophisticated set pieces than they are used to, and we score.....a lot. The two highest ranked teams they either tied or beat are Auburn and Sakerlina. Auburn is #33 in the country for goals scored and Sakerlina isn't even top 50.

Unless they keep us out of the box for 90 minutes or we have some sort of total mental breakdown, there is no reason to think we won't move on. And as much as SEC fans like to rightly tout their conference for football, when it comes to soccer, the Pac 12 is head and shoulders.