“Darnold in the rough”

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by DaFireMedic, Aug 20, 2019.

1. “Darnold in the rough”
    DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    After Sam lit it up in 2016, many here were looking at Jack Sears as being similar to Darnold, yet faster and more mobile. It sounds like he doesn’t yet match Sam’s ability to throw accurately on the run, but otherwise has many similar characteristics.

I’m not necessarily looking for a QB who is “just like Sam”, I want the QB who is best in this system to help the team win, whether it be Daniels or Sears (or Fink for that matter).

There’s no way to know until it happens, but I can’t help thinking that Sears may have that Darnold like ability to win, the “it” factor as seen in the Rose Bowl and Texas game, if given the chance.

TrojanFireHorse12 and racea911 like this.

2. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Interesting comparison, although Darnold was clearly a unique talent. He totally lit it up on the service team.

For all of Darnold’s skills, maybe his one flaw was his touch on the deep ball. Other than the memorable pass to Burnett in the Rose Bowl, I seem to recall him struggling to complete long passes.

3. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Im predicting Jack the starting QB!

4. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Aug 20, 2019
    I'll preface my post by saying I 1) have not seen one minute of spring ball, fall camp, or the showcase, and 2) I don't have a dog in the QB fight, so no decision will surprise or disappoint me.

That being said:

1) I have a hard time imagining Jack being as good as Sam because of just how special Darnold was. How Max Browne ever started is mind-boggling to me.

2) It's hard to start Sears assuming he's a "gamer" without seeing it consistently in practice.

3) Hearing the USC talking heads discuss it - with the exception of our own Greg Katz - it sounds like the consensus is the offense looks slightly better with JT at the helm through camp ("slightly" being the operative word).

To reiterate, though, I have no basis to judge these guys myself. Will be curious to hear the news this afternoon.

5. cannonballjamaal

cannonballjamaal Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    So the family of a San Clemente kid is backing another San Clemente kid. Got it.

Rainman44 likes this.
  6. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    I don't disagree with much of anything you wrote but the whole point of being a "gamer" is shining in games and situations at practice most resembling a game. We know USC doesn't practice much like it is a game. Sears is not a technically perfect "drills" guy but shines when the pressure is on and many of these drill guys fold when the pressure is on

Butcher22 and DaFireMedic like this.
  7. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Who thought he's faster and more mobile than, Sam? I don't recall anybody posting that. It's also just not the case.

8. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    The stopwatch thought he was faster than Sam. Sam ran a 4.95 in the 40 yard dash in high school and Sears ran a 4.66

Source ESPN recruiting.

9. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Aug 20, 2019
    I would as well.
    I am a big fan of Sears and think Helton would be smart to risk his career on him.
    But Helton can't even tie his own shoes from what I have heard.
    Reason he left Darnold on the bench when Darnold was clearly the superior QB.

10. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    I remember several posting this, and it doesn’t sound far fetched. Sam was a smart runner, great at improvising, scrambling, and running for yardage, but he wasn’t particularly fast. I believe his 40 time at the combine was 4.86 seconds. I don’t know Sears’ time, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it were faster. And I know looks can be deceiving, especially with how big Sam was, but Sears does look a little faster to me.