#2 Women's Soccer suffers first loss of the season

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by norcalsurfer, Sep 30, 2018.

2. bell

bell Active Member

Sep 30, 2018
    DESPITE THE OUTCOME...

...the Trojans played very well in all departments and were not inferior to the Cardinal. I was impressed. No wonder it went into OT.

Going forward, I'd like to see more defensive awareness and more urgency in getting back on defense - they should always aim to outnumber the attacking offense. They should quickly close in on them and leave little daylight between them and the opposing attackers. If they had done this, the winning goal may have been prevented.

Offensively, they should take a little more time before shooting at goal to be sure the shot is within frame and packs a little more venom.

If I were AD Swann, I'd invite the coach for a chat and let him know the ingredients for a dynasty are in place and that he should establish that as a goal. He should be compensated accordingly to prevent him from being enticed by other programs.

Am I the only who seemed to notice that the analyst(?) to play up Stanford a little bit more. I don't remember his name but I may have heard him indicating he lived in the area (meaning somewhere near Stanford). If my perception is correct, someone ought to let him know that the broadcast is watched by Trojan fans also.

3. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Probably one of two on WeAreSC who even noticed the game.

So, tell us about the team. One to be excited about? Who are the star(s)? All the stuff the casual fan would want to know. 'Cause that's what's here, the casual fan of the team. But fans nonetheless.

Thanks. I'll take your answer off the air.

4. bell

bell Active Member

Oct 5, 2018
    ABSOLUTELY...

...this is a team you can be excited about. After winning it all in 2016, they had a "down" year in 2017 but still made the playoffs. For 2018, the coach Keidane McAlpine restocked his squad with some capable transfers and freshmen. Right, other than No 1 Stanford, they'd probably be favored against anybody on a neutral field. Since you describe yourself as a casual fan, know that they're the first PAC XII school to win two NCAA's even though USC is a latecomer in the game. Stanford also has won two, and UCLA one. UCLA could have a say in the runup to the championship as well.

Although, I prefer to see the team as opposed to individuals, senior forward Leah "Bulldozer" Pruitt (#35) has to be my favorite. She wouldn't juke you much, but her burly straight-to-the-goal approach endears her to people. She's capable of shooting effectively with both feet. Hate to see her leave after this year. Sophomore midfielder/forward Savannah DeMelo (#10) is probably the most skillful and celebrated having spent time with the US national team.

The defense is probably not as solid as the 2016 edition but they looked very good against Stanford. I haven't paid much attention to individuals but they seem to be led by senior central defender Ally Prisock (#23). I believe she was with the US Under-20 team in France this year for the World Cup.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper, Kailie Collins (#1) in my view is not quite the sure handed and reflexive 2016 keeper Prudhomme, but has looked much better since last year and I have confidence in her. Her goalkicks go farther than Prudhomme's whose goalkicks were her very poor and her only weakness. Senior forward, Hailey Hite (#24) caught my attention last week from the left side and I'll pay attention to her in the future. Junior English woman Ashleigh Plumptre (#23) provides solid experienced play on the left side the midfield. A hidden gem could be diminutive redshirt sophomore Daria Petredes (#6). She's calm and makes the best passes - seems to have a great soccer IQ.

These are the ones that quickly come to mind but I'm certain there are other good ones and I apologize to them for not singling them out. Go out and see them, or watch them on TV and you could be transformed into a passionate knowledgeable fan. I think they can improve their prospects if they do the things I mentioned above - defensive urgency and spending the extra nanosecond to improve their shots at goal.

Southern California is a hot bed for women's soccer and USC could become a dynasty if they could win and attract the best players from all over the country. I'd spend a little money to improve the structure of their home field and make sure the coach is not incentivized by other programs to leave.

901 Club likes this.