“Burnt ends”

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by flyfishintrojan, Sep 18, 2020.

1. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 18, 2020
    In Austin I loved Franklin and the Salt Lick Grill...great brisket at Franklin....and great Sausage at Salt Lick

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Franklins is really good.

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 18, 2020
    • Tri Tip definitely a California thing. Started in Central Coast area and spread from there mostly through the rural areas first as it was a cheaper cut of meat.
    • Burnt ends are typically my favorite part of the brisket
    • Pecan Lodge - 'nuff said

August West likes this.
  4. August West

Sep 18, 2020
    PC has the best brisket I’ve ever had.

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 18, 2020
    I mention tri tip to folks outside Cali and most don't know what I'm talking about. I grill a mean one.

6. August West

Sep 19, 2020
    On the flip side, brisket gets sent back to Texas, because they don’t use it out west.
    FYI, California is no slouch in heads of cattle battle. 5th in the nation behind Texas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma...But IMO, the quality of beef is better in the midwest.

We did tritip a lot on the grill when we lived out there.

Ill tell what we get here that isn’t common out west...Bison. Bison filets and ground bison for burgers and tacos is incredible. Very, very lean, quite healthy for red meat.

We grill a lot of ribeye and filets here.

7. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Buffalo meat is readily available in Orange County supermarkets, although it's more expensive than beef. I use it for burgers and pasta sauce. I prefer it to beef, and it's healthier.

8. August West

Sep 19, 2020
    No such thing as buffalo in North America. ;)

That’s good, it is better for you. Is prepackaged groundbeef? Or actually fresh ground from the butcher?

9. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 19, 2020
    To be correct, it’s called bison meat. We have two bison ranches below our place in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana.

There is no comparing the beef up here in Montana to that we put up with in SoCal.

August West likes this.
  10. August West

Sep 19, 2020
    That’s a fact!

11. Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

Sep 19, 2020
    I was bummed, but i have my choices but i was with other people, oh well. Dallas was fun though. Great story, we were there for jr boys volleyball championship. 1st day we did a bit of sightseeing. We went to TCU, whataburgrs (not as good as in n out) and the stockyards. Waze did not quite get me there but to a Mexican restaurant a couple of blocks away. I got out of the car and there were a group of ladies coming out of the restaurant. I asked for directions and the one woman (and daughter) asked me where I was from. I told them I was from California. She told me to go back home they do not need liberals from Calif here. The daughter stopped her mom and said do you see his son! Then I told her that we were conservative and my son is going to major in theology and wants to be a pastor. She started crying and asked for a hug and said she was sorry.

12. August West

Sep 19, 2020
    Ha! Great story. Yes, more like-minded individuals out here!

Whataburger is severely overrated. In n Out is superior! I grew up on the place....quick story about InO.

My father grew up in Baldwin Park in the 30s and 40s, totally different then. His older brother and him knew Harry Snyder. Hung out and played chess/cards in the first joint he built. The original one is gone.
    We went to his (and Esther’s) house for pool parties over in San Dimas when I was a wee tyke.
    My uncle on my mother’s side was a long time produce broker, he brokered InO with their lettuce, tomatoes and onions.
    All I ever got from them was a fat gut! lol
    It’s a lil different in Texas, only thing I can think of is the produce is a bit different here.

13. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Canadians call it bison and Americans call it buffalo. I'm an American, so to me, it's buffalo.

14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Very true. You don't find it in stores as often nor on menus. There's a meat market close to me that has just about everything including 3 different cuts of buffalo, 2 cuts of venison, capon, whole rabbit, quail, boar, pheasant and every friggin part of a lamb, pig, or cow. They do have brisket that is really good.

Best restaurant steak I ever had was at Dierdorf and Hart's in St Louis. It's closed now but it was a-maze-balls.

15. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 19, 2020
    793B2F0C-1AFC-4AD1-90B6-DA9DADC96FEF.jpeg

Did someone say Tri Tip?

16. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 19, 2020
    It is hard to find anyone that sells "full packers" in So Cal for sure. Most places that are selling brisket actually only have a 3lb to maybe 7 lb cut. Smoking anything less than a full cut is just not the same.

One of the butchers at the farmers market on 3rd and Fairfax had them last time I was there though.