2 more parents Plead guilty - would you pay to get kid in ?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jul 11, 2020.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Would I pay to get my kid in? Not illegally, even if I were wealthy like these people.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Lots of people make donations to colleges to get their kids in. But the overwhelming majority don't commit fraud by pretending their kids are athletes.

aimeedee, Peete2Affholter and redeye like this.
  4. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Should people really be going to jail over this?

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Why didn’t they just donate to a dean & special program, lol. Kid must be dumber than a rock

oldtrojan93 likes this.
  6. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jul 13, 2020
    The Farm I would. or maybe one of the ivy-league schools

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Hell yes.

8. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    This is what I don't understand. Rich folks have, since time immemorial, basically greased the wheels to pave the way for their (unqualified) progeny to get choice assignments in colleges, institutions, jobs, etc.

Nobody would bat an eye if these parents donated a large sum of money to a school to secure admission for their kid who otherwise would have been laughed out of the admissions office. But they decided to commit fraud, which seems puzzling to me. Why do something illegal when something perfectly legal (if ethically questionable) is available for the same result?

aimeedee and crank31 like this.
  9. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Well said! As a poster said above, their progeny must have been dumb as rocks if they couldn't get them in the through the donation route. As an alumnus, I don't mind having children of university benefactors getting preferential treatment if the family has supported the university. But the whole athletics involvement is ridiculous. When is Haden getting hit with something?

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Will Pat’s right hand assistant, Donna talk since she is going to trial

11. SC Mindstorm

SC Mindstorm Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    My daughter got in cause she's smart as crap. I only say this to brag.

aimeedee and Troy70 like this.
  12. ak who

ak who Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Because these people are rich, but not donate a building rich. A 1M donation to SC might move the needle a little if your kid was on the cusp. But if your kid is dumb as box of rocks you are looking more in the 5M-10M range.

These people cheaped out and tried to get their kids in the backdoor by only paying 250K and none of it went to USC's pocketbook. That's why they are being prosecuted - they didn't play the usual college bribery game by the rules and the FBI was brought in to re-impress the University donation rules on this class of upstarts.

Georgetirebiter IV likes this.
  13. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    I bet the parents who paid bribes to get their kids in & got away with it feel stupid now since all they did was pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the right to have their kid log into school from a home computer. What...they gonna sue to get their bribes back? LOL!

14. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Peete2Affholter said:
    This is what I don't understand. Rich folks have, since time immemorial, basically greased the wheels to pave the way for their (unqualified) progeny to get choice assignments in colleges, institutions, jobs, etc.

Indeed the well connected(not all) has since day one blazed questionable trails to give their larvea better chances. My daughter from South Central LA, product of LA unified(I mostly home schooled her) graduate of Dartmouth College, would routinely confide in me how many would cheat on tests. The Big green functions behind an HONOR SYSTEM where professors were/are routinely absent during test takings.

My personal contract with my daughter(today an attorney) was to excel through hard un compromised efforts, not by any means !
    Many of the efforts we see around us worldwide seem to subscribe to the "BY ANY MEANS" theory. players taking enhancers, teams money man logging millions of travel miles distributing goodies, parents greasing hands for easier college and even team access for their kids, politicians taking bribes,,,,
    FALLING DOWN comes highly recommended,

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Larvae? So they are sub-human in your opinion.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  16. trojan9999

trojan9999 Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Not only would I not pay to get my kid in, my daughter was offered admission, but the total cost of attendance is insane these days, so she went elsewhere.

17. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Lol @ "larvae."

I would say they're more like hatchlings - the spawn of those reptilian lizard people who have no recognizable human compassion or empathy - a whole class of sociopaths.

Seriously though - human nature is why honor systems rarely work. Unless violation of the rules results in enormous damage to one's reputation, and thus future prospects for employment, advancement, etc. - there's often very little to prevent rule-breakers from doing what they do. Personally, I have always had an intense hatred for people who believe they are "above the law" and act as though rules only apply to the hoi polloi. So, I'm quite enjoying the discomfiture of these parents who figured they could do an end-run around other, more deserving kids who actually worked hard and obtained good grades and test scores.

18. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Any among us who partake in the art of Unfair competition belongs in the 'sub-Human category in my book. Sadly this applies to so many in societies. Daughters graduating class had 6 valedictorians , 2 she knew from sharing classes to be chronic cheaters; that valedictorian label will be a differentiator for them in the real world(no harm no foul), to the detriment of the kids who played fair.

alex rodriguez(not deserving of respect) berated a young pitcher once, a comeback of 'at least I didn't use Roids' would have been sweet. The fruit seldom falls far from the tree so if kids witness the underhanded practices of some parents to enroll them into top Universities; we should not be surprised by their Larvaes, BY ANY MEANS approach.

My greatest LOVES in sports are the Tiny Mite, Mitey Might, Tee ballers, youth basketball/soccer/hockey etc(no older than 10); beyond those ages much of the purity/beauty, Honesty of the game becomes harder to see or find.

19. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Fight on! My kids, too.

20. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Jul 19, 2020
    FWIW, I don't think being valedictorian makes that much of a difference in the real world, but it does stink that the kids cheated.