2017 Scholarship Math

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanManDan132, Jun 14, 2016.

1. 2017 Scholarship Math
    TrojanManDan132

TrojanManDan132 Junior Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Garry - With 82 on the current roster & 14 seniors, it appears we have 17 spots open for 2017 class. Less one for the K Brown would make it 16. With normal off-season roster attrition due to guys leaving early, transfers, & medical hardships, I would expect we'll end up with about 20-22 rides available in February. Sound about right to you? How do you see those rides allocated? Here's my best guess:

1 QB, 2 RB, 3-4 WR/TE, 4-5 OL, 4-5 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB - Thoughts?

2. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jun 14, 2016
    Those numbers are as good of a guess as any, if the eventual number is going to be 20-21.

I would be pleasantly surprised if either of the lines get to 5 bodies in this class (more likely to happen on offense than defense).

3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Not counting DE/LB....

5 DL..? This reminds me of the famous Mora SR. don't talk to me about playoffs rant. 5 DL? players I'd be happy if we get one on the board. So far were getting shut out. Many of the big fellas have USC on their list but I'm really not hearing of a single guy that I could call a lock. I'm very confident with 1 OT and 1 OG.

I'm curious why we wouldn't lock up a few 3 star 300+ DTs.. now for insurance. I've always carried a few project players with exceptional size and most of the time these guys stepped up and produced once they started mixing it up with stronger players. Competition brings out the best in you. Some of these guys are not pushed enough on some teams.. I'd sign at least 2 350lbs guys and turn them lose.. they may not be as skilled you can teach technique but you can't teach size and they will always have a size advantage.

4. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Just to clarify; the Blueshirt counts against the 25 allowed scholarships, so there are currently 24 available for 2017. With 82 scholarships currently allocated for 2016, there's room for walk-ons or even another Blueshirt this year. But if it stays at 82, with 14 seniors leaving that would allow 17 scholarships for 2017. Assume at least 2 underclassmen (Adoree and JuJu) leaving early, and its 19. If any of the redshirt Juniors have topflight seasons they'll probably turn pro too. So your number of 20-22 is reasonable.

As far as your allocation; it also looks reasonable, however i could see one less WR, and an additional OL and LB given the number of seniors and juniors currently in these positions.

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 6 OL, 5 DL, 4 LB, 2 DB

5. USCDENTIST

USCDENTIST Junior Member

Jun 15, 2016
    I figure at least 4 or 5 underclassman leave.... Juju and adoree along with 2-3 others that think they are better than they are.

6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 15, 2016
    RS camp will give SC a indicator what DL have real interest.

7. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Medical redshirts and transfers are random chance, but are Juju and Adoree the only guys in the universe of potential early entrance?

I have no idea what the family situations or academic proclivities are for the three Samoan o-linemen that came in (Toa, Viane, and Mama), but they're all physical archtypes for the next level.

The OP is estimating 4 - 6 rides coming available to get to 20 - 22. I think if we're at 22 scholarships to be had, it will have either been a disastrous (Max Browne transfers, slew of career ending injuries, stars frustrated and take off) or magnificent (Juju and Adoree have seasons even better than our wildest dreams, and the offensive backfield could do their taxes post-snap).